Rochdale canal closed locks 65 to 81

IanD

Featured Posts

12 minutes ago, IanD said:

...for at least 2 weeks, due to a blown cill at lock 73 😞

Why the need to close so many locks?

(Not being familiar with that section)

It's the heavily locked descent into Manchester - a section you are advised to do in a day, without safe intermediate moorings. 

It's also a length where CRT regularly have to manage the water levels due to vandalism and leaking gates, so it makes sense to close the whole section.

Also if boats go half way down the '18 and get stuck then they get very unhappy (its a bad area) and CRT will likely have to spend some time helping them. Unhappy boats do sometimes generate a lot of negative stuff on social media which really does not help the Rochdales reputation. 

There are no winding holes on that section.

• 2 weeks later...

There was an update recently saying the fabric dam and scaffold were going in so once the CRT team have access it should be quite quick, but dunno if a fabric dam might be just too much tempation for the local bad lads. Im gonna wait a bit, don't want to be first down after a stoppage as thats even more stuff to go round the prop. 😀

Its only June, I hope the T&M will not be running out of water for a while.

Spoke to CRT man this morning and he reckons the Rochdale is good for water and not likely to be closing any time soon. The summit is very low just now but I hear its all down to a couple of blokes on a plastic cruiser who have left a trail of destruction behind them. A passing boater said they stopped on a lock landing, opened both ends of the lock then fell into a weed induced coma 😀

• Horror 1

18 hours ago, enigmatic said:

Unless HNC reopens shortly I think it's the Trent for me...

if I get that far (Hebden Bridge pound nearly empty and lock padlocked again, but at least there's water flowing into it).

Maybe by the time I get down the Hudds Narrow will be open so I can get stuck up there instead

The Pennines... you have to love them, otherwise you'd hate them

21 hours ago, enigmatic said:

Now closed at Todmorden instead (guillotine gate not working. Engineer reckons it's not a quick fix...)

Unless HNC reopens shortly I think it's the Trent for me...

The Todmorden Guillotine does give a bit of trouble. I think the answer is to get rid of the electrics and fit a big hand wheel like a couple of the Nene locks. The Golden Lion is just over the road and the Golden Lion offshoot bar is lockside, plus its a 10 second walk to Tod Almighty who do very good vegan pasties. The typical boat owner could therefore have quite a good time while his wife winds the gate up and down 😀

3 hours ago, enigmatic said:

if I get that far (Hebden Bridge pound nearly empty and lock padlocked again, but at least there's water flowing into it).

Maybe by the time I get down the Hudds Narrow will be open so I can get stuck up there instead

The Pennines... you have to love them, otherwise you'd hate them

We came up from Hebden just over a week ago and there was mostly plenty of water, just some local issues. The Hebden pound is often tempremental but has got really bad  lately. A CRT sign on lock 9 blames vandalism but I suspect the huge leak at the bottom cill on lock 8 is the problem, its letting water go only marginally slower than its coming in. I heard it was on the stoppage list last year but cancelled due to lack of funds and noted that its not on the provisional list for this year. Things are only going to get worse, but just a few repairs to the a few troublesome locks could make a huge improvement.

It was, believe it or not, actually lower than that in the morning... 

5 hours ago, dmr said:

The Todmorden Guillotine does give a bit of trouble. I think the answer is to get rid of the electrics and fit a big hand wheel like a couple of the Nene locks. The Golden Lion is just over the road and the Golden Lion offshoot bar is lockside, plus its a 10 second walk to Tod Almighty who do very good vegan pasties. The typical boat owner could therefore have quite a good time while his wife winds the gate up and down 😀

I'm wondering if they can rig something up powered by the percussionists outside the Golden Lion

18 hours ago, dmr said:

but I suspect the huge leak at the bottom cill on lock 8 is the problem, its letting water go only marginally slower than its coming in.

Yup. This is the water leaking out this morning, with the lock about 1/3 full. I can't see a corresponding leak at the top gates, but you can hear water running through the towpath side top paddle, so that must be leaking as well. The water level in the lock is stable.

20230617_132857.thumb.jpg.c4d8f9ec5069f1315593a53847e44d13.jpg

Edited by David Mack

When I looked the lock was sitting almost full so water must be getting in at the top end somehow. Interesting that your pic shows a leak at the mitre but I saw a bigger leak right in the corner (far side gate) so I suspect the leak depends on which gate is closed first etc which happens a lot on the Rochdale locks.

Hebden is a proper "honey spot" (sorry for the Newspeak). If you type Hebden Bridge into Google and select images then about 25% of the photos feature the canal, even though the town itself is very pretty. An empty pound and grounded boats does not reflect well upon CRT.