Microbial corrosion

Microbial corrosion  

23 members have voted

1. 1. To the best of your knowledge, has your boat suffered from microbial corrosion?

• Yes
    • No

Featured Posts

To the best of your knowledge, has your boat suffered from microbial corrosion?

As poll above. (The forum software wouldn't publish the poll without this post at the same time.)

Edited by MtB

24 minutes ago, MtB said:

As poll above. (The forum software wouldn't publish the poll without this post at the same time.)

The folk to ask would be like Debdale Wharf who grit blast loads of boats.

47 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Very cleverly worded so the likes of Matty, who has mentioned several this year, cannot complete the survey.

Or perhaps correctly worded to get a proportionate result.

And in any case Matty owns a boat so he can complete the survey.

I've answered , honestly, as mine is not out until September.

However, we have just seen another one this week. Vast rashes of orange all over the hull except for the rear end under the counter.

The surveyor said it was galvanic corrosion, when asked about microbial, he stated that No, it only happens up North as far as he was aware...

🫣

7 hours ago, MtB said:

And that's the problem with trying to gauge this - not many people really have enough knowledge about the subject to know what type of corrosion their boat has suffered from. There are those like myself who freely admit they don't know. Then there are people who think/say they know what the difference between "normal", galvanic and microbial corrosion looks like from what they've seen or heard. And from that second group there may be a small minority who actually know the difference.

Edited by blackrose

2 hours ago, MtB said:

So what's the solution to microbial corrosion? Is there one?

(Other than blacking it quickly and putting it on brokerage.)

The last boat we had in for a repaint, (photos on here somewhere), we angle grinder with wire brushed out all the loose rust(orange had re-appeared in 24 hours. Then sprayed 1/6 bleach solution over entire hull, and underneath where we could get at it. Next day, bleach again, day 3 wash off. Then blacked. 4 weeks later, final blacking coat.

It is booked in at Debdale next year for the full Monty.

4 hours ago, matty40s said:

I've answered , honestly, as mine is not out until September.

However, we have just seen another one this week. Vast rashes of orange all over the hull except for the rear end under the counter.

The surveyor said it was galvanic corrosion, when asked about microbial, he stated that No, it only happens up North as far as he was aware...

🫣

3 hours ago, MtB said:

So what's the solution to microbial corrosion? Is there one?

Move to the South!

• Happy 1

2 hours ago, Bod said:

IMG_0029.thumb.JPG.52b73fb917dbfa63eb72eedfcfaa9bc2.JPG

Is this MC?

To the left unwashed, to the right the silver pits under the orange head.

Bod

It certainly 'meets the description' and similar pictures have proven to be MIC.

If it quacks like a duck & .....................

There are two variants of MIC, your looks like ..................................

Screenshot (348).png

MIC grows under 2-pack in 3 years.png

Edited by Alan de Enfield

The more I hear about steel boats and their problems and maintainance costs, the more I love fibreglass boats, especially if you are,  like me, financially challenged,and for similar money can buy a rather knackered steel boat or a decent fibreglass one, I would go for the fibreglass boat.