I'm curious about your recommendations for a beginner and someone looking to buy their first project boat

Pelinsu D.

Featured Posts

27 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Just to let you know what is happening to your postings and how we see them. I expect they appear differently on your screen 

image.png.27709ea1950acbce948decb20373e220.png

Thanks for making me realize this.  I am making the necessary correction.

@agg221

Actually, I'm after a project that I can use sometimes as a mold and sometimes as an art gallery, and reflect my tiny and cute art.  I have a field where I can work.  I'm reviewing the attachments.  thanks @agg221

Edited by Pelinsu D.
  • Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

I would add that, if you have time to watch many YouTube videos, then this might be a good place to start:

It’s quite a good insight into just how much bloody hard work is involved in a ‘project boat’. It certainly put me off the thought of attempting a restoration project!

• Greenie 1

Oh go on ten my few quids worth....and i wnat paying for this advice. ill sen don details ;)

See boating starts to coast straight away :) lol

I have done a few boats, being cruisers as i am not into narrow boats yet. when i retire if i make it after faffing with boats most my life. 

You dont exactly say what type of boat. but in reality all cost same for footage. My last boat build in the previous link to the small GRP cost me around £5k, its a full on rebuild and i sold it to a couple who still live on it after 2 years of ownership. That was some graft and took some 5 years with a couple of winters off it , but i enjoyed it, think i still do. that was a real basket case plant pot as you can see if you looked at it.

Another thing, are you going to do it all yourself ?, are you a competent DIY`er ? which is all that is needed for a GRP boat IMO. Now a steel boat is more involving to repair, can you weld, if not it will cost a good amount, a few £Ks to get a good welding rig and accessories etc to just weld up the boat where needed.  

I have worked on many boats lots of my own and others. it is hard work which i gather you are ok with but wat about time ?

Just a few things tat to consider. 

I would look at it as something you enjoy doing and IF you get it complete dont expect to gain money back but the buzz from doing it and what you have accomplished. 

Some say dont get a project, in a way i sort of agree, only part of me is puddled and i just get stuck in and do what i want to do, maybe get a boat usable first off if your new to it and see if you like boating. then either sell that one or get a one that is more to your liking.  Just consider costs. say a small max 25 GRP cruiser. around £50pm for HS or even mooring, and lot more if you go in a bling marina as much as £1.5k, and an NB well take your pic as some are ridiculous. 

Where you boat is kept can be a BIG contribution to you finishing it. If its near home easier if you have to travel say even half hour away it can be a killer of the project. even kept on your door step its hard work. 

In all there is a lot to think about and take on for a newbi. but if like me and your a bit dolally then sod it and just go for it. 

The bow and stern of a boat, and their installed equipment, including the engine, batteries etc, account for a huge proportion of the cost, but contribute nothing really to the available accomodation. So the middle bit, where the accomodation is, is probably a lower cost per foot, then those two essential end bits. 

The cheapest you can probably get a boat, and a car, for is it's scrap value. And scrapping is then probably the most sensible thing to do with them.

"Project boats" are not for the faint hearted.

Even "shiney boats" are actually an ongoing project, as surface finishes degrade, the mechanicals and electricals need routine maintenance and  still unexpectedly break down. Breakdowns that require diagnosis, sourcing parts and if required skilled tradespeople, and getting all this to your boat wherever it is, or your boat to them. 

And then there is water.The various kinds of water getting where it shouldn't be and doing damage, and not getting to where it should be.

Much the same for the various types of electricity onboard. 

It really depends on what sort of project you envisage and what skills you have.

And where will the project boat be, that it is secure always, against water, and ne'er do well access? 

And a place, you actually have a right to be if the boat is immobile. Not merely overstaying on 14day mooring with a  "boat broken down sign"

Then there is access for those material deliveries, and electricity for those power tools. 

And where are you going to live in any periods that the boat is uninhabitable?

And do you really have the time available? lots and lots of time, and then doubled.  

And the key question.

Is it really want you want to do, or would you rather be living on board whilst actually boating? 

Most successful big restoration projects are undertaken with the boat on dry land in a shed and worked on near full time. 

Lots of money interfacing with lots of tools and skilled labour. 

On this site there is a massive amount of experience, and extraordinary knowledge,  in undertaking  projects on boats. 

Nearly every possible problem has been encountered, and then resolved with a wide range  of methods and degrees of success.

But good luck. The spectacle of the narrowboat rallies is completely down to the skills, and resources of those who have taken on "project boats"

Edited by DandV

After reading all the articles, I started to think that it would be easier and more instructive for me to buy a cruiser project boat in the first place. I have an area on land to restore the boat. And I don't have a problem with accommodation. I know that I only have to get technical and professional support about the engine and electrical parts. I am eager to learn everything other than these and the subjects that I feel close to. I am very excited to share the details with you. @W+T @DanV 

Thanks everyone for the detailed explanations. 

• Greenie 3

28 minutes ago, Pelinsu D. said:

I know that I only have to get technical and professional support about the engine and electrical parts

With regard to the electrical advice, ensure that you are getting advice from a 'marine electrician' because electricians with experience of automobiles or houses will not know the regulations for boats.

It may also be a good idea to have professional help with the gas system, again, the rules for gas in boats are very different to rules for caravans or houses so make sure the person you talk with is correctly experienced / qualified for boats.

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, Pelinsu D. said:

After reading all the articles, I started to think that it would be easier and more instructive for me to buy a cruiser project boat in the first place. I have an area on land to restore the boat. And I don't have a problem with accommodation. I know that I only have to get technical and professional support about the engine and electrical parts. I am eager to learn everything other than these and the subjects that I feel close to. I am very excited to share the details with you. @W+T @DanV 

It is a good idea to get advice on the things you don't know. You may find though that the electrics and engine are things which you can do yourself, following advice which you can get here. @Tony Brooks website covers pretty much everything you need to know on electrics and engines on boats are quite simple, although if it is an inboard you may need a second pair of hands getting it in and out. Many cruisers have outboards which does make that a lot more straightforward.

One other important thing to consider is where you want to go with the boat. That determines how big (particularly how wide) it can be. Many cruisers are wider than the narrow canal locks which would limit your range but where you currently are would be fine. A wider boat gives you more space, slightly more stability and makes it easier to find a suitable boat as there are more of them about.

I am convinced that @W+T is actually a magician because I can't see how else he achieves such brilliant results. If I was looking at project end cruisers and found something that I thought might be suitable, I would definitely be asking his opinion on just how bad it might be.

Another consideration at that end of the market is where the boat is and how you might get it to where you need it to be. If it floats and is on a suitable waterway then one option is always to fit an outboard to it and bring it back by water. It's pretty basic, but you don't need much to camp on it. The other option is transport by road, but unless you have/know someone with a suitable trailer and towing vehicle that can quickly get more expensive than the boat costs.

Here's one to kick off with: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/955071272157602/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3Aeefc5bcc-f7c3-463d-ae84-c316cc705fe2

Alec

Edited by agg221
  • Greenie 1

47 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

With regard to the electrical advice, ensure that you are getting advice from a 'marine electrician' because electricians with experience of automobiles or houses will not know the regulations for boats.

It may also be a good idea to have professional help with the gas system, again, the rules for gas in boats are very different to rules for caravans or houses so make sure the person you talk with is correctly experienced / qualified for boats.

Good advice about the need for a "marine electrician". However, that could be  easier said than done. There are many people around who profess to be but, like "marine engineers", I would question whether some of them are trained and experienced in the "marine" aspect of their trade. Of course there are many very experienced and reliable professionals out there, but there are also some who may be less so. It boils down to word of mouth, so it is advisable to ask around and be careful of who to pick. There is much advice on forums such as this but even here advice can vary so just be careful in your choice..

Howard

4 minutes ago, howardang said:

Good advice about the need for a "marine electrician". However, that could be  easier said than done. There are many people around who profess to be but, like "marine engineers", I would question whether some of them are trained and experienced in the "marine" aspect of their trade. Of course there are many very experienced and reliable professionals out there, but there are also some who may be less so. It boils down to word of mouth, so it is advisable to ask around and be careful of who to pick. There is much advice on forums such as this but even here advice can vary so just be careful in your choice..

Howard

Abssolutely, but a simple test would be to ask your prospective electrician if he is aware of (& works to) 

ISO 13297:2020(en)
Small craft — Electrical systems — Alternating and direct current installations

(Which is the new specification combining both the 230v AC and 12v DC wiring standards)

Google Translate thinks she is writing in Turkish - there is obviously something very odd going on here and I am rather suspicious to say the least 😁

Is Pelinsu actually a computer?

Tam

Edited by Tam & Di

5 minutes ago, Tam & Di said:

Google Translate thinks she is writing in Turkish - there is obviously something very odd going on here and I am rather suspicious to say the least 😁

Is Pelinsu actually a computer?

Tam

I want you to know that I have tried very hard to eliminate this problem. I faced this problem because the page is auto-translating 

Sorry 😔 

9 minutes ago, Pelinsu D. said:

I want you to know that I have tried very hard to eliminate this problem. I faced this problem because the page is auto-translating 

Sorry 😔 

Which web browser are you using? If it is Chrome (the Google web browser) it may have something in the settings that automatically translates, especially if you have asked it to translate the replies to your post into another language.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Tam & Di said:

Hmmm - Pelinsu is Finnish for "game"  🤷‍♂️

Tam

I don't think this thread has anything to do with my name. English meaning of this if it will satisfy your curiosity  - wormwood + water 

4 hours ago, Pelinsu D. said:

A GRP/fibreglass cruiser would be more affordable (both cheaper in the first place and because there's less professional help you need because the hulls don't rust away and the engine is normally an outboard) and allow you to focus on the bits you probably find more interesting like interior decoration

Narrowboats are prettier (when rstored) and better for living on, but the cost difference is huge.

One other thing: if you end up finishing the boat and using it to sell your art to passing people, you will need a commercial license for it, which costs more than a normal boat licence. But this should be possible for you to purchase when you are ready (you may have seen other boats selling art)

Edited by enigmatic

4 hours ago, Pelinsu D. said:

I don't think this thread has anything to do with my name. English meaning of this if it will satisfy your curiosity  - wormwood + water 

I hope everything is as you say and you find the replies helpful. Unfortunately the forum does get a lot of enquiries which are not quite what they seem, and people here waste a lot of time making replies that are completely ignored. You appeared to have very little knowledge of canals or boats, and your mails have been in rather strained English language or in Turkish, so when I saw that your name meant "Game" in Finnish it seemed to confirm suspicions. Hopefully I made a mistake, and I'll say no more on it now.

Tam

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Tam & Di said:

I hope everything is as you say and you find the replies helpful. Unfortunately the forum does get a lot of enquiries which are not quite what they seem, and people here waste a lot of time making replies that are completely ignored. You appeared to have very little knowledge of canals or boats, and your mails have been in rather strained English language or in Turkish, so when I saw that your name meant "Game" in Finnish it seemed to confirm suspicions. Hopefully I made a mistake, and I'll say no more on it now.

Tam

I totally agree with your opinion. Now we have to be skeptical in many areas of life . thanks for your explanation 🙂

OP: I'm curious, you say you have a 'field' to work in. Ho do you plan on getting the boat from the water to the field? Has the field got electricity, how do you plan on running power tools, chargers, heaters etc? Have you got anywhere to work under cover & dry storage?

Then comes the actual work, you realise you'll have to work to at least the BSS code.  I agree with what's already been said about costs and timings...!!