What is a Wigwag and why does it take 3 months to install one?

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

A wig-wag is the traffic signal with the soild amber warning light and then alternate flashing red lights used to denote a location where you must stop because to pass puts you in immediate peril, railway level crossings being the most common usage, but also moving bridges and fire station exits.

• Greenie 4

The CWDF challenge for today is to use the word wigwag at some point in a conversation. 

So why is the canal closed? Wedges are only accessible when the bridge is swung away from the canal, so need a road closure, not a canal one. The wigwags and barriers don't affect the canal and could be worked on with appropriate road restrictions, or closure as required.

10 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

A wig-wag is the traffic signal with the soild amber warning light and then alternate flashing red lights used to denote a location where you must stop because to pass puts you in immediate peril, railway level crossings being the most common usage, but also moving bridges and fire station exits.

I think more generally it’s a pair of lights that flash alternately. If they could speak one would be saying “wig” and the other “wag”. You get amber ones at taxiway holding points at airports. You don’t pass the wig wags to enter the runway when they are wigwagging.

Edited by nicknorman

And as an aside, just to point out that CRT seem to find it near impossible to get stoppage notices correct....

The nearest official winding hole North of the Winkwell swing bridge is NOT at Cow Roast.  It is at Berkhamsted (by the railway station entrance).  A saving of 7 locks over going all the way to the summit.

Edited by alan_fincher

16 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

And there was me thinking it must be some kind of tepee... :)

On 25/05/2023 at 22:59, Captain Pegg said:

Perhaps some of the drivers that use Shirley drawbridge should be told that.

We've caught vehicles trying to jump the lights and ending up on the rising bridge three times!

One was a Sky TV van. Another driver shouted at me that it was my fault as "I coud see him coming"

On 26/05/2023 at 23:16, ditchcrawler said:

I suppose they could always just close the road and leave the canal open while they do most of the work

Today’s stoppage had done both as the bridge failed half open/closed!

Edited by Tim Lewis