Deisel heater exhaust running through fuel locker?

Featured Posts

I'm in the process of installing a deisel heater in my cabin cruiser, it's located in the rear left side on the boat in a locker under thee putside seat

My initial plan was to run the exauhst straight out of the locker and under the fuel locker to the transom, but it will be too low at the waterline, to go higher I would need to run it into the fuel locker above and out the back higher up in the transom.

The fuel locker is big, so won't be near the tank, and I will cut a hole for the exhaust entry high up (not on the floor) so fuel or gases would still leak out the correct holes.

Just wondering if this this allowed with bss? Thanks

Only other option is to have the exauhst go straight out the side, but then I worry about gasses coming in the cockpit easier

What diesel heater, a Chinese one? You will need a proper marine exhaust silencer and skin fitting and stainless jubilee clips, possibly a better fuel line as well to pass BSS.

Edited by Mike Hurley

12 minutes ago, Mike Hurley said:

What diesel heater, a Chinese one? You will need a proper marine exhaust silencer and skin fitting and stainless jubilee clips, possibly a better fuel line as well to pass BSS.

Yes Chinese, thanks, I have upgraded the fuel line a jubilee clips, I just read literally before your advice that the cheap silencers are no good on boats due to leaking inside the Hull, I was going to do without the silencer altogether? OR if I can install in the fuel locker (which is also like a gas locker with holes at the bottom leading to outside/ sealed from the hull) would this still be OK assuming the leak holes are there for and leakes?

25 minutes ago, Dockeroo said:

My initial plan was to run the exauhst straight out of the locker and under the fuel locker

'Fuel' locker? Why so coy about what the 'fuel' is? I think it might depend on what is in the 'fuel' locker. 

Kindling perhaps would be fine. Also solid fuel. Not so sure about gas or petrol. 

Just now, MtB said:

'Fuel' locker? Why so coy about what the 'fuel' is? I think it might depend on what is in the 'fuel' locker. 

Kindling perhaps would be fine. Also solid fuel. Not so sure about gas or petrol. 

There's a 10L petrol tank for the outboard in there, which is why I'm not sure about if its allowed.

The locker is very big though, it's about 3 times as deep as the top of the petrol tank  I was thinking to run the exauhst near the top, about 12 inches away from the tank

3 minutes ago, booke23 said:

When you say cabin cruiser, does it have an outboard with associated petrol tank? 

Yes

8 minutes ago, Dockeroo said:

@booke23 @MtB I just wanted to check as as in a car apparently the exaust can be close to the tank

Yes but under a car it's a different situation, completely open for a start. Also the exhaust doesn't get that hot (diesel heater exhaust gets very hot) toward the back of the car, even then there is always a substantial heat shield between the exhaust and the fuel tank.

I wouldn't have the exhaust near fuel.

Probably better to have it through the side (with a proper insulated stainless hull fitting)

If you think the exhaust is too near the waterline, put a ' swan neck' in the pipe.

I ran my heater without the silencer, and yes,it did whistle a bit on the startup cycle. but the sound level was quite acceptable when on a lower heat setting.

Standing beside the boat, you could hear it, but from the bow hardly at all.

Reading your post again, I don't think it a good idea to have the heater near the petrol tank. Because of petrol's volatility it could be dangerous.

Better to site the heater elswhere.I fitted mine in the cupboard under the sink in the cabin.

Edited by Mad Harold

13 hours ago, booke23 said:

Yes but under a car it's a different situation, completely open for a start. Also the exhaust doesn't get that hot (diesel heater exhaust gets very hot) toward the back of the car, even then there is always a substantial heat shield between the exhaust and the fuel tank.

Males sense yes definetly will find another way thanks

1 hour ago, Paul C said:

Is your boat using diesel for space heating and petrol for propulsion?

Yes

Ok, ummm, I'm going to duck out now. I'll leave these as optional-to-answer things though:

- Inboard or outboard petrol engine?

- Fuel locker? Is this a thing on petrol boats, where a locker is designated (by the manufacturer) as being safe to store a 10l petrol can in it? Or that you've simply decided one of the lockers is used for this? Where does the fuel (can) be stored according to the manufacturer, on one of those outboard frames? I am not sure on the BSS requirements here.

- What are the arrangements for the diesel tank? I am guessing the BSS will be interested in this.

- Do you disassemble/remove/hide stuff for the BSS every 4 years, then put it back again when the ticket is obtained and the examiner gone? Or is the boat fully BSS compliant and you are 100% committed to making further fuel system and/or appliance installations, retain compliance for years to come?

1 minute ago, Paul C said:

Ok, ummm, I'm going to duck out now. I'll leave these as optional-to-answer things though:

- Inboard or outboard petrol engine?

- Fuel locker? Is this a thing on petrol boats, where a locker is designated (by the manufacturer) as being safe to store a 10l petrol can in it? Or that you've simply decided one of the lockers is used for this? Where does the fuel (can) be stored according to the manufacturer, on one of those outboard frames? I am not sure on the BSS requirements here.

- What are the arrangements for the diesel tank? I am guessing the BSS will be interested in this.

- Do you disassemble/remove/hide stuff for the BSS every 4 years, then put it back again when the ticket is obtained and the examiner gone? Or is the boat fully BSS compliant and you are 100% committed to making further fuel system and/or appliance installations, retain compliance for years to come?

It's an outboard,

Yes the cruiser has a dedicated isolated both gas and fuel locker with drain holes, could fit a 20l tank if you wanted.

The tank is strapped to the bottom of the locker as requested by recen BSS

The deisel tank is in a frame secured above the heater

No, it currently has a bss before i had finished installing appliances and electrics, so am trying to make sure it will pass the full test with everything in

Ok no worries, good luck with the boat, I am not the best person to answer the questions. All I'd do is look up the BSS requirements on the internet and copy/paste some of the relevant stuff over. No doubt others on the forum have more experience with petrol outboard stuff and can assist further in a practical solution.

49 minutes ago, Dockeroo said:

It's an outboard,

Yes the cruiser has a dedicated isolated both gas and fuel locker with drain holes, could fit a 20l tank if you wanted.

The tank is strapped to the bottom of the locker as requested by recen BSS

The deisel tank is in a frame secured above the heater

No, it currently has a bss before i had finished installing appliances and electrics, so am trying to make sure it will pass the full test with everything in

If your heater is the 'all in one'type with the diesel tank in the box just above the heater,I can almost guarantee your inspector will throw a wobbly!

You can seperate the tank from the heater and mount it elswhere.