Featured Posts

Hi all 👋, first post on here but probably one of many, I'm currently looking into the heating system I am going to install on my widebeam i was hoping you could take a look and tell me what you think and if it all looks ok. 

(Heating sorce: Solid fuel fire and diesel water heater

Heating up - radiators, under floor heating and hot water)

I am thinking of installing the bubble b1c1 corner stove with back boiler, also what are peoples thoughts on the Prity AM 12 ( https://fireplacesforhome.com/Wood-Burning-Stove-Corner-Model-Fireplace-Log-Burner-Solid-Fuel-Prity-AM-12kw ) multifuel stove? And also a webasto diesel water heater. All my heating appliances are going to run to the NRG zone 5 manifold wich does allow thermosyphon , I plan to have 4x radiators, underfloor heating and calorifier attached.

The diagram is missing the PRV and the pipes from the back boiler to the heating manifold will be in 28mm.

My biggest worry is the thermosyphon safety as it is going to run to the heating manifold so i dont have any heat leak.

Any input would be appreciated.

Kind regards 

Brad

I've linked the NRG zone let me know what you think to using this as I can't see any post speaking about this or any manifold.

https://www.nrgawareness.com/product/nrg-zone-4-5-6-32-32-28/

Screenshot_20230518-213742_Gallery.jpg

Edited by bradwilko

Unless your widebeam is completely open plan a 12kw stove is total overkill!

We had a 60x12 barge with 3 separate sources of heat. 6kw stove, mikuni and a 2kw oil stove.

Look on it as redundancy.

We did have two failures one winter, Stove glass cracked and Mikuni failed left us with the oil stove which heated the back half of the boat which was where we lived until i fixed it.

Above all don't overcomplicate it because it will go wrong at sometime

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Mica degrades but doesn't completely break like glass does.

Oh yes it does that was the cause of the stove failure. 

I said glass cos it was easier

Ah. I've had mica and glass. One of the current fires has mica. It does crack up but gives a lot warning rather than just breaking into pieces like glass.

Which reminds me. New mica needed for next winter.

7 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Unless your widebeam is completely open plan a 12kw stove is total overkill!

Yes it is overkill the bubble b1c1 is 4kw, I was more curious into the Prity AM build quality if anyone has ever used one.

10 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I prefer the fire itself to firstly not have a boiler and secondly to not have glass.

The back boiler is quite high up on my list, going from a narrowboat the rooms heated up easily when the fire was in but with the widebeam having segregated rooms to heat it up without cold spots I'm going to need to run the radiators or UFH and don't want to be running the diesel heater too much as I want to keep running costs down.

Even if they can be a hassle sometimes.

34 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Seems needlessly complicated, with an expensive gizmo to boot.

Will need to be pumped - thermosyphon cannot work with underfloor heating unless you put the boiler in the basement.

I added the NRG zone so that just the back boiler is thermosyphon and the rest of the system ie the radiators, UFH, and hot water are pumped when needed (would this still be the case that i wouldnt be possible?), the UFH will be the main heat source any suggestions on what you would change to make it less complicated.

Fair enough. I lived on a 58x12ft barge for a decade with a fire without a boiler but yes there were some cold spots and we had mains electric and gas for hot water.

You'll need to burn an awful lot of coal.

Be careful making it too complicated. This is why I like fires without boilers because if it actually is really cold and things stop working properly you do need the fire to be working.

Having said that I also had a narrow boat in which I installed a Rayburn with a basic 28mm thermosyphon system with 3 rads and hot water and it never caused any problems.

Your setup looks too complex to me  but it might work.

ETA I see the fire is  diesel stove not a solid fuel version.

Missed that initially.