Welcome back

GUMPY

Featured Posts

45 minutes since I called cart

Two bets:

1, they don't bother  to advise us of what's happening.

2, we are still here in four hours when we should be at the top.

That I think is because one of the anti-vandal locks isn't working. Probably won't fix it but they might put a blue sign there saying "Better with water"

Edited by Midnight
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Midnight said:

That I think is because one of the anti-vandal locks isn't working. Probably won't fix it but they might put a blue sign there saying "Better with water"

According to the word on the ground it was a cruiser that went up yesterday leaving gates open and paddles up.

I suspect the same one that was leaving the guillotine down and the pointy doors open on the Nene the day before.

I have been instructed not to say anything if we see them.

• Horror 1

I dont know that area well, but cant you drain some water down, as I think the next pound is fairly long as well. Or maybe give it a try if there are others around able to let water down if you get stuck? Im sure Ive managed to get through shallower water if you take it extremely slowly so the stern doesnt sit down in the water? 

I wouldnt put it past a boater leaving a paddle open TBH. There seems a lack of care with paddles too often these days. 

53 minutes ago, GUMPY said:

45 minutes since I called cart

Two bets:

1, they don't bother  to advise us of what's happening.

2, we are still here in four hours when we should be at the top.

Lost bet 1 just seen a cart member of staff who told me what has happened.

3 minutes ago, Stroudwater1 said:

I dont know that area well, but cant you drain some water down, as I think the next pound is fairly long as well. Or maybe give it a try if there are others around able to let water down if you get stuck? Im sure Ive managed to get through shallower water if you take it extremely slowly so the stern doesnt sit down in the water? 

I wouldnt put it past a boater leaving a paddle open TBH. There seems a lack of care with paddles too often these days. 

There are four pounds all of half a mile or more so even getting enough water into this one is going to be an effort.

Cart are doing it.

If it was shorter I would have done it but I'm not walking that far.

Edited by GUMPY
  • Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, GUMPY said:

According to the word on the ground it was a cruiser that went up yesterday leaving gates open and paddles up.

I suspect the same one that was leaving the guillotine down and the pointy doors open on the Nene the day before.

I have been instructed not to say anything if we see them.

What can be done with idiots like that- Do CART have any ability to impound the thing till the owners understand how to boat. Perhaps there needs to be a "Lock awareness course" with licence holders having to pay to attend? 

Sorry to hear of this- what a pain. 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

The stoppage has been lifted you will be up before dark.

Nine hours to do a 4.5hr trip.

Still we are up now.

Didn't realise they had put a stoppage on we just carried on up as best we could

slightly stuck earlier.

Screenshot_20230526-184212.png

Screenshot_20230526-184239.png

Edited by GUMPY

17 minutes ago, matty40s said:

That's not our cat circling your gunnels, there are 2 on the boat in front of you that see you as easy prey.....

Hope they can swim👹

On 26/05/2023 at 08:57, GUMPY said:

Lock 17 Northampton Arm

First lock if the day.

Now I know why I left.

Screenshot_20230526-085554.png

CaRT unexpectantly reopened Wigan yesterday morning  after a 3 day non advised stoppage, due to non boater??? vandalism,  this is 82/83 at that time and their idea of navigable. As for vandalism, someone armed with a windlass and handcuff key had dropped all the water in 81/82, the long pound with compensating side pound and 82/83, they certainly knew what they were doing. Needless to say we eventually ambled down in 5 hours, without any help waterwise from CaRT and on the day we intended.

20230525_200111.jpg.5a3e845f3722d015e1dd846522f57a08.jpg