Opinions on a survey

Mark R

Featured Posts

With complete respect to the surveyor (who I don't doubt in any way) or the seller who I don't doubt either, I have deleted the document at the first instance possible. As a gas engineer my findings can be scrutinised by anyone, oddly I thought the same might somehow exist with this document.

1 hour ago, Mark R said:

With complete respect to the surveyor (who I don't doubt in any way) or the seller who I don't doubt either, I have deleted the document at the first instance possible. As a gas engineer my findings can be scrutinised by anyone, oddly I thought the same might somehow exist with this document.

Not the same at all.

The survey is a confidential contract between surveyor and client. The survey documents usually have a statement along the lines of ..............

"This document is for the sole use of the person named above and the copyright of the docuument remains with the surveyor"

It is not uncommon for the surveyor to sell a copy of the survey to another potential buyer, (as with photographs) the rights to reproduce remain with the author alone.

1 hour ago, Mark R said:

Welcome, we need another gas bod on here as I usually get shouted down in the gas threads so nowadays I steer clear of them.

Like you I found it astounding to discover this. I'd have thought given the surveyor gets fully financially compensated for producing his report, the paying customer should be free to do with it as he wishes. 

• Greenie 1

8 hours ago, MtB said:

Welcome, we need another gas bod on here as I usually get shouted down in the gas threads so nowadays I steer clear of them.

Like you I found it astounding to discover this. I'd have thought given the surveyor gets fully financially compensated for producing his report, the paying customer should be free to do with it as he wishes. 

I’d not dare discuss gas on here!!! 

9 hours ago, MtB said:

My take is that the original purchaser of the survey has used it for his own use - to help him sell the boat, so he passes it to the OP. To aid the sale, the OP posted it here for more informed opinion. Again, to aid the sale. Unless there is something fishy with the survey, I don't see what the surveyor is complaining about, he has been paid.

• Greenie 1

I believe surveyors can/do "resell" their survey, probably at a lower price, to prospective buyers. With that sale comes some kind of colander-like guarantee that the survey is a true/accurate account of the boat, for which the surveyor pays for insurance, so in a business relationship he has to pass on that cost.

Of course, its a very 20th century industry, completely unregulated too, which is hopelessly out-of-date for things like the internet or email.

• Greenie 1

Thanks guys, that makes sense as to the surveyor wanting to protect his asset. In reality the survey has little value now as the boat has been overplated, in reality it’s out dated. It’s value is as a document relating to the boat’s past.

As a gas engineer I actively encourage any certificates/reports being shared. If nothing else it gets your name out and about.

Tony was right in his post regarding getting an ‘informed opinion’ on the boat. I’m a newbie to this  and have already seen boats that were sheds in water, drastically overpriced, or where the owner was hiding something.

In the case of this boat, I have very limited photos/paperwork and it’s a long journey from West Yorkshire to Warwickshire to view it. For all I know, one of you might have told me it was the deal if the century!