Engine noise

karanight

Featured Posts

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

That's the polite way of saying, "not interested, go away".

Also, it can mean "We don't think it will do what you're expecting it to do, so we'd rather not do it and risk an argument with you over it once done".

33 minutes ago, MtB said:

Also, it can mean "We don't think it will do what you're expecting it to do, so we'd rather not do it and risk an argument with you over it once done".

But on the other hand, if you've paid £5k for it and it doesn't work there's going to be an argument!

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

But on the other hand, if you've paid £5k for it and it doesn't work there's going to be an argument!

Being more explicit, I think they had by then worked out the OP's somewhat demanding expectations and quoted enough to make sure he didn't accept! 

13 hours ago, MtB said:

demanding expectations

I didn’t demand anything. I gave a simple plan of what I wanted which actually worked out better for them as there were less windows and that was it. Incidentally I was still charged for the missing window because they had a basic price, funny thing is that if I wanted an extra window I would have been charged for it 

The 1.8 BMC engine driving our hydraulic drive is situated in a box lined with sound deadening material.  It is not silent, but it cut the noise from 86 decibels to  53. 

eta On the other hand our Seffle was deafening and I resorted to wearing ear defenders in tunnels.  As for the Kelvin, I could listen to it all day chugging away without any silencer.

Edited by koukouvagia

16 hours ago, MtB said:

This raises another point. 

Is the OP's concern to make the boat quieter for people around the boat i.e. towpath users? If so, concentrate on exhaust noise and the silencer to get a 'quiet boat people mistake for electric'. 

If it is to reduce the noise levels suffered by the steerer, this won't make much difference and best to concentrate on making deck boards fit accurately and adding mass (e.g. the lead sheeting mentioned earlier) and wadding to reduce sound penetration through the boards. 

I think a hospital silencer makes a big difference to people on the boat too. General noise level is less and if you are passing any walls/bridges/moored boats/ tunnels etc it is much quieter. We have a HS and just thick ply board (Wisma) boxing in the engine and it’s pretty quiet.

49 minutes ago, koukouvagia said:

As for the Kelvin, I could listen to it all day chugging away without any silencer.

That'll be because of the long periods of silence between each combustion stroke! :D

Edited by MtB
Spell check interfering