Secured a new mooring

Bernie

Featured Posts

Well after much deliberation and umpteen phone calls we are finally moving the boat from the T&M onto the Bridgewater canal. Have secured a new mooring along a lovely stretch. No more locks unless we want to use them, where we are at present and have been for the last 12 years we have no choice, even to fill the water tank, we are at the top of the Middlewich Locks, so whichever way we go, locks, locks and more locks. Looking forward to the move. :cheers:

Sounds like a good move to me Bernie - although I don't know the canal personally.

Mooring at the lock was fine for a few years, but EVERY time you go downstream, you have to go through it, then again when you get back..........it's never been a problem for me, but it does get to be a time-consuming chore.

Thankfully now I have a choice, the result of not mooring on my 'proper' mooring.

That would be my O/H Colin, he did say when he arrived home that he had been talking to someone there. We got in at Massey Brook and look forward to moving the boat down in the next few days or so. Years ago we moored at Agden Wharf, but moved to Kings Lock when we were fit and didn't mind the locks, in fact enjoyed working them, but the years creep by. :cheers:

Nice one Bernie! I brought a boat down from Burcough , north of Wigan, and did the bit from Wigan to Preston brook about a month ago. Realy nice stretch.

Agree totally. Nice interesting stretch.

Hi Bernie,

Welcome to the Bridgewater :cheers: it's not a bad canal really...

I've been passed your boat a fair few times at Kings Lock, but as we're now practically neighbours, we may bump into each other soon.

We first contacted Mike Webb who sent us a list of all the moorings on the Bridgewater, then Colin visited all the sites and spoke to people. When he first spoke to the lady who has the moorings at Massey Brook she put us on the waiting list, then rang us last Sunday asking if we were still interested as a 50 footer had gone. We went down to see her and that was it. We have been looking for quite awhile though.

Well after much deliberation and umpteen phone calls we are finally moving the boat from the T&M onto the Bridgewater canal. Have secured a new mooring along a lovely stretch. No more locks unless we want to use them, where we are at present and have been for the last 12 years we have no choice, even to fill the water tank, we are at the top of the Middlewich Locks, so whichever way we go, locks, locks and more locks. Looking forward to the move. :D

Nice one, Bernie.

I'm moored at Top Locks, at the end of the Runcorn Arm .... literally! The Bridgewater is a nice canal, and very easy to cruise. Perhaps not the most picturesque canal on the system, but it has its moments :wub:

I love the Bridgewater too, cheaper than BW for licences too!!

Yes, but the beloved Mike Webb of Peel Holdings is not making too many friends at the moment - he/they are increasing fees by 30% over the next 3 years. We are all hoping that there will be a subsequent increase in the [practically non-existant] facilities. :wub:

I love the Bridgewater too, cheaper than BW for licences too!!

The difference is though, that you get 40 miles of canal with only a couple of "company" facilities, all of the others are provided by the likes of Claymoore, Thorn Marine etc. How many miles of waterways and facilities do BW provide?

All,

Don't forget that the biggest advantage of the Bridgewater Canal is Worsley Drydocks.

Each dock will take a long, wide boat or two narrowboats with room underneath to hold a dance.

I know, I have spent at least a week each of thirty years in there!

Tim

All,

Don't forget that the biggest advantage of the Bridgewater Canal is Worsley Drydocks.

Each dock will take a long, wide boat or two narrowboats with room underneath to hold a dance.

I know, I have spent at least a week each of thirty years in there!

Tim

Our club also has a big drydock ....... used by Claymore and a few others, and available for private useage too. :wub: