A new twist

Featured Posts

This image shows a new development in narrow boat design, even if it cannot pass under a bridge or through a tunnel. Is it the CRT answer to limiting movement on their waterways. If not what is it?

pwzdfkhr.png

3 minutes ago, Heartland said:

Is it art anyway or a waste of money ?

Doesn't that just depend on whether you think art is a waste of money or not?

Municipal art is never just a "a waste of money".

It's a waste of OUR money. Our Council tax usually.

Ermmmm....

Edited by MtB
  • Greenie 1

Exactly, thanks folks.

May be we should return the past and tar and feather the artist !

But then these are woke times and the unworthy have precedence over the worthy. The present Doctor Who is a good example and a reason not to watch BBC programs.

• Haha 1

From a historical point of view Tinsley is on the Sheffield Canal and associated with the Sheffield steel industry. Previous to the canal the Don was navigable to a point and it is part of the improved Don Navigation (which changed from time to time as it was improved and developed) and which the Sheffield Canal was associated. The craft being of the type that were wider than narrow boats and if a piece of art is needed then something that reflects working boat times would be better than a narrowboat which is the present general user of the waterway.

I wonder what other ideas were put forward and rejected,

Your right, Sheffield/Tinsley could be telling us more about it’s past,

so perhaps it’s the panel of council judges who should be tarred and feathered?

watched a couple of episodes of the new Dr Who and enjoyed them, the stories are total bonkers, 

1 hour ago, Heartland said:

From a historical point of view Tinsley is on the Sheffield Canal and associated with the Sheffield steel industry. Previous to the canal the Don was navigable to a point and it is part of the improved Don Navigation (which changed from time to time as it was improved and developed) and which the Sheffield Canal was associated. The craft being of the type that were wider than narrow boats and if a piece of art is needed then something that reflects working boat times would be better than a narrowboat which is the present general user of the waterway.

I don’t know how far large commercial boats got to Sheffield, looking at the bridges in the city center and the shallows of the river I doubt they would get close. Hence the canal being build in 1819 to get right into the city centre.

@beerbeerbeerbeerbeer I wouldn’t be concerned of not knowing of Tinsley or the Sheffield & Tinsley canal, as the majority of people living in Sheffield know nothing about it or that it’s even there, never mind knowing the history of the canal and Victoria Quays.

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth

59 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

I wonder what other ideas were put forward and rejected, ...

spacer.pngThe same artist's 2017 plan  for five chimney alongside Tinsley canal. C&RT supported the idea but no money emerged from anywhere ...

On 18/05/2024 at 22:43, MtB said:

Municipal art is never just a "a waste of money".

It's a waste of OUR money. Our Council tax usually.

Ermmmm....

From an earlier report:  " the sculpture will be funded by Meadowhall owners British Land and energy company E.ON, which operates the Blackburn Meadows Biomass Power Plant."

1 hour ago, PeterScott said:

spacer.pngThe same artist's 2017 plan  for five chimney alongside Tinsley canal. C&RT supported the idea but no money emerged from anywhere ...

Not forgetting that Tinsley had two iconic 'chimneys' until they were demolished in 2008.

500px-Tinsley_Viaduct_and_Blackburn_Towe

18 hours ago, David Mack said:

Not forgetting that Tinsley had two iconic 'chimneys' until they were demolished in 2008.

500px-Tinsley_Viaduct_and_Blackburn_Towe

They used to be one of those landmarks you'd see on the way up the M1 and know you were getting closer to home, just not the same now :( all there is to look forward to is the speed restriction on the viaduct

Well Glen mentions Dr Who story line as totally bonkers, sadly there have been intelligent and interesting episodes which relate to its sci fi links. When David Tennant started the present run they were in that class

But then like all things it is for those to like or dislike.

I may have commented too early. The first episode I thought was good fun and totally bonkers with the babies running the ship. 
But this latest episode was dull and pointless. 
We shall have to see how things develop (or not).

I’m still a Tom Baker fan. 
And I think it was the Terrance Dicks books I used to read. But not sure about that, I’d have to check.  The earlier cybermen and all. 
The sea monsters used to frightened me. 
And yes, a fan of John Pertwee too. 

I wonder were there any canal related Dr Who episodes ??

27 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

I may have commented too early. The first episode I thought was good fun and totally bonkers with the babies running the ship. 

And I think it was the Terrance Dicks books I used to read. But not sure about that, I’d have to check.  The earlier cybermen and all. 

Not to my knowledge 

17 hours ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

I was hoping you’d join the conversation 👍

What do you think of the new Dr Who and the stories?

I think the new stories are a load of rubbish and no longer watch them :(

Years ago I wrote a Dr Who story where the doctor is a woman, Bob Baker and Dave Martin thought it was a good idea, the BBC decided that it would never happen. Below is a picture I took of Terrance Dicks (left) and Bob Baker. Bob holding my script.

100_2995.jpg

Edited by Laurie Booth
  • Happy 1

18 minutes ago, Laurie Booth said:

I think the new stories are a load of rubbish and no longer watch them :(

Years ago I wrote a Dr Who story where the doctor is a woman, Bob Baker and Dave Martin thought it was a good idea, the BBC decided that it would never happen. Below is a picture I took of Terrance Dicks (left) and Bob Baker. Bob holding my script.

100_2995.jpg

Was that the new Dr on the left hand side that you cut from the picture?

19 hours ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

It has been a real treat to  relive my youth by watching the earlier Dr Whos on iplayer recently. My Doctor is, and always has been Tom Baker, but it was interesting to watch some of the earlier ones. The best of the reboots for me was David Tennant, followed closely by Christopher Eccleston. I've stopped watching the new ones now because they have all become a bit silly. I have a suspicion they may be aimed at children. The real question though, is not Who is the best Who, but Who was Whos best companion. Of course, its all relative,and given enough time and space, maybe they were all great.

I always thought Roger Waters might be a good Doctor....

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
You fritter and waste the hours in an off-hand way
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way

Tired of lying in the sunshine, staying home to watch the rain
And you are young and life is long, and there is time to kill today
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
Racing around to come up behind you again
Sun is the same, in a relative way, but you're older
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death