Anodes

Featured Posts

Hi Folks,

I have a feeling this question has been asked a hundred times or more BUT....can anyone advise me as to the best anodes. Our 23 year old, 45ft boat we have had for 2 years has a 2 pack epoxy bottom and is getting blacked next month. It was last done 9 years ago and the existing anodes are that old. There is so much variety out there it is difficult to choose what might be best.

Cheers,

John

1 hour ago, Amphibian Man said:

Hi Folks,

I have a feeling this question has been asked a hundred times or more BUT....can anyone advise me as to the best anodes. Our 23 year old, 45ft boat we have had for 2 years has a 2 pack epoxy bottom and is getting blacked next month. It was last done 9 years ago and the existing anodes are that old. There is so much variety out there it is difficult to choose what might be best.

Cheers,

John

Do you know that it actually needs new anodes? Their age doesn't matter if there's still plenty of sacrificial metal present. 

1 minute ago, Machpoint005 said:

Do you know that it actually needs new anodes? Their age doesn't matter if there's still plenty of sacrificial metal present. 

And scrubbed clean with a wire brush so they can work.  If they're caked up they don't do anything as they can't react.

How necessary are anodes? It used to be standard (I think) to have two up front and two at back, now it appears there’s a need to have them at regular intervals down the sides. 
Are anodes simply easy money for the yard?

I’ve been given mixed advice. 
Those fitting them obviously recommend them. A well regarded surveyor, if I understood him correctly, recommended I just have one either side at the stern. 

🤷‍♀️

1 hour ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

How necessary are anodes? It used to be standard (I think) to have two up front and two at back, now it appears there’s a need to have them at regular intervals down the sides. 
Are anodes simply easy money for the yard?

I’ve been given mixed advice. 
Those fitting them obviously recommend them. A well regarded surveyor, if I understood him correctly, recommended I just have one either side at the stern. 

🤷‍♀️

The general consensus is that anodes are only effective for a couple of metres either side, in which case extra ones on the sides make sense. On the other hand, if the below water paint is in good condition, there is little for the anodes to do, although it makes sense to fit near the stern, due to the presence of dissimilar, and less active, metals in the stern gear (stainless steel prop shaft, bronze propeller, etc). If they're fitted, and not needed, they should last a long time, so not much to lose by fitting them anyway!

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Yup :

Magnesium for 'fresh' water

Aluminium for Brackish water (mixture of Salt and fresh water - tidal rivers, estuaries etc)

Zinc for Salt water.

Aluminium anodes may be used on fresh or salt water .

I have used Aluminium anodes on my GRP cruiser for over a decade and have no corrosion issues (no the anodes don't last that long but I change them every 2 years which is well before they are completely worn out) .

I am not sure whether Aluminium anodes are available in the form required for a narrowboat .

PS my boat is kept in fresh water with occasional salty water trips