Laurence Hogg Boatmans Cabin Drawings

Featured Posts

16 minutes ago, Darrenroberts said:

Hi guys, dose any one know where I could get hold of some boatman's cabin drawings for a big Woolwich motor? the Laurence Hogg website doesn't appear to work any more. thanks in advance 

Have you tried using Wayback Machine? https://archive.org/web/

Might work, worth a shot

17 minutes ago, IanM said:

You might be able to view the site but as it was Laurence who sent out the drawings he won't be able to buy any.

Ahhh, fair enough, thought they might have been stored there, didn't know they were a purchasable item ;) 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Chris M Jones said:

The Waterways Archives at Ellesmere Port has plans

Woolwich 1.png

I had a book from Hoggie with that drawing in it. lent (gave, never seen it again)it to a friend who wanted to do an OO model of a boat for his layout

3 hours ago, Derek R. said:

Does this help?

BW58-10-5-1-44GUcabin.thumb.jpg.be1ff7d03253484638291d1876a1a666.jpg

I seem to recall Lawrence Hogg saying that GUCCCo back cabins were originally painted plain grey internally, and it was only as a result of pressure from the boatmen that they were later scumbled and decorated in traditional manner. Yet this drawing, dated 1931, states "Inside of cabin to be grained and varnished, and panels painted with floral design, all in accordance with the usual canal boat practice."

12 hours ago, David Mack said:

I seem to recall Lawrence Hogg saying that GUCCCo back cabins were originally painted plain grey internally, and it was only as a result of pressure from the boatmen that they were later scumbled and decorated in traditional manner. Yet this drawing, dated 1931, states "Inside of cabin to be grained and varnished, and panels painted with floral design, all in accordance with the usual canal boat practice."

But this is apparently a Royalty boat (and therefore built by ACC??) not a GUCCCo built boat. Presumably the heading was added later when this was kept as a reference drawing, or was ACC owned by the GUC anyway?

Edited by Captain Pegg

ACC, GUCCC, Royalty, Wood or steel, precise measurements will be determined by the carpenter on the job. It's not like someone is going to cut his timber off site, then expect everything to fit when they get to the hull and cabin, chances are it won't. As it stands, that diagram gives sufficient layout of all the relevant items for anyone with the woodworking skills to reproduce in any full size cabin. I doubt any cabin furniture was built to exactly the same dimensions. You cut the wood to fit the space. If I can reproduce a four foot long back cabin of a butty out of raw materials just on the knowledge of having lived in one, what need is there of detailed plans?

As I said on posting said plan - "Does this help?" I did not suggest 'These are the dimensions you need to build by'. If anyone can come up with something better - please feel free.

ETA:  A grey interior. Bet that would have gone down well . . .

Edited by Derek R.

1 hour ago, Derek R. said:

ACC, GUCCC, Royalty, Wood or steel, precise measurements will be determined by the carpenter on the job. It's not like someone is going to cut his timber off site, then expect everything to fit when they get to the hull and cabin, chances are it won't. As it stands, that diagram gives sufficient layout of all the relevant items for anyone with the woodworking skills to reproduce in any full size cabin. I doubt any cabin furniture was built to exactly the same dimensions. You cut the wood to fit the space. If I can reproduce a four foot long back cabin of a butty out of raw materials just on the knowledge of having lived in one, what need is there of detailed plans?

As I said on posting said plan - "Does this help?" I did not suggest 'These are the dimensions you need to build by'. If anyone can come up with something better - please feel free.

ETA:  A grey interior. Bet that would have gone down well . . .

I couldn't agree more. The craftsmen working in a canal boatyard would know exactly what was wanted in general, and built it to fit each individual boat. I have found the same in maintenance yards, where lock gates were built just to outline measurements; the carpenters would have known what was wanted in detail. The only smaller canals where full lock gate drawings were provided were railway-owned, where they would have access to a drawing office. Perhaps this is another reason why many railway-owned canals worked at a loss.