Going back to the same places from a marina?

Featured Posts

We live in a Marina, so the places we’ll tend to reach within the time we have available to do so often, will be limited. 

but there are places near us with bridges and car parks, so we do venture out for a couple of weeks sometimes, but in between we have commitments that require both of us to be with both cars so we go back to the Marina for a couple of months. Because of this we try to stay only a day or two away. 

so are we allowed to go back to the same spot for another 14 days due to us officially having residence in that area?

We wouldn’t go back to that one back to back, there’s 2/3 we go to. One of us actually have to go into work daily so needs a car almost permanently. 

Just a side note:

we have time off in July, going to do the entire Leicester / East Midlands ring from Fradley. Try and do have on our week off and then spread the rest over 3/4 weekends. Given we don’t get stuck anyways. 

1 minute ago, Kane Brennan said:

We live in a Marina, so the places we’ll tend to reach within the time we have available to do so often, will be limited. 

but there are places near us with bridges and car parks, so we do venture out for a couple of weeks sometimes, but in between we have commitments that require both of us to be with both cars so we go back to the Marina for a couple of months. Because of this we try to stay only a day or two away. 

so are we allowed to go back to the same spot for another 14 days due to us officially having residence in that area?

We wouldn’t go back to that one back to back, there’s 2/3 we go to. One of us actually have to go into work daily so needs a car almost permanently. 

Just a side note:

we have time off in July, going to do the entire Leicester / East Midlands ring from Fradley. Try and do have on our week off and then spread the rest over 3/4 weekends. Given we don’t get stuck anyways. 

My understanding is that if you have registered a home mooring with CaRT then you can go back to the same spot, BUT you may have to satisfy CaRT that you were back in the marina in between.

59 minutes ago, Kane Brennan said:

Just a side note:

Ask CRT for advice?

you’ll get a whole lot of conflicting advice on here regarding a question such as that,

you may end up choosing the advice you like hearing and it may be the wrong advice.

however, having said that, I am of the same thought as Tony above,

but not entirely sure

48 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

Ask CRT for advice?

you’ll get a whole lot of conflicting advice on here regarding a question such as that,

you may end up choosing the advice you like hearing and it may be the wrong advice.

however, having said that, I am of the same thought as Tony above,

but not entirely sure

I wrote to CRT when the T&C changes came in, and they confirmed that, as they put it, the clock gets reset every time you go back to your home mooring, so it's perfectly possible to return to the same pub every weekend, or spend time in other areas close to home regularly. It's only common sense, really, as most home moorers can only go short distances most of the time.

Whether you could go and stay in the same spot for a fortnight, nip home for a night, and repeat endlessly without CRT getting stroppy is moot, however (not that the OP wants to do that, anyway), as the statutory right for 14 days in a place is only for those without a home mooring.

This is exactly how we tend to boat, we go out for a week or two to some of our favourite local spots, this might involve a two day stay on a 48hr mooring and then a few spots not on VMs. Then back to the marina for a night or two or maybe longer then out again.

10 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

This is exactly how we tend to boat, we go out for a week or two to some of our favourite local spots, this might involve a two day stay on a 48hr mooring and then a few spots not on VMs. Then back to the marina for a night or two or maybe longer then out again.

Me too. Couple of days in Congleton or through the Harecastle to Westport Lake, then home. When I moored at Stoak near Ellesmere Port, I used to trundle down to Chester for a few days every couple of weeks. Beat trying to park the car.

Then a few times a year I get out for longer.

6 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

as long as you all leave a space at me favourite pub moorings 😎

You may struggle at Great Haywood as the same traders have been on the two day VMs for the last six days now.

5 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

You may struggle at Great Haywood as the same traders have been on the two day VMs for the last six days now.

I can possibly guess who they are. 😃

It’s odd down South. Whilst trading around the midlands seems to have increased ten fold and more over the last few years, Ive only come across one other trader down here. 

I guess boaters down here have proper jobs, on the main they’re young and commute to London from wherever they moor. 

oh, there is the poo boat and of course coal boats down here. 

Surely if you have a home mooring and you're not a continuous cruiser then you're not expected to satisfy the rules of continuous cruising? To me that's just common sense. If you ask CRT you'll probably get some Herbert lacking in that department who will misinterpret the rules and tell you that once you've spent 14 days in a certain area you can't come back that year, etc. 

Simply put, if you're not a CCer then assume the rules for CCing don't apply to you unless someone in authority tells you otherwise, in which case you'll have to get them to explain how someone with a home mooring in the area is subject to those CCing rules.

Edited by blackrose

4 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Surely if you have a home mooring and you're not a continuous cruiser then you're not expected to satisfy the rules of continuous cruising? To me that's just common sense. If you ask CRT you'll probably get some Herbert lacking in that department who will misinterpret the rules and tell you that once you've spent 14 days in a certain area you can't come back that year, etc. 

Simply put, if you're not a CCer then assume the rules for CCing don't apply to you unless someone in authority tells you otherwise, in which case you'll have to get them to explain how someone with a home mooring in the area is subject to those CCing rules.

Only if you want to bother going to court. The T&Cs you accept with your licence state we all have to follow the same cruising rules. Nowt to do with Herberts, the law gives non-home moorers the right to stay 14 days. Home moorers have no such right to stay moored anywhere for any length of time not otherwise stated, probably on a blue sign; it's a concession for the sake of simplicity and possibly even fairness that the rule is applied to us too. Rocking the boat (to coin a phrase) is likely, as usual, to have unforeseen consequences.

17 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Only if you want to bother going to court. 

Only what if I want to bother going to court? I don't understand what you're saying? Asking for an explanation means going to court. That's nonsense. 

If CRT seriously suggests that people with home moorings can't come back to an area l then people with boats in marinas who work for a living and who are quite limited in terms of how far they can go on weekends are then effectively forced to stay at their moorings. That doesn't seem very reasonable given the licence fees they pay.

19 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

... the law gives non-home moorers the right to stay 14 days. Home moorers have no such right to stay moored anywhere for any length of time not otherwise stated, probably on a blue sign

First you say we all have to follow the same cruising rules and then you seem to contradict yourself by saying that CCers actually have additional cruising/mooring rights compared to home moorers. 

Edited by blackrose

36 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Only what if I want to bother going to court? I don't understand what you're saying? Asking for an explanation means going to court. That's nonsense. 

If CRT seriously suggests that people with home moorings can't come back to an area l then people with boats in marinas who work for a living and who are quite limited in terms of how far they can go on weekends are then effectively forced to stay at their moorings. That doesn't seem very reasonable given the licence fees they pay.

First you say we all have to follow the same cruising rules and then you seem to contradict yourself by saying that CCers actually have additional cruising/mooring rights compared to home moorers. 

Look it up, or read one of the thousands of times this has been explained on here since the glorious days of Nigel Moore. I'm slightly amazed there is still such ignorance about. I can only assume it's deliberate.

CCers do have mooring rights (and therefore limitations) by law that home moorers don't. The T&Cs contradict this by imposing the same conditions on home moorers. If you want to make a fuss (dunno why anyone would), you'll have to take CRT to court.

As I said (you do appear to have trouble with comprehension, so I'll say it again) CRT says the "clock" resets every time someone returns to their home mooring, so they can stay (by concession, because a home moorer has no right under the various Acts to stay anywhere off their mooring except overnight) another two weeks in the same place as before without a problem.

Asking  CRT for an explanation isn't a problem. If only you could understand English you'd have seen that's exactly what I did. Trying to claim "rights" you don't qualify for might land you in trouble, while being grateful for the latitude kindly given by CRT, won't.

I apologise for the longwindedness of my reply, but I've tried to cover everything to avoid another response arising from someone who either can't be bothered to read a post properly or who deliberately misunderstands in order to pick a quarrel.

On 06/05/2024 at 16:28, Rob-M said:

And the other day they had the cheek to tell me to slow down even though I was on tickover!

2 hours ago, Grassman said:

And the other day they had the cheek to tell me to slow down even though I was on tickover!

Nobody's ever asked us to slow down since we got the new boat, even at Great Haywood... 😉 

Edited by IanD

1 hour ago, IanD said:

Nobody's ever asked us to slow down since we got the new boat, even at Great Haywood... 😉 

Is that because it travels so quickly and silently that you have passed before they realise and have begun to rock on the following waves?  :)

5 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Is that because it travels so quickly and silently that you have passed before they realise and have begun to rock on the following waves?  :)

the other week I was going like the clappers and the boat following behind got the abuse 😂

early morning, the boat behind was sharing locks so kept up, at a nice distance,

I reckon the folk must have been woken by me and by the time they got outta bed it was the bloke behind who got the bother. 

I’d have told them it were their wake up call for church (it being a Sunday)

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I suspect I'd get away with that if I was feeling sufficiently selfish... 😉

But I've been going past at similar (i.e. relatively slow) speeds to what I did on diesel boats, where I regularly got "Slow down!" shouts from the usual angry culprits, so I suspect they're fooled by the lack of noise triggering their response. I always suspected that it was engine noise not wake that made them pop out, and this seems to have confirmed this...

45 minutes ago, IanD said:

(snip)

But I've been going past at similar (i.e. relatively slow) speeds to what I did on diesel boats, where I regularly got "Slow down!" shouts from the usual angry culprits, so I suspect they're fooled by the lack of noise triggering their response. I always suspected that it was engine noise not wake that made them pop out, and this seems to have confirmed this...

The converse was a friend with a boat fitted with a Beta Propgen, where the engine stays at 1500 rpm, with the propeller speed controlled by a trolling valve. Occasionally shouted at, even though hardly moving.

Just now, Iain_S said:

The converse was a friend with a boat fitted with a Beta Propgen, where the engine stays at 1500 rpm, with the propeller speed controlled by a trolling valve. Occasionally shouted at, even though hardly moving.

I haven't had the same issue passing other boats with the (1500rpm) generator running, but I suspect it's quieter than a Beta Propgen from outside the boat (smaller engine, better noise/vibration isolation).

On 08/05/2024 at 14:22, IanD said:

I'm honestly wondering if the whole 'slow down' thing has become a bit of a farce, or a pretence.

I almost always do it myself, because it feels polite and because old habits die hard, but my impression is that not many boats return the courtesy.

At Great Haywood last week many boats seemed to be going almost flat out, let alone slowing down. 

At Rugeley a few days later, more boats seemed to slow down a bit, but a significant minority didn't.

Outside Tattenhall marina a while back, it almost felt like some people seemed to accelerate when passing boats.

There's no consistency, and there are not enough people observing this 'courtesy/rule', for it to make any sense- well not for me anyway. 

Personally I will always slow down when passing moored boats, but I'm starting to wonder if its a waste of time asking all boaters to do so. 

It gives moaning gits a chance to tell people off (often without real cause), and it builds an expectation that is simply not going to be realised in most cases/situations, leading to resentment and occasional friction.

So I'm just wondering if it would be more pragmatic to ask boaters to just keep to a reasonable cruising speed when passing?

2.5 or 3mph say (using your own judgement/experience of your boat speed)?

To throw a cat among the pigeons, why do boats slow down when passing moored boats? Surely if the moored boat was moored properly it wouldn't move. Ok, if the boat is on pins it it not easy to moor so securely, but on rings or Armco it should be possible to moor in such a way that passing boats don't move your boat at all.  Perhaps we are tackling the problem of moving boats from the wrong angle.

Stands back and waits for the sparks to fly 😀

• Greenie 4