Worcester & Birmingham Canal

davidk65

Featured Posts

Can the Tardbeigge locks be done single handed?

Once you start the flight, any direction, do you have to keep going until it's all done or is there the possibility of moorings within the pounds of the flight?

Any comments and suggestion welcome.

Simple answer - yes . Have done it single handed many times there are a number of the lock pounds that you can stop in or even overnight if you have had enough . Its a lot quicker going up the flight than down - due to leaking gates and therefore self emptying locks . The ground paddles can be hard work on some of the locks as they are rather stiff. There are good visitor moorings below the top lock and below lock 29 by the Queens Head Pub so I use these as my starting points. If single handed usually do the 30 in about 5 hours , if two handed have done it in just over 3 hours.

Simple answer  -  yes . Have done it single handed many times  there are a number of the lock pounds that you can stop in or even overnight if you have had enough . Its a lot quicker going up the flight than down - due to leaking gates and therefore self emptying locks . The ground paddles can be hard work on some of the locks as they are rather stiff. There are good visitor moorings below the top lock and below lock 29 by the Queens Head Pub so I use these as my starting points. If single handed usually do the 30 in about 5 hours , if two handed have done it in just over 3 hours.

Hi Richard.

Many thanks for the information. Been a great help. Thank you.