iPad not connecting to mobile wifi

XLD

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Don't you have to tell the mobile to act as a hot spot?

Yes, and they have,

If I've read the OP correctly.

1 minute ago, XLD said:

Yes. But I when I'm at home they use the landline internet. Now I'm aboard the iPad can't connect to my mobile.

Are you using the correct password for the mobile hotspot?

Can the ipad 'see' the mobile hotspot?

6 minutes ago, M_JG said:

Are you using the correct password for the mobile hotspot?

Can the ipad 'see' the mobile hotspot?

Yes password is correct but iPad is not finding the mobile's network signal🤔.

1 minute ago, XLD said:

Yes password is correct but iPad is not finding the mobile's network signal🤔.

We get this sometimes with Mrs M_JG's iphone. Quite often our Amazon Fire stick will not see the mobile hot spot it generates.

We normally sort it by shutting the iPhone down and starting it up again. Along with which ever device we are trying to connect.

No idea why it does it or why doing this seems to sort it.

56 minutes ago, XLD said:

Both bluetooths "on", reasonable 4G signal, hotspot on mobile "on"

VPN connected. So why is my iPad not connecting🤔

Does it connect with the VPN off?

When you say "doesn't connect" do you mean no RF connection at all, or no Internet?

At home your mobile will be using Wi-Fi to connect to the Internet (via your landline), on the boat it will be using the mobile network -- is this the problem?

Edited by IanD

5 minutes ago, M_JG said:

We get this sometimes with Mrs M_JG's iphone. Quite often our Amazon Fire stick will not see the mobile hot spot it generates.

We normally sort it by shutting the iPhone down and starting it up again. Along with which ever device we are trying to connect.

No idea why it does it or why doing this seems to sort it.

Hmm. I'm going to switch eberything off and start from scratch. There is a Firestick too but I've not involved it yet🙄

4 minutes ago, IanD said:

Does it connect with the VPN off?

When you say "doesn't connect" do you mean no RF connection at all, or no Internet?

I'll turn the VPN off. What is RF???

8 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

Is the iPad capable of connecting to  2.5GHz & 5GHz networks?

Possible if older it will only cope with 2.5GHz and if the WiFi is 5GHz then it won't have it

The IPad is the latest model.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, XLD said:

Hmm. I'm going to switch eberything off and start from scratch. There is a Firestick too but I've not involved it yet🙄

I'll turn the VPN off. What is RF???

The IPad is the latest model.

RF = radio frequency i.e. the connection from the iPad to the phone. Don't know how the iPad displays this, but you should have some network diagnostics on it to see what's going on...

37 minutes ago, MartynG said:

On the phone wifi probably needs to be turned off (it does on my android phone) to allow the phone to act as a hotspot 

What phone?

On my Pixel 6a I can have both on.

I suspect that is an Android version thing thinking about it.

20230524_162154.jpg

Edited by M_JG

30 minutes ago, MartynG said:

On the phone wifi probably needs to be turned off (it does on my android phone) to allow the phone to act as a hotspot 

That happens automatically on mine (Android) when you turn mobile hotspot on...

3 hours ago, IanD said:

That happens automatically on mine (Android) when you turn mobile hotspot on...

Yes it does on my android  also but XLD said the wifi was on which made me think that if wifi on the phone is on it  might be blocking the hotspot from operating.

3 hours ago, M_JG said:

What phone?

On my Pixel 6a I can have both on.

I suspect that is an Android version thing thinking about it.

Samsung - Android

I don’t think you say if the phone is an iPhone, but I often have an issue on connecting my iPad to my iPhone, in that the iPad will not see the iPhone network.  Some times it works as it should, as it meets the requirements as both iPhone and iPand have Bluetooth on, and they are both using the same Apple ID.  I can always connect the blue tool which does creat an Ethernet connection, but for me that seems slower than using wifi.  So I have to unlock the phone and have the personal hotspot page in setting displayed on screen, and then it connects fine.

Usuall once by iPad is connected, other devices like my wife’s phone and the Firestick connect ok, but occasionally that needs the hot spot screen to be displayed as well.

I wish I could figure out why this does not always work as it is a pain when the phone is in the cratch area to be a better signal!