In need of a tow from south Leicester towards Derby

Featured Posts

Hi all we’ve ran into some problems with our engine and we need to tow our 45ft narrow boat from its current location in south Leicester towards Derby. Where we have an engineer to help. 

We’re looking for people who would be going that way and willing to bring us along whatever distance they’re willing to. 

Thank you in advance

Put a sign out on your boat asking for a tow, and actually ask any passing boats. Be aware that any money changing hands will probably invalidate both boats insurance. But do have a few bottles of beer and wine on hand to handover at the end of a tow.

Edited by David Mack

Afraid I can't help in person - a long way from there right now.

I'm assuming you do mean a destination somewhere near to Derby (Shardlow/Willington/Langley Mill etc.) and not just a shorter distance in that direction?

Looking at the other thread, I can't help thinking this plan seems disproportionate to the likely problem.

Over that distance you're looking at two or three days of towing which is stretching the limits of generosity for any one stranger, or a lot of waiting about and flagging down boats in shorter stages.

Unless you have an unusually severe failure or a very unusual engine, someone local (or callout with a van) will be able to repair it. Possibly even yourself with guidance - responding to the various questions in the other thread would help.

I do wish you the best of luck with either approach. I remember how stressful it was trying to deal with problems in the first weeks of having my boat without contacts or experience.

Speak to your neighbours - avoid preconceived requests, just explain the situation and ask for advice - almost everyone I've met on the canals tries to be helpful, most will know something useful and a lot will be able to help in some way or at least put you in contact with someone who can.

Edited by Francis Herne
  • Greenie 4

Surely the answer is to get a tow to a safe mooring with road access then get a mobile engineer over. A tow from "somewhere on the GU Leicester Line" to "somewhere near Derby" could take days and you're unlikely to get one person to do it all.

• Greenie 1

I’m not sure why you can’t join and get an opinion off RCR ( River Canal Rescue). Yes some of the engineers are good, some bad but that applies to regular Marine Engineers in any case. It’s a bit difficult to help if you don’t explain any symptoms. I used RCR once and the guy was excellent and at the very least he will have a van full of tools. 
I suppose if you know the engine is severely damaged eg you have seized it it might be different but may I suggest you do try to get a second opinion even off a fellow enthusiastic narrow boater as whatever you think is wrong may not be as bad as you think and someone may be able to suggest even a temporary repair so you can travel under your own steam

good luck anyway it can be a pain breaking down

Thank you all. We contacted Canal rescue over a week ago now but they are up the walls. We’re on the waiting list so fingers crossed. 

I definitely wouldn’t expect anyone to tow us the full way it’s way too far but moving that direction bit by bit will just help at this time. We can’t leave it where it is and currently the earliest someone might be able to see it is later next week. 

The engine has definitely ceased and it’s a very long story as to how that happened and I’m being vague for a reason. Im also without a car at the minute so it’s difficult to deal with from a distance or as local boaters. 

thanks again everyone we’ll keep trying where we can quickest way to find connections is with a big problem 😂

• Love 1

4 hours ago, Lcharr said:

The engine has definitely ceased and it’s a very long story as to how that happened and I’m being vague for a reason. Im also without a car at the minute so it’s difficult to deal with from a distance or as local boaters.

Do you mean seized? Or is the engine just not starting? 

• Greenie 1

I can't help I'm afraid - too far from the Shroppie, but one point to note is that it would be useful to put your intended destination, Derby not currently being on a navigation.

You will eventually reach the junction between the Soar and the Trent, near Nottingham. I would seriously consider whether leaving the boat at Redhill whilst it gets sorted out is an option, either in the marina or on the field, as whilst you may well get towed in a series of steps as far as that, towing on the Trent would be a rather different proposition for most boaters.

If you really do need to be towed on the Trent, I would be inclined to contact Paul Barber. Establishing whether he can also help re. the engine would also be a question I would ask. @tom_c may also be able to help regarding the engine.

Alec

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, agg221 said:

I can't help I'm afraid - too far from the Shroppie, but one point to note is that it would be useful to put your intended destination, Derby not currently being on a navigation.

You will eventually reach the junction between the Soar and the Trent, near Nottingham. I would seriously consider whether leaving the boat at Redhill whilst it gets sorted out is an option, either in the marina or on the field, as whilst you may well get towed in a series of steps as far as that, towing on the Trent would be a rather different proposition for most boaters.

If you really do need to be towed on the Trent, I would be inclined to contact Paul Barber. Establishing whether he can also help re. the engine would also be a question I would ask. @tom_c may also be able to help regarding the engine.

Alec

Towing down the Soar won't exactly be fun - even if they breast up.

3 minutes ago, StephenA said:

Towing down the Soar won't exactly be fun - even if they breast up.

No, but someone experienced might be prepared to help with that bit, and at least it is down river and the right time of year that the rain may stop for a bit!

Alec

Bit of an update…. We now just need to get from Debdale to the nearest road access point to allow the Canal Rescue to replace the engine. I’m not quite sure where the nearest road access is so if anyone has any ideas please do let me know. We’re glad to be making some progress 🙂

You can access the canal from Debdale gated road, you can also access from Gumley bridge, 1/2 mile away. Its such a quiet road, you could even moor under the bridge for lift out and back in again.

Screenshot_20240620-202333_Maps.jpg

How do we know exactly where you are? If you can get on here, surely you can have a look on Google maps and work out where you are or look at a Nicholson Guide, you may be nearer to a road than you think and could haul the boat by hand, instead of just sitting there for days waiting for a tow??

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Lcharr said:

Bit of an update…. We now just need to get from Debdale to the nearest road access point to allow the Canal Rescue to replace the engine.

Are you for real? 

Never answer questions, and now this.

Forgive my cynicism. 

• Haha 1

Thanks everyone. It’s not possible to haul from current location and as we mentioned were new to boating and the RCR weren’t sure of the nearest road access point in the moment so I’m unsure what type of spot is actually needed in order to do that work that’s why I thought I’d ask here. 

I’ll check with them if any of these spots will work. Thanks for your help

I happen to know there is a boat at Debdale Wharf with a seized engine are you close enough to Debdale to discuss with them what they are doing? You both seem to be in the same situation, they left for Shardlow on the morning of the 8th and ended up driving (in a van) back to the Marina the same day, they were still there on Monday.

1 hour ago, Lcharr said:

Thanks everyone. It’s not possible to haul from current location ...

Confused. If it can be towed then surely it can be hauled?

Edited by Cheese
Typo