Water conservation on the Monmouthshire & Brecon

Ken X

Featured Posts

I have read the following several times.  Is there a more knowledgeable person who can tell me how using one paddle saves water.  Is the surge really that critical?  Ta in advance.

Notice Alert

Monmouthshire & Brecon Canal
Starts At: Lock 68,Toffs Lock
Ends At: Lock 64, Lower Lock

Friday 26 May 2023 until further notice

Type: Navigation Restriction
Reason: Water resources

Original message:

We are asking all boaters travelling through the Llangynidr Lock flight to help us save water, by using only one paddle when going through locks when both filling and emptying.

This helps slow and reduce the surge of water travelling down the canal, limiting the water loss, to ensure more water remains in the canal.

The measures are being introduced following a steady drop in levels on the River Usk, which acts as a water supply to the canal, and minimising the impact on the River Usk Special Area of Conservation.

Perhaps it's mostly in relation to the pound below the operated lock. When emptying that lock, doing so quickly and causing a greater surge would presumably cause bywashes etc. to overtop a bit more. Though I do find it hard to imagine that being a significant amount of water being lost...