Marine LPG Engineer

Anne Stones

Featured Posts

Just now, TheBiscuits said:

And even better, you could then charge the registered people hundreds of pounds each to be on your list ...

You could also make their exam passes expire every five years and demand they pay £thousands to re-take all their exams to stay on the register.

Ok a ridiculous idea, I agree. 

3 minutes ago, MtB said:

You could also make their exam passes expire every five years and demand they pay £thousands to re-take all their exams to stay on the register.

Ok a ridiculous idea, I agree. 

Nice little earner I reckon.  To get people to fall for it you'd have to pretend it has something to do with safety, or failing that name it after a breed of dog 🤣

15 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Nice little earner I reckon.  To get people to fall for it you'd have to pretend it has something to do with safety, or failing that name it after a breed of dog 🤣

Curiously, the dog was booted out about the same time as BW. For abusing the data available to only them as administrators of the register. First, CORGI made it mandatory to "register" all our installations with them. Then they set about contacting to all our customers offering them service and maintenance contracts, which they then tried to subcontract out to us. This is why Gas Safe Register was invented. 

Secondly "competence" doesn;'t mean what the public expects, as in competent in all aspects of gas work. Loads of examples exist similar to that which Tony B described above. "Competence" basically means knowing how not to kill the customers. It also means knowing the regs regarding stuff like ventilation, fues, pipe sizing, gas rating, safety devices, what is allowed in sleeping areas and what isn't, and stuff like that. There is absolutely REAMS of it we all have to know our way around reasonably well. And how to find out with authority if there is something we are not so sure about. 

I find it hard to believe the goon Tony describes was genuinely gas registered given the sheer amount of focus in training on open flue appliances including back boilers. Either that or he knew what a time-consuming PITA they are to work on and wisely elected to get himself slung off site instead.

Edited by MtB
Add a bit.