Ovaltine boat William

moggyjo

Featured Posts

Doesn't the book "Walkers of Ricky", I don't have it any more, have a list of the Wanders boats? I heard 16 pairs. Your list seems to imply most ex-GUCC boats but my impression was that Wanders commissioned their own mostly. Albert certainly predates the 1935-6 fleet.

Enid was 'free to collector' on the southern Grand Union about 10 years ago. Nearly i did, but common sense kicked in.

Albert - Georgette

Harry - Lily

Percy - Gertrude

george - Catherine

James - Elizabeth

Thomas - Elizabeth Ann

Charles - Susie

William - Polly

Were the boats commissioned by A. Wander ltd. The rest were second hand.

The motors Isis and Grus became Jimmy and Cecil

Butties Hebe and Ursa became Ray and Enid

They bought Arcturus and Hector

Got motor Mimas

Edited by carlt

Thank you carl, my lists are from photographs Ive seen and articles Ive read that list is most appreciated.

Andy you really should subscribe to Narrow Boat magazine. As I suspect Carl does.

When is the update of your website happening?

Paul

Its a WIP paul, I am updating the pages now and adding further pages for the early hire boats and some about the boat families too, xmas and some health issues have slowed me down somewhat but its getting there. I keep dropping hints about narrowboat, I might have to swap subs from WW in order to get it though .... and then theres the mater of getting back issues too.

Andy you really should subscribe to Narrow Boat magazine. As I suspect Carl does.

I've never actually seen a copy, though I really ought to.

I took the info from the Walker's of Ricky book, though I think they're in another one I've got, somewhere.

• 6 years later...

I lived at beauchamp lodge from 1965 to 1972 , I know the barge William well spent all my summer holidays on it Alan ......alan17suffling@btinternet.com

Then we must have met on many occassions. I was one of the crew of Pisces for exacty the same period of time. We often travelled with William to IWA rallys. Do you know what happened to Dennis Jewiss (Bosun), someone on the forum was asking about him several years ago.

Edited by David Schweizer

• 9 years later...
On 17/12/2007 at 22:17, greywolf said:

I suppose reproducing one as suggested would cost 30 or 40 thousand in it's working rig.

The materials for a wood boat will set you back about  £100K at todays prices, and more if you want better quality Oak. It takes about 2 man years worth of effort to build a wooden boat once you know what your at, so with overheads that's about another £200K Now you can get rid of all that last number by doing it yourself but you will need a continuous supply of mates to help you, and retaining them for two years is really hard.

Owning a wooden boat is a stupid thing to do.

--

Cheers Ian Mac

9 hours ago, Ian Mac said:

--

Cheers Ian Mac

How about if someone "owns" three wooden boats? I think of it as more of a very expensive  adoption scheme  rather than any sense of owning.🙂

• Horror 1

11 hours ago, Ian Mac said:

The materials for a wood boat will set you back about  £100K at todays prices, and more if you want better quality Oak. It takes about 2 man years worth of effort to build a wooden boat once you know what your at, so with overheads that's about another £200K Now you can get rid of all that last number by doing it yourself but you will need a continuous supply of mates to help you, and retaining them for two years is really hard.

--

Cheers Ian Mac

It can be done for a lot less than that (speaking from personal experience) but you do need labour.

Alec