need some advice on how to seal up hole in hull where waterpipe goes out

Featured Posts

hey everyone.

I am working on a boat I just bought. And I am amazed to find that where the water outake pipe leaves the boat through the hull is totally unsealed. There is a gap all around the pipe of about a cenitmeter all the way round! So how would you recomend I go about fixing that and making it water tight? Is there anything like some sort of rubber seal to attach over the hole and feed the pipe through? If so what is it called cos I've been looking for something like that on google and not getting much joy. Or any other ideas or advice very welcome!!

Thank you so much for any help or advice. Hope your all floating happy out there

1 minute ago, squarelips said:

hey everyone.

I am working on a boat I just bought. And I am amazed to find that where the water outake pipe leaves the boat through the hull is totally unsealed. There is a gap all around the pipe of about a cenitmeter all the way round! So how would you recomend I go about fixing that and making it water tight? Is there anything like some sort of rubber seal to attach over the hole and feed the pipe through? If so what is it called cos I've been looking for something like that on google and not getting much joy. Or any other ideas or advice very welcome!!

Thank you so much for any help or advice. Hope your all floating happy out there

image.thumb.png.88420ceea571653b82e16343ab72a0fc.png

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I assume that the OP is talking about the water tank breather, if not, perhaps he could tell us more about it.

I read "water outake pipe" as the waste from the sink etc.

My concerns would be that if something as simple as a water skin-fitting is not there and a pipe simply pushed out thru' the hole - what else is bodged up ?

@squarelips

Did you have the boat surveyed before purchase ?

Edited by Alan de Enfield

7 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I read "water outake pipe" as the waste from the sink etc.

My concerns would be that if something as simple as a water skin-fitting is not there and a pipe simply pushed out thru' the hole - what else is bodged up ?

@squarelips

Did you have the boat surveyed before purchase ?

Which was why I asked for a pic, but it fell on deaf ears.

hey thanks for the replies everyone.

So i am talking about the waste water from the sink.  i dont have a pic and im not on the boat just now. but whoever installed it just cut a hole bigger than the pipe then slotted the pipe through and left it at that. I was a bit shocked in a bad way when i saw it.

And Alan de Enfield you are totally correct in the concern of what else is done as shoddy as that. I only have mentioned the waste water pipe but it does seem every in/out point through the boat is done to a terrible standard and there are some serious leaks coming from the superstructure too. so any help or advice in dealing with making these joins watertight would be brilliant. I just mentioned the water one cos it is the worst.

And the boat belonged to a friend of a friend and he said i could look at the boat and pay him what I think it is worth depending on what condition it is in. So I am not too worreid about finding all this work to do because the more work needing done the less im going to pay for the boat. So its all good. But I appreciate why yous would be concerned for me that I might have been ripped off if that is the standard the work is done to.

Thanks for all your help everyone

10 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

That's ok. I'm just feeling a bit hard done by . No love heart for me <weep>.

Mind you, maybe I have been blocked. I am quite annoying.

ha ha sorry i missed you for a love heart. just keep being interupted by my cat crawling all over my lap top.

3 minutes ago, squarelips said:

So i am talking about the waste water from the sink.  i dont have a pic and im not on the boat just now. but whoever installed it just cut a hole bigger than the pipe then slotted the pipe through and left it at that. I was a bit shocked in a bad way when i saw it.

So, are you talking about solid plastic pipe, or flexible tubing type pipe? Either way, a skin fitting is the best solution. 

Thanks for the heart. I feel much better now.

im talking about a solid plastic waste water pipe, but there is also gas pipes and flexibale pipes and even the outake from the boiler is has a huge gap around it. Its all been done terribly. ha ha but I thgink you are right that i can find skin fittings for each of them. thanks so much. and im glad you liked the heart

1 minute ago, squarelips said:

im talking about a solid plastic waste water pipe, but there is also gas pipes and flexibale pipes and even the outake from the boiler is has a huge gap around it. Its all been done terribly. ha ha but I thgink you are right that i can find skin fittings for each of them. thanks so much. and im glad you liked the heart

Some of these fittings have a barb for hose and clamp. Others are threaded. Mine uses solid plastic pipe pushed straight into the skin fitting, which is probably a bit of a bodge, but seems to work ok without leaking.

59 minutes ago, squarelips said:

even the outake from the boiler is has a huge gap around it.

Sorry, but this is also far from clear. No pipe from the boiler should go through the hull, although a high level vent pipe might or a header tank overflow. You might be talking about a hot "out of boiler" pipe going through an internal bulkhead. If so, you probably have far more important things to sort at the moment.

If it is an instant gas water heater then you might be talking about a small heater drain pipe that was fitted to some better models, so you can drain them for winter, but why that goes through the hull or bulkhead I have no idea. Most don't have such pipes, and most people just drain from a drain plug/screw into a bowl.

You must be struggling to find the right terms, which is why photos are often requested. Don't give up and just keep plugging away and posting.

Edited by Tony Brooks
  • Happy 1

2 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Some of these fittings have a barb for hose and clamp. Others are threaded. Mine uses solid plastic pipe pushed straight into the skin fitting, which is probably a bit of a bodge, but seems to work ok without leaking.

I used skin fittings that have standard BSP threads, which can mate up with standard PVC waste pipe fittings for the kitchen and bathroom sink plug holes. No hoses, or jubilee clips involved. Been very reliable over the years.

• Greenie 1

One piece of information which might be useful in general - what is your boat made of? Question applies to both the hull and the cabin (and are they the same?) and what sort of boat is it? This won't give you definite answers to anything, but it might help guide people giving further advice in future.

Alec

• Greenie 2