Advice on Pitting Please!

Featured Posts

No…

still in the pub. 

Don’t you like the idea of drinking from a straw off your roof? 

I would if I had a straw roof. 

Could be a money earner, why not open a cocktail bar. 

HOVELTAILS

-drank through sustainable straws,

could get a grant for that 

🤷‍♀️ just an idea 

Looks pretty normal for a boat of that age. Our boat club has it's own dry dock so I get to see lots of baseplates. Apart from one very old Norton Canes boat which has steel looking like it was when built, every boat I see looks like that. Midnight had pitting up to 4mm which took me awhile to weld. The basepate was sandblasted and two packed. That was ten years ago and there hasn't been any further deterioration. Survey next year when it's twenty years old.

11 hours ago, MtB said:

Point of Order...

This is a self-selecting population. 

Only the fish with successful strategies for surviving the oxygen-depleted environment 600mm down, are alive for you to notice!

Hope that helps. ;) 

(Nice wine, this.) 

You could be corrrect,  I sometimes see dead fish floating in the canal

(late reply...nice beer, nice pub)

20 hours ago, emma_naomi said:

Thank you all for your help and comments. It seems as though as long as we look after it there should be no further corrosion so I think we will be going through with the purchase. 

If you like the boat, buy it, and start enjoying it. You will find all sorts of things go ‘wrong’. That is in the nature of boats, and sorting these things out is in the nature of the experience and learning that boat owning provides. It’s going to cost a lot more than you think, and some illusions may be eroded, but you will be having an experience. Good luck, and don’t worry too much. 

I expect that baseplate is just like all the others - and likely better as its been epoxied and most have not. 

5 hours ago, Tigerr said:

If you like the boat, buy it, and start enjoying it. You will find all sorts of things go ‘wrong’. That is in the nature of boats, and sorting these things out is in the nature of the experience and learning that boat owning provides. It’s going to cost a lot more than you think, and some illusions may be eroded, but you will be having an experience. Good luck, and don’t worry too much. 

I expect that baseplate is just like all the others - and likely better as its been epoxied and most have not. 

^^^ This ^^^

Its hard to over-emphasise how much pleasure there is to be had from boating in a 'less-than-perfect' boat. EVERYONE else on the forum is doing exactly this.

Just buy the boat and use it for the 20 - 50 years it will take to sink. Worry about it when it happens, which it probably won't. Something will probably happen in the interim to intervene anyway but if it doesn't, by then you'll be able to afford another.

In my experience once a pit or scabby bit of steel has been cleaned and sanded then epoxied it stops the progress of the pit. In fact even if its just had some bitumen slapped on it protects it but not for so long. Frequent docking is the real answer and a nice dry painted bilge.

11 minutes ago, Bee said:

In my experience once a pit or scabby bit of steel has been cleaned and sanded then epoxied it stops the progress of the pit. In fact even if its just had some bitumen slapped on it protects it but not for so long. Frequent docking is the real answer and a nice dry painted bilge.

Unless it is Microbial Corrosion which lives underneath any coating (inc 2-pack epoxy) and makes its own 'pits'

The main problem is that the microbes can continue to live beneath the existing paint coatings and once sealed in with a fresh blacking, the lack of oxygen and light is the perfect environment for them to thrive leading to a risk of corrosion from the inside out. No coatings are entirely proof against a microbial attack from the exterior. Minute pinpricks, mechanical damage below the waterline are all opportunities for the microbes to penetrate the steel and commence the process from the outside in..

Protective coatings of paint, coal tar, or asphalt may be worse than no coating at all because pinholes in the coating permit pits to form that may result in perforation.

Screenshot (2128).png

9 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Unless it is Microbial Corrosion which lives underneath any coating (inc 2-pack epoxy) and makes its own 'pits'

The main problem is that the microbes can continue to live beneath the existing paint coatings and once sealed in with a fresh blacking, the lack of oxygen and light is the perfect environment for them to thrive leading to a risk of corrosion from the inside out. No coatings are entirely proof against a microbial attack from the exterior. Minute pinpricks, mechanical damage below the waterline are all opportunities for the microbes to penetrate the steel and commence the process from the outside in..

Protective coatings of paint, coal tar, or asphalt may be worse than no coating at all because pinholes in the coating permit pits to form that may result in perforation.

Screenshot (2128).png

So much negative thoughts, again!

1 minute ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Yes it's a wonder that there are any steel boats floating in the canals at all, given how prevalent Alan would have us believe microbial corrosion is. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, MtB said:

Yes it's a wonder that there are any steel boats floating in the canals at all, given how prevalent Alan would have us believe microbial corrosion is. 

Just because you have not personally experienced it does not mean it doesn't exist - just ask the growing numbers of NB owners (even on this forum) who have suffered.

It is treatable, so are you suggesting that people should not be made aware of it so, if they have a problem, it can be considered and if found to be MIC then they can use the correct treatment.

Maybe you also think that as gas explosions are so infrequent on a NB that folks should not be told it is a possibility and take action to minimise the risks ?

Edited by Alan de Enfield

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Just because you have not personally experienced it does not mean it doesn't exist - just ask the growing numbers of NB owners (even on this forum) who have suffered.

Ok I just have, with a poll.

It obviously exists, I just questioned prevalence. Now perhaps we shall get some perspective.

7 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Screenshot (2128).png

We must all suffer from it then

8 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Alan has a doom & disaster anecdote for every situation. 

He has direct experience of boats going over weirs, insurers that won't pay out, imminent legislation that prevents everything, bad surveys, fraudulent sellers, faulty overplaying, sinking boats, maladministration in the planning department and a host of others.  If he wasn't such a nice chap, the best advice would be to keep well clear for one's own safety.

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Tacet said:

Alan has a doom & disaster anecdote for every situation. 

He has direct experience of boats going over weirs, insurers that won't pay out, imminent legislation that prevents everything, bad surveys, fraudulent sellers, faulty overplaying, sinking boats, maladministration in the planning department and a host of others.  If he wasn't such a nice chap, the best advice would be to keep well clear for one's own safety.

Hey, you missed one out!! 

All his boats are infested with irreparable microbial corrosion. 

On 26/05/2023 at 19:04, David Mack said:

Osmosis?

Nope - non at last lift out.

19 minutes ago, IanD said:

Delamination?

Nope - non found whilst 'walking around'. No soft spots. No delam.

Many years ago we were looking at at large, and not cheap, "Trader" built in Singapore (Trawler Yacht design) and it was rife with delams - walking along the side decks was like walking on a trampoline - we didn't need a surveyor to say "keep well away from it"

This sort of thing ....................

• 1989 Marine Trader Med Trawler
    •