I'm curious about your recommendations for a beginner and someone looking to buy their first project boat

Pelinsu D.

Featured Posts

I would not advise a beginner to buy a project boat because you may not know what you are trying to achieve, you may think you know but that is not the same thing. Buy a boat that works, live and learn with it then get your project

• Greenie 4

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

I would not advise a beginner to buy a project boat because you may not know what you are trying to achieve, you may think you know but that is not the same thing. Buy a boat that works, live and learn with it then get your project

Seconded, I would add that even more importantly is, do not buy a new boat. Instant loss of money and even if you think you know precisely what you want, you will have changed bits in your mind even b4 its fully built.

• Greenie 2

4 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I would not advise a beginner to buy a project boat because you may not know what you are trying to achieve, you may think you know but that is not the same thing. Buy a boat that works, live and learn with it then get your project

I had a short experience. but of course it is not enough as you say. I can only say that I am looking for a complex adventure.  

Edited by Pelinsu D.

The "average price range" is from £5000 to £150,000.

Any boat is worth what somebody pays for it. Any boat needs funds to fix, upgrade, modify, maintain, moor, license, insure and own it. These funds will be at least three times the figure first expected..

B ung

ut

A nother

housand.

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Although I know how tiring the restoration process will be, I want to experience it. and as you said, I want to arrange it according to my own aesthetic and comfort request.

Edited by Pelinsu D.

7 minutes ago, Pelinsu D. said:

Although I know how tiring the restoration process will be, I want to experience it. and as you said, I want to arrange it according to my own aesthetic and comfort request.

Then buy a lined sailaway because then there will be no surprises when the hull turns out to be totally rotted out! price wise it will be similar to a well worn NB that you are going to buy and then throw away most of what you have paid for

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, peterboat said:

Then buy a lined sailaway because then there will be no surprises when the hull turns out to be totally rotted out! price wise it will be similar to a well worn NB that you are going to buy and then throw away most of what you have paid for

I am unfamiliar with these terms you use. Can we support it with images? Or link 

4 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

The "average price range" is from £5000 to £150,000.

Any boat is worth what somebody pays for it. Any boat needs funds to fix, upgrade, modify, maintain, moor, license, insure and own it. These funds will be at least three times the figure first expected..

B ung

O ut

A nother

T housand

What do you think of a tiny 20 ft narrowboat

Edited by Pelinsu D.

You may think you know how tiring it will be.  I am certain you are underestimating it.  All boats take at least twice, and usually 3 times, as long as the owner expects, cost three and often four times as much as the owner expected  and never ever go to plan on a day to day basis.

I occasionally get the thought that I would like to do another boat; you know, one without the errors and compromises that got into the other two.  Fortunately my wife has trained me, so that when this happens I go and lie in a darkened room till the idea goes away.

N

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Pelinsu D. said:

I am unfamiliar with these terms you use. Can we support it with images? Or link 

What do you think of a tiny 20 ft narrowboat?

Here you go, not the best builders but it will give you a clue, 20 foot is to small its classed as a day boat

https://www.collingwoodboatbuilders.co.uk/sailaway-lined-range/?gad=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwyLGjBhDKARIsAFRNgW_RU0sRVYQDy-oY8aUdk8NnjjZj_276BAqcgwf4sYJ7wd_Kl2b3ZCwaAmyLEALw_wcB

4 hours ago, BEngo said:

You may think you know how tiring it will be. I am certain you are underestimating it. All boats take at least twice, and usually 3 times, as long as the owner expects, cost three and often four times as much as the owner expected and never ever go to plan on a day to day basis.

I occasionally get the thought that I would like to do another boat; you know, one without the errors and compromises that got into the other two. Fortunately my wife has trained me, so that when this happens I go and lie in a darkened room till the idea goes away.

N

I've been thinking for 4 years. I don't think the dark room will help. As far as I know, the dark room is generally good for migraines. 🙂 I need a tiring process to occupy my mind, who knows. 

Edited by Pelinsu D.

2 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

No, I'm suggesting that it will cost a great deal of money. If you have enough to throw away, fill yer boots, but don't blame us.

It was enough of an answer to get away from here. I will see what I am curious about by experiencing it. Thank you 

Edited by Pelinsu D.

What the blazes is going on with the quotes!!!! By all means use a translation app to understand the replies to your question, but don't convert the quote to gibberish for all to see.

I would add that for a beginner with little knowledge of steel boats and their repair, a GRP narrow beam canal boat may be an easier job. At least you can stick bulkheads etc. in with a bit of body filler, chopped strand mat, and resin. You can do the same type og DIY repair to GRP hulls, unlike steel ones.

Edited by Tony Brooks

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

What the blazes is going on with the quotes!!!! By all means use a translation app to understand the replies to your question, but don't convert the quote to gibberish for all to see.

I would add that for a beginner with little knowledge of steel boats and their repair, a GRP narrow beam canal boat may be an easier job. At least you can stick bulkheads etc. in with a bit of body filler, chopped strand mat, and resin. You can do the same type og DIY repair to GRP hulls, unlike steel ones.

I didn't have the slightest idea about the algorithm of the system.  thank you for informing . 

2 hours ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

I suspect he’s not even in this country??

I've been living in this country for a while and I'm struggling to adapt. 

Edited by Pelinsu D.
  • Greenie 1

This is a disaster waiting to happen I’m afraid. The romance is great but the experience is much worse.
All the advise above is sound. You are probably hearing a couple of hundred years of accrued wisdom above . Go against it if you want but it’s all built from bitter experiences. 

Apart from that the whole issue and joy of boating in London awaits by the sounds of it.. 

Absolutely.

@Pelinsu D. Over and above the problems alluded to above, there is probably an even larger one if you think you can legally moor in and around London for no money. When you license, your boat CaRT will require you keep moving every two weeks or fewer AND they expect that you will move a fair distance. This is no longer very easy in London because of the proliferation of others with the same idea. You also need to address the scarcity of rubbish and sewerage disposal points and water points for refilling your tank.  I suggest that you start travelling the London towpaths to see for yourself and also talk to boaters. Unless you have somewhere to store materials and fit out the boat, it is immeasurably more difficult to try to do it while complying with CaRT's regulations.

• Greenie 2

I am going to take a different approach. I am going to assume you are looking for a hobby and are thinking of a project boat as something you would enjoy spending your time doing. I am going to assume that you have some disposable income and that really what you are interested in is the process of doing the boat, but you quite fancy the idea of using it when it is finished, but you are not desperate to be out on the water and so will not become frustrated if it takes a long time. I am also going to assume that you know that it will almost certainly cost you more than it is worth when it is finished, but that is OK because you will have enjoyed doing it, and will feel a sense of satisfaction once it is finished. Under those circumstances, it is not a bad idea at all. A few things to think about:

1. What do you think you might do with the boat when it is finished? Is it for going away on at weekends, cruising the whole system, living on? This determines how big is sensible. A smaller boat (20') is much cheaper to do, takes less time and is cheaper to run. It will be fine for weekends or maybe a week. If you want to spend longer on it then you need a bigger boat for it to be comfortable. Similarly, how many people does it need to accommodate? If it's just you then small is fine, add more people and it needs to be bigger.

2. What type of boat do you like/what skills do you have, have access to or are prepared to learn? At one end of the scale you have a steel narrowboat which if it's a project boat may well need welding. At the other end of the scale you have a GRP cruiser which may need fibreglass repair. You will also need carpentry skills, some plumbing and wiring and to read/understand the relevant regulations.

3. Where are you going to work on it? Hull work will need to be out of the water so you need to plan for that. Once it is floating you will need to licence and insure it and have somewhere to keep it. All perfectly practical, just needs budgeting for.

Budget - depends a lot on the boat. A small GRP cruiser may even be free but a steel boat will be from £5k if you are going to take on hull repair work, £25k if you want something very short with a relatively new hull or slightly longer (say 30-35ft) with an older hull which has been properly repaired. If you are happy to take on the hull repair then I wouldn't worry about a survey and just assume it is in need of work, get it somewhere to repair it and then figure out what needs doing. If you want the hull to be sound I would definitely get a survey before buying.

Two threads you might find interesting to read as they give good insight into how other people have done this, including the ups and downs and just how much effort and time was involved:

Alec

• Greenie 2