Wide beam/Air Draft restrictions for continuous cruising

Diego

Featured Posts

Hi to everyone,

This is my first post, so thank you in advance.

I'm interested to buy my first Grp Cabin Cruiser to live aboard during the summer. My first option is a 27ft, beam 9 '8", draft 2'2" and bridge clearance 7'8" . I'm aware that there are restrictions and will not be able to go to some canals, but... Can I still enjoying the pleasure of continuous cruising with those limitations?

The boat is in East Molesey, and I would like to be cruising around London area.

Cheers!

Diego

Edited by Diego

• Diego changed the title to Wide beam/Air Draft restrictions for continuous cruising
1 hour ago, Diego said:

Hi to everyone,

I'm interested to buy my first Grp Cabin Cruiser to live abroad during the summer. My first option is a 27ft, beam 9 '8", draft 2'2" and bridge clearance 7'8" . I'm aware that there are restrictions and will not be able to go to some canals, but... Can I still enjoying the pleasure of continuous cruising with those limitations?

The boat is in East Molesey, and I would like to be cruising around London area.

Cheers!

Diego

That sounds very Seamaster 27 type of boat so check if that air draft is with the canopy is up or down and if down can the windscreen fold down to make it even lower.

1 hour ago, Diego said:

My first option is a 27ft, beam 9 '8", draft 2'2" and bridge clearance 7'8" . I'm aware that there are restrictions and will not be able to go to some canals, but... Can I still enjoying the pleasure of continuous cruising with those limitations?

Cheers!

Diego

I think it's the air draught which may be your limitation.

Edited by blackrose

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

In principle yes, but it depends exctly whjere you want to go.

I would however suggest there is little "enjoyment of pleasure " in trying to CC in London.

Suggestions for enjoyment of pleasure trips are very welcome!

2 hours ago, blackrose said:

I think it's the air draught which may be your limitation.

Yep, that's my biggest concern.

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

That sounds very Seamaster 27 type of boat so check if that air draft is with the canopy is up or down and if down can the windscreen fold down to make it even lower.

She have a hard top, so I don't think can fold down. I'll check it, viewing next week. 

1 hour ago, Diego said:

Suggestions for enjoyment of pleasure trips are very welcome!

Yep, that's my biggest concern.

She have a hard top, so I don't think can fold down. I'll check it, viewing next week. 

Probably not then.

5 hours ago, Diego said:

Hi to everyone,

I'm interested to buy my first Grp Cabin Cruiser to live abroad during the summer. My first option is a 27ft, beam 9 '8", draft 2'2" and bridge clearance 7'8" . I'm aware that there are restrictions and will not be able to go to some canals, but... Can I still enjoying the pleasure of continuous cruising with those limitations?

Cheers!

Diego

I don't see why you think there should be a problem.  The restrictions you mention only refer to English & Welsh canals.  Plus I doubt the water authorities abroad even have rules relating to Continuous Cruising.

Why do you then mention London?

Sorry if I didn't express myself well. That's what I want to do, exactly, travel across English river and canals... I said London because Thames, Lea, Grand Union, etc.

My concern is the air draft pretty much. 

Cheers

2 hours ago, zenataomm said:

I don't see why you think there should be a problem.  The restrictions you mention only refer to English & Welsh canals.  Plus I doubt the water authorities abroad even have rules relating to Continuous Cruising.

Why do you then mention London?

The OP said live abroad, probably meant to say live aboard.

1 hour ago, Diego said:

Sorry if I didn't express myself well. That's what I want to do, exactly, travel across English river and canals... I said London because Thames, Lea, Grand Union, etc.

My concern is the air draft pretty much. 

Cheers

You need to consider the beam then too.

You'll be stuck in the southern half of the country on that boat as all the north/south connecting waterways are 7ft wide. 

Mind you the boat sounds possibly seaworthy so you could get up north by taking the lumpy water route around the edge.