Best Stern for Single Handed

Roper

Featured Posts

As a long-time single-hander I am very happy with my semi-trad. I frequently use the roof in locks so have slimline solar panels to allow plenty of roofspace either side of them. I usually steer from the inside of the external rear doors and like to sit out on the back deck at times. 

Just now, rgreg said:

As a long-time single-hander I am very happy with my semi-trad. I frequently use the roof in locks so have slimline solar panels to allow plenty of roofspace either side of them. I usually steer from the inside of the external rear doors and like to sit out on the back deck at times. 

Thanks. Seems all types have their pro's and con's and are a compromise in one way or another. Have experience of cruiser stern but think need to hire semi-trad and trad before getting the cheque book out and see what I feel most comfortable with.

• Greenie 1

There are huge advantages in a traditional engine 'ole, if set up correctly. 

Home from home for the foldy bike.

Excellent entry point when it is lagging down as you can leave your wet kit hanging up to dry without traipsing wet into the living space.

Room for the batteries, accessibly sited.

Handy 'stuff store' for oils grease, paint spare ropes etc.

Cracking drying room at the end of the dhoby. With a suitable engine can  give your shreddies that hot oil backed by diesel aroma.

Easy access to the engine!

N

• Greenie 3

18 minutes ago, Rocket Rob said:

Thanks. Seems all types have their pro's and con's and are a compromise in one way or another. Have experience of cruiser stern but think need to hire semi-trad and trad before getting the cheque book out and see what I feel most comfortable with.

They are all doable obviously but a trad is best. Ideally with a footstep inside the hatch and even better if it's an old-style trad rather than a modern trad.

On a cruiser stern you're stood there on your tod like a lemon, cruiser sterns are for communal boating. Semi-trads are possibly good for boating with kids but like with a cruiser everything is so far away from where you're stood. It's nice to be able to stand in the hatch with some warmth and shelter, your mug of tea on the slide within reach, gauges visible as you cruise,

Better still that there is no taff rail or seats and as someone else said a front with no cratch cover although I'm not so sure about a well deck since I reckon a large proportion of boating accidents occur when accessing or exiting a well deck.

Most important though for single handing is that the rear half of the cabin top is free from obstructions, not just for access across the roof but also so there is nothing to snag the centre line.

Edited by Captain Pegg

16 minutes ago, BEngo said:

There are huge advantages in a traditional engine 'ole, if set up correctly. 

Home from home for the foldy bike.

Excellent entry point when it is lagging down as you can leave your wet kit hanging up to dry without traipsing wet into the living space.

Room for the batteries, accessibly sited.

Handy 'stuff store' for oils grease, paint spare ropes etc.

Cracking drying room at the end of the dhoby. With a suitable engine can  give your shreddies that hot oil backed by diesel aroma.

Easy access to the engine!

N

11 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

They are all doable obviously but a trad is best. Ideally with a footstep inside the hatch and even better if it's an old-style trad rather than a modern trad.

On a cruiser stern you're stood there on your tod like a lemon, cruiser sterns are for communal boating. Semi-trads are possibly good for boating with kids but like with a cruiser everything is so far away from where you're stood. It's nice to be able to stand in the hatch with some warmth and shelter, your mug of tea on the slide within reach, gauges visible as you cruise,

Better still that there is no taff rail or seats and as someone else said a front with no cratch cover although I'm not so sure about a well deck since I reckon a large proportion of boating accidents occur when accessing or exiting a well deck.

Most important though for single handing is that the rear half of the cabin top is free from obstructions, not just for access across the roof but also so there is nothing to snag the centre line.

Thanks, trads certainly coming out top, will hire the boat from M_JG's post and take it from there.

52 minutes ago, MrsM said:

I single--hand our cruiser stern while hubby is inside working during the week. Enjoy the ease of getting on and off but rather dependent on good warm foul weather gear. We only use our pram hood for winter storage and have taken off the cratch for this season's cruising. Not as much storage but nicer to sit out in. Would definitely advise a cratch if you are planning to live aboard. 

Depends on the overall length, I have a 57ft and keep the coal outside but keep purchased logs in two cupboards inside. If I had a much smaller boat I would have the cratch to store coal, wood, and other stuff as a means of extending the storage.

I have a trad which has the remains of some seating, now they assist getting on and off safely. I have some solar panels on the roof and use the gunwales to walk to lock ladders, (can be dirty).

I have two strong centrelines, both are longer than the boat which is great for singlehanding. 

I keep them coiled on the cabin top. They can be dropped in to the cabin via the open hatch.

I might choose something else if the dog is too big to stay in the stern, but he should probably be inside the boat in locks.

Edited by LadyG

1 hour ago, Loddon said:

Trad stern for me every time. Loddon has steps front and back makes getting on the roof easy. However I cant remember the last time i climbed on the roof to do a lock, if you need to climb onto the roof then you are doing it wrong. 

What’s your method for ascending Tardebigge single handed?

1 minute ago, Loddon said:

It surprises me that Chris Deuchars book doesn't get mentioned more often.

It's only small but is the best guide on how to handle a boat.

Boater's Guide to Boating https://amzn.eu/d/5ezGHwe

Anybody on here that hasn't read it will learn something from it. 

I really should read it again

3 minutes ago, Loddon said:

It surprises me that Chris Deuchars book doesn't get mentioned more often.

It's only small but is the best guide on how to handle a boat.

Boater's Guide to Boating https://amzn.eu/d/5ezGHwe

Anybody on here that hasn't read it will learn something from it. 

I have a copy that I would let go if anyone wants it, unmarked     ISBN   0 9531512  0  4  You are never too old to learn a bit more about canal boating.

10 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Depends on the overall length, I have a 57ft and keep the coal outside but keep purchased logs in two cupboards inside. If I had a much smaller boat I would have the catch to store coal, wood, and other stuff as a means of extending the storage.

I have a trad which has the remains of some seating, now they assist getting on and off safely. I have some solar panels on the roof and use the gunwales to walk to lock ladders. 

I have two strong centrelines, both are longer than the boat which is great for singlehanding. 

I keep them , coiled on the cabin top. They can be dropped in to the cabin via the open hatch.

Trad's outright leaders

1 minute ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I have a copy that I would let go if anyone wants it, unmarked     ISBN   0 9531512  0  4  You are never too old to learn a bit more about canal boating.

Many thanks to @Loddon for the link, I've ordered a copy in anticipation of being afloat

7 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

What’s your method for ascending Tardebigge single handed?

I cant remember Its over 20 years since I went up there. Summer 2002.

Did Lowesmoor  Basin to Hopwood House in a day on my own so I must have been doing something right.

Next day was Long Itchington @ditchcrawler helped me up the last few

Day after that was Stoke Bruene 

Day after that was Marsworth.

10 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Is it a rare unsigned first edition ?

You had to be there!

5 minutes ago, Loddon said:

I cant remember Its over 20 years since I went up there. Summer 2002.

Did Lowesmoor  Basin to Hopwood House in a day on my own so I must have been doing something right.

Next day was Long Itchington @ditchcrawler helped me up the last few

Day after that was Stoke Bruene 

Day after that was Marsworth.

Is it a rare unsigned first edition ?

You had to be there!

Unsigned, 2004 edition, The original 1997 edition had some mistakes in it.

Just now, Tracy D'arth said:

Unsigned, 2004 edition, The original 1997 edition had some mistakes in it.

I'm afraid mine is a rare unsigned first edition.

For those that don't know Chris signed so many if the original run  it was rare to find an unsigned one.

Trad stern with a nice rounded counter, get to stand in the doors for a bit of protection from the weather and accidentally falling off the stern.  The rounded stern has less chance of catching on a cill in a lock when single handing and someone distracts you.

• Greenie 1

Just now, Rob-M said:

Trad stern with a nice rounded counter, get to stand in the doors for a bit of protection from the weather and accidentally falling off the stern.  The rounded stern has less chance of catching on a cill in a lock when single handing and someone distracts you.

Also springs off better I understand, never tried it with a square stern 

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Trad stern for me any day of the week, I've moved multiples of all types in all seasons, and trad wins. Cruiser stern on a cold winters wet and windy day is not a spot to be enjoyed.

And do you use the roof?

Just now, Captain Pegg said:

And do you use the roof?

Most of the time historically, I also carry valuable cargo up there.

20230520_194931.jpg

21 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

And do you use the roof?

Actually, moving Baldock up the Grand Onion, I tended to leave the nose in the gates, walk up the front tug deck and climb the rest of the way up the locks, it was far more efficient.

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I would go for a trad just so you are steering from inside the hatch, both for weather and safety if you don't need to be sociable on the back.

Or a trad with an oversize hatch if you want to share the stern space with one or two others.

43 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Most of the time historically, I also carry valuable cargo up there.

20230520_194931.jpg

Actually, moving Baldock up the Grand Onion, I tended to leave the nose in the gates, walk up the front tug deck and climb the rest of the way up the locks, it was far more efficient.

Which just goes to show there's lots of different methods for single handing boats.

I'm firmly of the belief that the correct way is the one that the steerer feels most comfortable with, and if they are experienced that will vary according to the boat, the lock, the weather and the steerer's general state of mind and so on.

I do use the roof, particularly to exit the boat when ascending narrow locks as many don't have suitable steps at the tail. Whereas most GU broad locks do have such steps and if you've got a short boat like mine it's a lot easier to step off at the tail with a line than try and stop it alongside and close enough to the ladder.

My RYA training also taught that the gunwales should never be used for access.

And of course all preferred techniques get thrown out the window when you encounter the dreaded tail bridge.

I have never driven one, but a cruiser stern look awkward. 
Im sure they’re quite easy for doing locks and mooring up but sometimes people look so awkward steering and peering over the top, and with having to reach back to use the throttle. 
Dunno, I could be very wrong, just looks awkward. 

Cruiser stern is great for having company (I guess )
But if you’re a miserable git who’s happy falling out with themselves like what I am, then a more traditional stern is better. 

Edited by Goliath
  • Greenie 2

1 minute ago, Goliath said:

I have never driven one, but a cruiser sterns look awkward. 
Im sure they’re quite easy for doing locks and mooring up but sometimes people look so awkward steering and peering over the top, and with having to reach back to use the throttle. 
Dunno, I could be very wrong, just looks awkward. 

Cruiser stern is great for having company (I guess )
But if you’re a miserable git who’s happy falling out with themselves like what I am, then a more traditional stern is better. 

Not sure why they are easier for doing locks and some cruiser sterns are a pain for tying up, particularly if they have the bottom piece of a pram hood around the rails. They have a tendency to get in the way of the dollies, or T-studs as many cruiser sterns seem to have. Much better to have two easily accessible dollies on the back of a trad with no rails to have to lean over to get the lines onto the dollies.