Best oil for BMC 1500?

jhodgski

Featured Posts

27 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I thought the A40 Cambridges had the 1200cc Austin engine but could be wrong, it certainly was never a diesel. The only Cambridge diesel was the A60 then seemed to be aimed at the taxi market.

As I  remeber it:

A40 - Petrol 1200cc

A50 & A55 - 1500 cc petrol B series

A60 - 1600 cc almost all had petrol B series.

My A60 certainly had a B series petrol and it was a very nice engine. I did a head gasket in an evening and new bearings in the gearbox was pretty easy, not like modern cars. I do remember a rather complicated front suspension and an unbelievably unreliable SU fuel pump though.

54 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

It does of course depend on which A40 model, the later one was a totally different animal from the old Cambridge A40. Was it the first hatch back?

There is every chance the A40 Farina (the little one) may well have been the first hatch back. I had one and loved it, good pragmatical  car, apart from the front pressed wishbones & trunnions.

4 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

There is every chance the A40 Farina (the little one) may well have been the first hatch back. I had one and loved it, good pragmatical  car, apart from the front pressed wishbones & trunnions.

And now the norm is pressed tin suspension arms!  Progress?  Are we far enough off topic now to avoid Liquid Molly butting in?

Just now, Tracy D'arth said:

And now the norm is pressed tin suspension arms!  Progress?  Are we far enough off topic now to avoid Liquid Molly butting in?

It was the way the trunnion developed a crank over time so it was impossible to unscrew that wound me up, not the pressed tin.

Like F1 cars flimsy suspension is done on purpose. In the event of the cars wheels clouting something really solid the suspension should bust instead of solid lumps of metal suspension punching and distorting the whole body shell and possibly trapping the occupants. A safety thing. 

8 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

It does of course depend on which A40 model, the later one was a totally different animal from the old Cambridge A40. Was it the first hatch back?

Same result as entering A60 into Millers oil finder:

Millers Oils recommends for your
Austin A40 (1947-1956) A40 Cambridge GS5 [1954 - 1956]

If you can't find what you are looking for please contact our technical help desk on 01484 475060.

ENGINE

Capacity

Capacity 4,57 litre

Use — Normal

Intervals

Change 5000 km

Recommended Products

Use — Initial service

Intervals

Change 800 km

Recommended Products

11 hours ago, bizzard said:

Like F1 cars flimsy suspension is done on purpose. In the event of the cars wheels clouting something really solid the suspension should bust instead of solid lumps of metal suspension punching and distorting the whole body shell and possibly trapping the occupants. A safety thing. 

I hit a curb in my Dad's cavalier - suspension basically ripped things off and pushed the floor of the drivers well up by 4 inches...... wasn't very nice at all.