Best Stern for Single Handed

Roper

Featured Posts

Hello all,

As a long term lurker I think I'm finally ready to take the plunge and purchase a narrowboat despite the inflationary prices - recent events have made me realise life is too short and I've done little with mine to date so an extended time exploring the inland waterways would go someway to restoring the life/work balance.

I'm sure this topic must have been covered previously but a quick search turned up nothing. Could I ask the forum what they would consider the best type of stern for someone single handling.

My initial thought is Semi-Trad as the seats could assist getting onto the roof but glad to be corrected by those with actual experience.

Thank you.

1 minute ago, Rocket Rob said:

My initial thought is Semi-Trad as the seats could assist getting onto the roof but glad to be corrected by those with actual experience.

Have single handed all three types at various times. Do sometimes use the semi-trad seats on my own boat to access the roof, but solar panels make the roof not very useful as a surface, so usually shuffle along the gunwale to reach lock ladders. It would be very low down on my priority list when looking for a boat.

• Greenie 2

1 minute ago, system 4-50 said:

My favourite is a square cruiser stern.  

Can I ask why, and the advantages for someone single handed?

2 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Have single handed all three types at various times. Do sometimes use the semi-trad seats on my own boat to access the roof, but solar panels make the roof not very useful as a surface, so usually shuffle along the gunwale to reach lock ladders. It would be very low down on my priority list when looking for a boat.

Thanks Jen, what would you prioritise for someone single handling?

2 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

Trad stern I prefer, gives a bit more in boat space. Never had a problem getting on the roof using folding foot steps. Also never had that many people on board to justify Semi-Trad seating space, also engine bay not exposed to outside. Get a decent sized well deck up front without a Cratch.

Thank you, that's food for thought

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

I would go for a trad just so you are steering from inside the hatch, both for weather and safety if you don't need to be sociable on the back.

Thanks Brian, that's 2 votes for trad.

4 minutes ago, Rocket Rob said:

Can I ask why, and the advantages for someone single handed?

Thanks Jen, what would you prioritise for someone single handling?

Centre line to a roof point a little ahead of the centre around which the boat pivots for ease of bow hauling. Either one centre line that is easy to flick from side to side, or two centre lines, if not. Long enough to pick up as you step off the boat, but not so long that you risk it wrapping round the prop if dropped. Good anti slip on the gunwales and roof, if used for walking. Easy access, with minimal trip hazards on and off the stern. Most of these are easy to set up on most existing boats. Most boats can be run single handed.

I agree with @ditchcrawler. Trad, especially with a stove by the steering position is great for bad weather days. The working boatpersons of old knew what they were doing.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Centre line to a roof point a little ahead of the centre around which the boat pivots for ease of bow hauling. Either one centre line that is easy to flick from side to side, or two centre lines, if not. Long enough to pick up as you step off the boat, but not so long that you risk it wrapping round the prop if dropped. Good anti slip on the gunwales and roof, if used for walking. Easy access, with minimal trip hazards on and off the stern. Most of these are easy to set up on most existing boats. Most boats can be run single handed.

I agree with @ditchcrawler. Trad, especially with a stove by the steering position is great for bad weather days. The working boatpersons of old knew what they were doing.

OK so a trad maybe requiring some minor mods, thanks.

16 minutes ago, Rocket Rob said:

Hello all,

As a long term lurker I think I'm finally ready to take the plunge and purchase a narrowboat despite the inflationary prices - recent events have made me realise life is too short and I've done little with mine to date so an extended time exploring the inland waterways would go someway to restoring the life/work balance.

I'm sure this topic must have been covered previously but a quick search turned up nothing. Could I ask the forum what they would consider the best type of stern for someone single handling.

Thank you.

I rarely single handed our semi trad but I did use the seats to get on the roof if I needed to.

We haven't had a boat for eight years but when we did boat one thing that I noticed was the majority of single handers we encountered at least had boats with a trad stern. Not very scientific as a survey I accept.

Cruiser sterns and semi trads are more relevant if you have more than one aboard, if you dont most of the time you would be better off prioritising cabin space over outside space.

Just now, peterboat said:

Cruiser for me I am afraid, ease of getting on an off. Also a pram hood can be added for extra room, protection when it's raining and a garage when working on engine

Thanks, maybe should have added that I have a medium sized dog who has previously enjoyed being at the tiller when hiring.

Trad stern for me every time. Loddon has steps front and back makes getting on the roof easy. However I cant remember the last time i climbed on the roof to do a lock, if you need to climb onto the roof then you are doing it wrong. 

• Greenie 2

5 minutes ago, M_JG said:

I rarely single handed our semi trad but I did use the seats to get on the roof if I needed to.

We haven't had a boat for eight years but when we did boat one thing that I noticed was the majority of single handers we encountered at least had boats with a trad stern. Not very scientific as a survey I accept.

Cruiser sterns and semi trads are more relevant if you have more than one aboard, if you dont most of the time you would be better off prioritising cabin space over outside space.

Maybe I need to try and hire a trad and see how me and the dog get on with that though I guess most hires are cruisers sterns.

1 minute ago, Loddon said:

Trad stern for me every time. Loddon has steps front and back makes getting on the roof easy. However I cant remember the last time i climbed on the roof to do a lock, if you need to climb onto the roof then you are doing it wrong. 

More for me to learn! Just dug out Colin Edmondon's Going It Alone booklet I got years ago so will give it a read.

Just now, Rocket Rob said:

Maybe I need to try and hire a trad and see how me and the dog get on with that though I guess most hires are cruisers sterns.

Trads with very wide sliding hatches and more space up top can be had but they are not very common.

(Not sure about hiring one though).

2 minutes ago, M_JG said:

Trads with very wide sliding hatches and more space up top can be had but they are not very common.

(Not sure about hiring one though).

I'll have a look and see if one can be hired. There was also a guy at Calcutt who used to do experience days, think he may have had a trad.

13 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Cruiser for me I am afraid, ease of getting on an off. Also a pram hood can be added for extra room, protection when it's raining and a garage when working on engine

I agree with you on everything except the pram hood (ugly monstrocities that belong on prams, and nowhere else).

Ease of getting on and off, and ease of working on the engine, swing it for me. I'm assumng that a good maintenance regime means you only have to work in the engine 'ole when the sun is shining. 

• Greenie 2

I single--hand our cruiser stern while hubby is inside working during the week. Enjoy the ease of getting on and off but rather dependent on good warm foul weather gear. We only use our pram hood for winter storage and have taken off the cratch for this season's cruising. Not as much storage but nicer to sit out in. Would definitely advise a cratch if you are planning to live aboard. 

Edited by MrsM
Un-autocorrecting 'cratch/catch'
  • Greenie 3

1 minute ago, MrsM said:

I single--hand our cruiser stern while hubby is inside working during the week. Enjoy the ease of getting on and off but rather dependent on good warm foul weather gear. We only use our pram hood for winter storage and have taken off the catch for this season's cruising. Not as much storage but nicer to sit out in. Would definitely advise a catch if you are planning to live aboard. 

Thank you. Seems all types of stern are 'do-able' as a single handling but other considerations need to be prioritised so has been a very worthwhile post for me.