Best Stern for Single Handed

Roper

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, Tigerr said:

I was responding to the OP. Handn’t realised the whole thing had gone bonkers. 

Enjoy your boating. 

I am the OP and was impressed the way my first post was going!

• Happy 2

1 hour ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

Actually gave up with this thread when the boasting started about how much a persons first boat is costing. 

I am not sure its boasting, ian had a clear idea what he wanted in a boat, I because I knew Jonny and Ricky told him they are making good electric boats, the rest is history. As a good boat costsalot and Ian wanted the best and is an electronics engineer I believe, so knows what he is about and dug deep. Fair play to him is what I say

9 hours ago, peterboat said:

I am not sure its boasting, ian had a clear idea what he wanted in a boat, I because I knew Jonny and Ricky told him they are making good electric boats, the rest is history. As a good boat costsalot and Ian wanted the best and is an electronics engineer I believe, so knows what he is about and dug deep. Fair play to him is what I say

It was Tim not Johnathan that built the shell. I think others may see it as some form of boasting also, as has been hinted at with previous posts with “Harry Enfield” remarks

I don’t think being an electrical engineer has a great deal to do with boat design and layout as there’s far nicer(IMO) and more expensive boats being produced for people with absolutely no electrical engineering or any engineering background whatsoever and they’re also not coming on here telling everyone the price. Then again everyone is different.

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth

3 hours ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

It was Tim not Johnathan that built the shell. I think others may see it as some form of boasting also, as has been hinted at with previous posts with “Harry Enfield” remarks

I don’t think being an electrical engineer has a great deal to do with boat design and layout as there’s far nicer(IMO) and more expensive boats being produced for people with absolutely no electrical engineering or any engineering background whatsoever and they’re also not coming on here telling everyone the price. Then again everyone is different.

Jonny is in Sheffield where Finesse is Tim is his Brother in law in Stoke. Its all the same thing, Both Jonny and Tim built my boat, I pop in occasionally to see Jonny and gang, I also say Hi to Ricky, I am looking forward to seeing Ians boat sailing by

1 hour ago, peterboat said:

Jonny is in Sheffield where Finesse is Tim is his Brother in law in Stoke. Its all the same thing, Both Jonny and Tim built my boat, I pop in occasionally to see Jonny and gang, I also say Hi to Ricky, I am looking forward to seeing Ians boat sailing by

Not really, Tim is the main builder for Finesse Narrowboat shells all being built at Tim’s place at Newcastle-under-Lymn, then sent to Sheffield for Finesse to fit out. Jonathan doesn’t do anything to the steelwork once there except maybe weld the anodes on.

5 hours ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

Are you really trying hard to be obnoxious or does it just come naturally?

I've never done any boasting about "my boat is considerably more expensive than yours", I've generally avoided mentioning cost to avoid exactly this accusation from people like you, with two exceptions. The first was a thread last year about cost increases on new boats due to material cost rises where I said this had put the cost up by about £50k so people's ideas about new boat costs were now out of date. The second was to reply to @MtB claiming that the new owner of Time of Life would claim they were happy even if they weren't because they'd spent £250k on it, where I pointed out that this figure was *far* too low since my much smaller/simpler/less lavish electric/hybrid narrowboat from the same boatbuilder cost more than that. Which may horrify people who think that £150k is a lot for a new boat, but that's the reality if you want a boat like this, and are lucky enough to be able to afford it.

I've also said many times that my electric/hybrid boat is an expensive silent-cruising indulgence and my personal choice which won't suit many people, and that I don't consider this makes me in any way better than people with different boats and different needs who don't want to or can't afford to spend this much on what certain people like to call a "rich man's toy". Regardless of what you think about engineers, a great deal of considered thought and discussion has gone into the design because that's what I do for a job, and Ricky was happy to try out new things that he agrees might improve the breed because that's his job. Nothing to do with appearance or fitout or how it looks which you seem to be focusing on, but the nuts and bolts about how the boat actually works because this is a developing field for boats like this -- and if you don't think electrical (or other) engineering is heavily involved in this process, then frankly you don't have a clue... 😞

And I'm still not going to say what the actual cost was, because that's my business (and Ricky's) not yours, which kind of blows your boasting theory out of the water... 😉

20 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

Not really, Tim is the main builder for Finesse Narrowboat shells all being built at Tim’s place at Newcastle-under-Lymn, then sent to Sheffield for Finesse to fit out. Jonathan doesn’t do anything to the steelwork once there except maybe weld the anodes on.

Tim did build the shell, but there are various other cutty/weldy things which need doing to the hull during installation of the boat systems like stern tube installation, welded internal equipment frames, aperture cutting for things like side door windows and ventilation -- a lot more work than just welding the anodes on... 😉

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 1

As I say Jonathan does little to Tim’s shells he’s too busy building his own shells, most of the fixing points and minor welding is mainly done by the guys from the car shed. I’m not really bothered what your boat costs, I know what they roughly cost give or take and people are a gasp when I tell them and I’m not getting into a “War and Peace” post to justify things or argue with you, I’ll leave that to @M_JG Enjoy the weekend and hope the sun is with you when your out on the canals☀️

• Greenie 1

34 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

As I say Jonathan does little to Tim’s shells he’s too busy building his own shells, most of the fixing points and minor welding is mainly done by the guys from the car shed. I’m not really bothered what your boat costs, I know what they roughly cost give or take and people are a gasp when I tell them and I’m not getting into a “War and Peace” post to justify things or argue with you, I’ll leave that to @M_JG Enjoy the weekend and hope the sun is with you when your out on the canals☀️

The sun should certainly be with us this weekend at Chippenham Folk Festival, much music and dancing and beer planned... 🙂

2 hours ago, IanD said:

The sun should certainly be with us this weekend at Chippenham Folk Festival, much music and dancing and beer planned... 🙂

So glad you didn’t say you were going to Crick, Finesse aren’t there either, speaking of which there’s a new “Time of Life” up there, which is big enough for “Time of Life” to fit inside. Anyway have a good weekend on the Melodeon👍

On 22/05/2023 at 17:54, Captain Pegg said:

That shows the point nicely. No room on that counter for a steerer to operate the boat properly and safely in my opinion. @Lily Rose do you have a photo of yours you'd be willing to share?

(I'm aware there's a few photos of mine taken this past weekend now on social media where it's being steered correctly but I'm cleaning the cabin sides from the gunwales while underway 😱).

Spookily, Still Waters went past me about 15 minutes ago. It took a moment to realise why it looked familiar.

As in the photo, he was standing inside the back doors. I tried that myself yesterday, it was easily do-able but not as comfortable as standing just outside the back doors with the tiller just behind my back, my feet positioned more or less at the edge of the 4 inch step down to the engine cover board and my belly very slightly overhanging. I did try it, before setting off, with the doors closed. I could just about do it but could only just swing the tiller behind my back if I sucked my tummy in. Doesn't matter though, can't think why I would ever want to stand outside of the closed back doors.

I didn't get the chance to compare sterns and tillers as he was past me before I realised why it looked familiar.