Power tool batteries not from original manufacturer

Featured Posts

I have some Bosch Professional cordless power tools (drill, circular saw, jigsaw, sander etc,) that I use to work on my GRP cruiser that I am refitting - there is no mains power at the mooring.

Having purchased some of the tools as bare units i.e. without batteries, I don't have enough batteries for a full days work, I've looked online for more batteries and found that non branded "copies" are available for significantly less than the genuine ones.

Are they safe to use? I'm imagining they are the same inside as the genuine ones, has any one tried using non branded lithium batteries with their tools, Bosch or any other make? Do they work? Do they cause problems?

Dunno about Bosch, but my children had some non-gunuine Makita batteries and one exploded sending the cells shooting accross the floor like little fireworks. Not easy to put them out either. I suspect the clone batteries don't have the correct monitoring and protection electronics (if any at all).

They lost a set of curtains, a duvet and a dog bed in the fire fighting effort. 😀

I am interested in the answer too.

I can't see why there can't be reputable manufacturers of replacement batteries, but I am  sure that there are dodgy manufacturers  out there too.

How to tell which is which? Asking here, is probably as good a way as any.

There is obviously a huge markup on the batteries when there can be special offers of drills with batteries at such a modest increase of price over skins alone. 

I agree with the precaution of not leaving to charge unattended though.

1 hour ago, Barneyp said:

I have some Bosch Professional cordless power tools (drill, circular saw, jigsaw, sander etc,) that I use to work on my GRP cruiser that I am refitting - there is no mains power at the mooring.

Having purchased some of the tools as bare units i.e. without batteries, I don't have enough batteries for a full days work, I've looked online for more batteries and found that non branded "copies" are available for significantly less than the genuine ones.

Are they safe to use? I'm imagining they are the same inside as the genuine ones, has any one tried using non branded lithium batteries with their tools, Bosch or any other make? Do they work? Do they cause problems?

Only none genuine lithium batteries I tend to trust are made by Duracell. Mainly in cameras over the years but they do them for all sorts of things including power tools.

(I cant find one for a recently aquired old Black &Decker cordless drill with a dodgy battery so sadly I think Im going to have to scrap it).

https://www.duracelldirect.co.uk/power-tool-battery-charger.html

They sell other makes too which may be of dubious quality. 

I bought a replacement battery for Ryobi power tools. It was not made by Ryobi and was about half the price. The trouble is, from new its got about one third of the stated capacity, so is in my view a piece of junk. Expensive mistake.

48 minutes ago, jonesthenuke said:

I bought a replacement battery for Ryobi power tools. It was not made by Ryobi and was about half the price. The trouble is, from new its got about one third of the stated capacity, so is in my view a piece of junk. Expensive mistake.

Similar

I've never realy saved any money by using cheap Sfesionsbatteries. For the Makita I will only use correct batteries.

Only place I saved money was buying a WORX Professional Drill and hammer drill set,superb. Changed batteries once in 16/17 years.

18 hours ago, Barneyp said:

I've used clone batteries in various power tools with no bad effects. 

But I have considered the liability chain and who I would sue (if I CBA) should one explode, catch fire, or do something I'd expect the correct, branded battery not to do. And at the end of it there is an ebay seller whose name and address may or may not be correct. Probably the latter for the cheap ones and I'm happy to take the risk. Are you?