Black Country Ring

KlisaB

Featured Posts

46 minutes ago, KlisaB said:

We are doing our second canal holiday this year, this time on the Black Country Ring starting from Great Heywood.  Does anyone have any suggestions for the best moorings on this Ring please?

Have you decided which way you are going?

There's plenty of good mooring around Great Haywood for your last night. Either below Great Haywood lock on the T&M where the canal runs alongside (even through?) the grounds of Shugborough Hall or at Tixall Wide if coming the other way up the Staffs & Worcs.

Elsewhere on the Staffs & Worcs there is plenty of good mooring down to Coven. Above Gailey lock is popular as is the straight north of the Anchor pub at Coven. Penkridge is also an option if you want facilities and shopping but otherwise plenty of spots.

From Birmingham to Coven you need to think it through although both Wolverhampton top lock and Aldersley/Autherley Junction area is possible. If you are likely to be below Wolverhampton locks overnight one option is to go south to Compton where there is good mooring and lots of useful amenities then turn and head back. The Black Country ring isn't so long that the extra time would be a problem for an active crew. In fact if you're going clockwise and have time a short trip south down the S&W is an option.

Between Birmingham and Woilbverhampton I'd suggest a detour to the Black Country Museum moorings at Tipton which are a spur off the Wolverhampton level.

Central Birmingham is not just OK but I'd say it's something you should plan to do. You'll find a spot above Farmers Bridge locks around the junction and SeaLife centre/Arena.

North of Birmingham Curdworth is probably the last decent spot before tackling the locks, or the first after descending. Either at Curdworth visitor moorings where there is also a pub but also toward Minworth against good piled banks.

Dog and Doublet toward the bottom of Curdworth locks is also a popular spot and again with a pub.

If you are stuck below the locks in Birmingham your options are to head for Star City on the Birmingham and Warwick Junction for the gated visitor moorings but you'll have to reverse back to Salford Junction. Or tie to something at Cuckoo Wharf just below Aston bottom lock. There doesn't appear to be any visitor moorings here but either tie up as clear of the services as possible or attach yourself to the outside of a CRT workboat if there is one. Needs must here and its a stay aboard kind of place but will be OK. There's also Aston Business Park three locks or so up Aston flight. There are likely to be a few liveaboards here and it should be fine. Other than those places there's not much else anywhere between Curdworth and central Birmingham.

There's pleny of good peaceful mooring to be had between Fazley Juncton and Curdworth bottom lock along piled banks. Also good visitor moorings around Fazeley Junction.

Between Fradley and Fazeley Hopwas and Whittington are popular visitor moorings, particularly the former as it's closer to the pub.

Then Great Haywood to Fradley popular spots are Shugborough (Little Haywood) as above, Wolseley Bridge, with a pub and Indian, is a place that might make a good first night if heading that direction, Rugeley where there's plenty of mooring space and a large Tescos. That's about three hours from Great Haywood.

Also Huddlesford is popular and has a chippy and a pub, followed by some rural spots on the run to Wood End top lock. AFter Wooed End there are popualr and often full mooring above Shade House lock and if you're lookcing to stop at Fradley it's either there or after the junction on the Coventry where there's more good mooring. You won't be able to moor right at the junction.

Sorry I've written that a bit backwards.

Edited by Captain Pegg
  • Greenie 2

Thank you, that's brilliant.  We haven't decided which way we are going yet, just started planning.  We done the Llangollen Canal last year for our first canal holiday, only two locks so pretty easy, have a feeling this is going to be a lot harder!!

52 minutes ago, KlisaB said:

We are doing our second canal holiday this year, this time on the Black Country Ring starting from Great Heywood.  Does anyone have any suggestions for the best moorings on this Ring please?

Which way round are you going, and how long do you plan on travelling each day? That's quite a short ring for a week in the summer (about 37 hours according to Canalplan), unless you only want to do short days -- and there aren't many attractions to spend time at on the ring itself -- you could also consider some detours, for example through Netherton Tunnel and down to Stourton Jn and up the Staffs and Worcs instead of through Wolverhampton (47 hours, still not much...), much more pleasant...

I assume you know about Canalplan?

https://canalplan.uk/cgi-bin/canal.cgi

Edited by IanD

We haven't decided which way we are going yet, just started planning.  It's only our second time on a canal, and only two of us aboard so we thought the ring would be short enough for us to handle, but I will definitely look at some detours.  Thank you.

I think it's a wise choice of route. There will be two days that will test you and even then you have the option of breaking one of them up. However if it were me I'd be looking to do Birmingham to Curdworth or vice versa in one day and that's 27 locks which will realistically fill a day's cruising. The other is the Wolverhampton 21 which in isolation is three hours but I'd be likely to do Tipton (BCLM) to Coven as a minimum in that day which is more like 6 hours.

To break up those heavy locking days you could pay a visit to the Black Country Living Museum if that's your sort of thing. It's about 4 hours from central Birmingham and 2 hours from the top of Wolverhampton locks so can be combined with a morning and/or evening cruise. Or just spend some time in Brum.

11 minutes ago, KlisaB said:

We haven't decided which way we are going yet, just started planning.  It's only our second time on a canal, and only two of us aboard so we thought the ring would be short enough for us to handle, but I will definitely look at some detours.  Thank you.

Do you have any particular priorities for stopping places like pubs with good beer/food?

The Black Country Museum is definitely worth a visit (half a day?), moor at John the Lock's just round the corner. Another suggestion is to moor at the Willeymoor Island Trust (secure, £10 key deposit returnable in the morning) and walk up to Ma Pardoes's (the Old Swan) in Netherton for the evening (good beer and food). You could also take the short detour into Stourbridge.

It all depends how many locks you want to do with only two of you... 😉

Edited by IanD

7 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

I know nothing about this but I think it might be helpful to the OP if someone who does could list the pros and cons of each direction. Might help with that bit of their planning.

Mentioned above but here's a link...

https://canalplan.org.uk/cgi-bin/canal.cgi

Also think where you want to be (and eat) the last night (no more than an hour from the boatyard?) -- going anticlockwise you could stop at Essex Bridge VM (pub nearby), going clockwise Tixall Wide is nice if you're staying on the boat.

Edited by IanD

10 minutes ago, IanD said:

Do you have any particular priorities for stopping places like pubs with good beer/food?

The Black Country Museum is definitely worth a visit (half a day?), moor at John the Lock's just round the corner. Another suggestion is to moor at the Willeymoor Island Trust (secure, £10 key deposit returnable in the morning) and walk up to Ma Pardoes's (the Old Swan) in Netherton for the evening (good beer and food). You could also take the short detour into Stourbridge.

It all depends how many locks you want to do with only two of you... 😉

Why do you suggest mooring at John the Lock moorings rather than the BCLM itself?

5 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Why do you suggest mooring at John the Lock moorings rather than the BCLM itself?

Mooring at the museum and access to it was restricted when I was there, and if you want to get out for food/drink for the evening it's not ideal because of where the towpath is (or isn't). JTL has the Fountain opposite and Mad O'Rourke's Pie Factory a short walk away.

Edited by IanD

Myself and my wife do Great Haywood to Birmingham via the Wolverhampton 21 in two days when we have to, with the overnight at the Anchor at Coven.  For a more leisurely trip we do the Compton stop.  We usually do the 21 and in to Birmingham in one day but sometimes have a stop at Tipton if taking it slow.  Yesterday the boat I was on we did Tipton to Curdworth stopping at the Dog and Doublet overnight but it was an 11hr day.  The food in the Dog and Doublet was ok, but a bit pricey.

There is a good chip shop at Handsacre, next to the Crown, which could be your first night if you went clockwise depending on the time you get away.

1 minute ago, IanD said:

Mooring at the museum and access to it was restricted when I was there, and if you want to get out for food/drink for the evening it's not ideal. JTL has the Fountain opposite and Mad O'Rourke's Pie Factory a short walk away.

The Fountain is ok as long as you don't arrive at 10pm on a Sunday as we found out last weekend because they had closed.

9 minutes ago, IanD said:

Mooring at the museum and access to it was restricted when I was there, and if you want to get out for food/drink for the evening it's not ideal. JTL has the Fountain opposite and Mad O'Rourke's Pie Factory a short walk away.

The BCLM moorings are accessed by a CRT key hence are secure, however if you overnight on the service block side you will find that the swingbridge is swung open overnight trapping in boats on that side only.

I much prefer it as a location than John the Lock and a rather more obvious mooring place in the context of a visit to the museum irrespective of whether you stay there overnight.

Edited by Captain Pegg

2 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

Willeymoor Island Trust

Sorry, where abouts is this? Google puts it on the Llangothlyn canal? (We are planning on travelling that way (down Netherton Tunnel on the Dudley Canal not Wales) next week!)

Edited by SandyD
Clarity

6 minutes ago, SandyD said:

Sorry, where abouts is this? Google puts it on the Llangothlyn canal? (We are planning on travelling that way next week!)

Doh, Withymoor not Willeymoor... 😉

(though the Willeymoor Lock Tavern on the Llangollen is well worth a visit, very friendly, good beer and (not flashy) pub food)

Edited by IanD

9 minutes ago, SandyD said:

Thanks IanD, where is the nearest place on the canal to these moorings?

Canalplan labels it as Withymoor Island Service Wharf, they are private moorings but happy to have visiting boats so long as they have space (which they usually do  unless there's some event on) -- phone them to check. (01527 833359? 01384 457163?)

withymoor.jpg

Edited by IanD

4 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

Other than those places there's not much else anywhere between Curdworth and central Birmingham.

The Boat Inn at Minworth is right on the towpath and I've stopped there a couple of times. Its fine for an overnight mooring. The first time I went we had a good meal in the pub, but the second time they weren't doing food, but it was only a short walk to the Hare and Hounds which also backs onto the towpath. The H&H is a large family chain pub, but the food was fine for a day which had started at Alvechurch.

4 hours ago, IanD said:

Which way round are you going, and how long do you plan on travelling each day? That's quite a short ring for a week in the summer (about 37 hours according to Canalplan), unless you only want to do short days -- and there aren't many attractions to spend time at on the ring itself -- you could also consider some detours, for example through Netherton Tunnel and down to Stourton Jn and up the Staffs and Worcs instead of through Wolverhampton (47 hours, still not much...), much more pleasant...

I assume you know about Canalplan?

https://canalplan.uk/cgi-bin/canal.cgi

I would second the suggestion of doing the slightly longer route through Netherton, and Delph, Stourbridge, and Stourton, rather than the Wolverhampton 21.  You have to like locks either way, but I just think it’s a nicer route if you have time (which you should do, as the Black Country Ring is a small one).

4 hours ago, IanD said:

Mooring at the museum and access to it was restricted when I was there, and if you want to get out for food/drink for the evening it's not ideal because of where the towpath is (or isn't). JTL has the Fountain opposite and Mad O'Rourke's Pie Factory a short walk away.

Also about 3 or 4 Indian Takeaways to chose from and Fish and Chips

They are relaying the towpath at Tixal Wide so I don't know the amount of mooring restrictions but the towpath is closed at the junction  

Tixall Wide has been suggested a few times. I agree, apart from the geese waking me up at 5am every time, but mooring is restricted until 14th July due to towpath works:

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/23744-towpath-closure-haywood-bridge-to-milford-turnover-bridge-staffordshire-and-worcester-canal

May not be an issue depending on the date of the trip.

I'll third the suggestion that via Stourton is a more interesting journey although a bit longer. If you're going that way definitely visit Ma Pardoe's, mooring either at Withymoor by arrangement (visited this weekend, very friendly as always) or the Bumble Hole visitor moorings.

Edited by Francis Herne

Penkridge is good for shopping. Jaspers the bakery has superb cream cakes. The butcher is also good. Both however are closed on Mondays. There are good moorings opposite the Stafford Boat Club. If taking the longer route via Stourbridge Wightwick Manor is well worth a visit - thinking about it there is a convenient winding hole so it could be a small diversion from the route via Wolverhampton. The manor is a lovely Arts and Crafts house with good gardens and is only 10mins walk from the canal.

• Greenie 4

Lots of things have been covered already, but a few others to add.

Tixall Wide is wide enough that you can turn the boat easily. That means if you do the ring one way you will naturally approach it and the other way you can detour down to it and turn round. It's a very peaceful spot if you want to stay on board on the last evening.

The moorings opposite the junction at the end of the Birmingham and Fazeley on to the Coventry are useful if you need to walk down to the supermarket in Tamworth.

If you find yourself with extra time and decide to come up the Stourbridge then a detour down the Dudley No.2 to Hawne Basin is particularly interesting for Gosty Hill Tunnel and the remains of the Coombeswood Tube Works (if you are interested in the history of the canals, not just the scenery).

If you come up the Wolverhampton 21 and end up mooring at the top lock, Wolverhampton art gallery (free) is well worth a look if you enjoy such things. Less than a ten minute walk. If you do moor there, don't be surprised if you end up having a conversation with a homeless person. There is a shelter just over the other side of the main road and there are often a few people about. I have found them nothing but friendly and perhaps short of a bit of human conversation. Certainly not a reason to avoid mooring there.

If you come up through Wolverhampton and head for Birmingham then you have some choices of route (and no, I am not going to suggest that you go via the Wyrley and Essington on your first trip that way!) Both the old main line and new main line are options and where you connect between them is also a choice. Personally, I find the old main line much more interesting and not much slower as it is deep and doesn't have toll islands on it. You also get an interesting view of the Netherton tunnel as you cross the approach on the aqueduct, and you get to go along under the M5 which, whilst not pretty, is certainly different.

Do allow for a bit of extra time when you get to Fradley. If the junction is at all busy then it can take a while with the merging of boats in the middle of the flight.

It's a nice route, with some lovely scenery, particularly on the Staffs & Worcs, and some signs of the industrial heritage which the canals were based on. Should be a good trip!

Alec