Warwickshire Ring - with 6th Formers

Jon

Featured Posts

• 2 weeks later...

Oooh posh new Invision System - someones been spending money!

I was trying to reply to a thread in the old forum. Mainly about whether it was a good idea to do the Stourport Ring via Wolverhampton - all things are possible!

I have booked the boats, sadly there is no-one apart from Willow Wren (very nice but VERY basic, engine wasn't at its best) who actually has two large 12 berth boats from one base that start on a saturday. So I have had to hire one from Alvechurch and one from Tardebigge - not the best solution, but they are nice boats I think.

Might not do the Wolverhampton part of the ring as after reading the article about the BCN in this months Canal Boat Mag, I fancy taking them round some of the more interesting parts of B'ham. Mooring at the BCM on the sunday, spending some time there, then gently making our way back through the Netherton Tunnel via some of the more interesting bits of Birmingham.

Its great this year being our second year of running this, its really oversubscribed. I am very close to needing a third boat - hurray!

I would like to moor in B'ham on the saturday night (its either that or by the pub just south of Wast Hills tunnel. I guess Cambrian Basin and the Firkin pub will make it unpleasant, what about Oozells Street Loop? ANy thoughts. I realise that this will mean getting off very promptly on the saturday, but hey when you've 10 labourers to load the boats its easy!

Thoughts greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Jools

:rolleyes:

FOR ORIGINAL THREAD SEE HERE

The Alvechurch-Birmingham-Netherton-Stourbridge-Stourton-Worcester-Alvechurch ring is 74 miles and 105 locks and will take about 50 hours of cruising. That doesn't leave much time for breaks when you don't start until Saturday afternnon and have to be back early the following Saturday. Don't forget that in the summer this is one of the most popular rings in the country and is very, very busy! The Wolverhampton alternative will take a bit longer because of the extra distance.

The run into Birmingham will take the best part of 4 hours from Alvechurch and a bit longer from Tardebigge Boats. Don't bank on getting away early from Alvechurch. When we hired from them, they were always very laid back and despite being very good at loading we seldom got away before 3.30pm. Leaving it that late means that you will have trouble finding a quiet mooring in Birmingham. Don't bank on the Oozells Street Loop. Most of it is taken up with a boatyard and long term moorings. I've always found the best spot to be on the main line between the two ends of the loop but you do need to get there early in the summer. I would stop at Hopwood, south of Wast Hill Tunnel, and make an early start on Sunday morning - Bacon butties, strong coffee, a fag and fresh air! (Wish I could go now)

I think the trip through Netherton, round to Merry Hill, down the Delph and the Stourbridge flight is to be preferred for the variety to the run down Woverhampton. And altogether, the ring is well worth the trip. It has almost everyhing you could want. I hope that you and your team of young tyros enjoy it thoroughly.

Edited by Paul Evans

A overnight mooring at Merry Hill can be good if you have a lot of young and lively people on board. A lot safer than loosing everyone around birmingham as well!

Edited by stuart

Have contacted Dudley Tunnel Trust, and if we moor in Park Head Basin on the Sunday night, for a small charge they are going to collect us in the moring and take us through the tunnel to the BCM, then either return us by boat in the afternoon or arrange a minibus for a small extra charge.

What a bunch of dudes!

Shame hire boats won't fit though, as the experience of being towed ought to be interesting, though they will be able to have a go at legging, and feel what it was like to be a toe rag!

:rolleyes:

It is quite strange how teenagers respond to narrow boats. We have had a teenager with us just for the summer who has now found a job here and is staying permanently (well for now.)

It seems to me that there is a certain calming effect the river and canal has, especially with the energy of turning the locks and the demands of the skill of good boatmanship.

More young people need to get on boats and get involved instead of throwing stones at us.

My sons, now 18 and 20, have just opted to come with my husband, Nick, and myself on our 6th consecutive canalling holiday. I think they are truly hooked even if it is for different reasons. Beer and good food seem to feature quite a lot. Of course, the lure of someone else paying will always be attractive to students, but they have to work hard at being 'on holiday'. Andy and Matt actually stipulate that there have to lots of locks, so Nick and I are saving the 'easy' routes for when they finally decide holiday without Mum and Dad is a better bet.

As has been said many times there are all sorts of people on the canals, and watching from afar I have seen many different reactions to Andy and Matt. As knowledgeable, willing and able crew they often help out other boats, but we have found that some people are really rude to them (though they will happily talk to Nick and myself) refusing help, letting them do everything (!) or simply not saying thank you. Other people we have got on really well with, all from chatting to our boys.

Jumping between lock gates was mentioned in the original message and Andy and Matt would not dream of doing this - they are probably not fit enough for a start. But we were all horrified to see someone on the boat ahead of us do this. The woman should have known better - we reckon she was in her late 50s!! Her husband placed the bow underneath where she jumped to 'catch' her if she fell, although it struck me she probably have been better off falling into the lock rather than on to the boat.

Wolverhampton? I'd rather not have to go there again! What a badly kept, unloved canal. Trying to clear the propeller of weeds and plastic tape while drifting because the shopping trolleys prevent you getting near the bank just ain't fun. We also saw a police car draw up by a mobile sandwich van, we thought they were going to have a tea break until they got out of their car, pulled on bulletproof vests, got their guns from the boot and drove off again....!

Happy holidays!

Zoë

Stepping from an open bottom gate to a closed bottom gate in narrow locks is an ancient and venerable practice for those with the confidence to step over a 3' 6" gap but you must have your windlass tucked safely in your belt and both hands free. It saves over 250' of walking. I'm not surprised to see people do it but prefer the extra exercise myself!

It was jumping over locks that concerned me and I'm glad to see that Jools/Big Brother/Webchem administered suitable admonishment - to good effect from his pupil's trip report!

As for using a boat as a safety net, the less said the better.

The BCN wouldn't be the BCN without a bit of rubbish and the odd trip down the weed hatch. It's a lot cleaner and clearer than it used to be. Don't let the prospect of rope, clothing, bags, wire or trolleys on the prop put you off using it. There is still much of interest to be seen.

Both my wife and I step across the closed to open gate on narrow locks without giving it a thought. I recently saw some americans through a lock and told them to hop on and I would finish off (i.e. close the gates). When he thought I was being over-generous with my assistance I said I could easily close both gates without walking round. His response was "This I must see"!

Have to admit to having stepped across from the closed to open lock gate on several occasions when there's only been me doing the locks. But only in dry conditions and when I didn't feel I was over reaching (and when there wasn't an audience!).

• 1 month later...

YAY

- canalboating with 6thformers!!

I have admit, i am a 6th former, and i could think of a better thing to do if i tryed all day!!

- there is nothing better than crusing along in a NB at 4mph :o

- and as for the lock jumping, i do it all the time, unless its wet, or the walkway looks like it should have fallen off all ready!!

daniel

Perhaps you ought to meet some of our chaps.

They are organising themselves this summer to do the same route. Well I think it'll be, aha theres a pub, shall we just stay here for the week.

They will be 18 then after all. I shall try and inspire this years Year 12 on slightly better boats and the Stourport ring.

LOL

• 4 months later...

I was the lead in a party of 6th formers that did a canal boat holiday in October last year and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves!

Having found a boat yard that would accept us (all 8 of us were 17 or 18), we did New Mills to Trevor on a one way trip. We found everyone to be very friendly towards us, even though our outward impression of 8 lads cruising the canal system with beer cans to hand maybe would have put some people off.

We enjoyed it so much that we're doing either the Cheshire or Four counties ring in early September. Hopefully the weather will be as good as last year, when we were virtually sunbathing at the end of October! And hopefully there'll be some challenges awaiting us this year, such as some of the very tight turns in a 69ft narrow boat, especially when your not sure which way to go until the last minute :)

• 2 months later...

That group from last year that Mr Whitehead/Webchem/Jools/BigBrother/Sir (if you really want to annoy him) talked about. Well that group is me and my 19 other 18 year old friends.

As he said we do intend to try the Warwickshire ring again this year, hopefully the other way around. Starting at Rugby and going south, we're hoping by doing this and with a little bit of imagination all the bridges will look different.

My question is where do you rekon would be the mid point, we have 2 boats from Willow Wren from Saturday to Saturday, and are only real concern is that we might get to the second Saturday and not be in Rugby. Which point in the ring should we have to be at by the middle of the week. I.e. if we weren't to get to this point we'd turn around so we were back on time.

Also does anyone know of a point on the ring where we could get a free pump out as last year we had to pay for one, becuase we were a little desperate by this point.

There will obviously be another diary for you all to read.

Thanks.

Daniel Cherowbrier

Welcome to the forum Dan!

Yeah, welcome!

As a 6th former (just about still) i think it great that other people my age like narrowboats and have had the expernce of going on one.

- It really is a great way to get about!

Daniel

My question is where do you reckon would be the mid point, we have 2 boats from Willow Wren from Saturday to Saturday, and are only real concern is that we might get to the second Saturday and not be in Rugby. Which point in the ring should we have to be at by the middle of the week?

23486[/snapback]

This depends on which precise route you take. Assuming you use the Northern Stratford and Worcester and Birmingham to get into Brum, you have around 103 miles to cover and 120 locks to work. At an average speed of 3mph and 10 minutes per lock that will take around 54 hours of cruising (that does not include hours spent in the pub). Canal Planner tells me that Kings Norton Junction - where the Northern Stratford meets the Worcester & Birmingham - is the half way point. If you are not there by Tuesday night, you should seriously consider turning round.

But why are you worrying? You did it very stylishly last year. Is the absence of Sir a factor that should be taken into account? I hadn't realised he was such a slave driver.

Also does anyone know of a point on the ring where we could get a free pump out as last year we had to pay for one, because we were a little desperate by this point

23486[/snapback]

Pump-outs are like meals - there are no free ones! Hire firms seriously underestimate the amount of p*** and s*** waste their customers can produce and only offer to pay for pump outs after the first week. Make good use of the on-shore facilities when you find them and remember that isolated moorings give you the opportunity to provide a whole range of plants with much needed liquid fertilizer. Finally, budget for the cost of the pump outs - they shouldn't cost you as much half a pint of beer per day each!

Welcome to the forum and enjoy the trip - I look forward to reading your diary.

Is 10 minutes a lock about right? Always thought it took less than that.

I've tried using canal planner, the only problem I find is deciding all those variables.

Thanks for the mid point, we'll note that.

If pump outs are like meals do tesco sell them ready made. I guess we might have to stump up for our over abundance of curry and beer then.

Thanks.

I've tried using canal planner, the only problem I find is deciding all those variables.

If pump outs are like meals do tesco sell them ready made. I guess we might have to stump up for our over abundance of curry and beer then.

When i use canal planner i just leave all the variables at stock, and it seam to be pritty acurate for what we do.

- But if theres more of you, you will get the locks done a little quicker.

- A good estimate is that a lock is equal to a mile, therfore work out how many lockmiles your trip is, then divide by two, roughly.

With regardes to pumpouts, Rofl!

- We have a horrid 'pota potti' which we can make last weeks, just by not using it! (yes, it is that horrid)

Daniel

The 10 minute average time for locks includes waiting time - you can get stuck at the top or bottom of a flight for a lot longer than that if its particularly busy or a mishap occurs in front of you. But with your enthusiastic crew, you should be able to work up Hatton in well under 4 hours and down from Birmingham to Saltley Junction in a lot less than 6 hours, so you can expect to make up some time on those flights.