plumber near Stoke on Trent?

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, squid said:

Hi, I have a problem with a leaking water tank and possibly a problem with the water pump. Can anyone recommend someone to look at it? I'm on the Trent and Mersey near Stoke on Trent, heading south.

The trouble with boats is you really need to fix stuff like this yourself. If you employ people, they may well turn out to be utter muppets or worse. In fact they probably will but you may get lucky.

Better to develop the skills necessary yourself. Loads of help is available on here. Can you describe the water pump problem perhaps? And post a photo of the water tank leak? 

Try asking at Stone, maybe?

Meanwhile turn your water off and your pump.

And perhaps just use when desperate.

Yesterday I lost a full tank of water

A joint had come free and the pump just pumped the lot into the bottom of the boat.
Didnt know it were happening because I was driving the boat. 
Was Simple to fix but a right pain having to pump out the bilge.

But hey..

Describe your problems and someone here may be able to help.

Edited by Goliath

Thanks. I can't get at the tank enough to post a picture! But the last couple of times I filled up, I found water in the bilge. Today I just filled up a little bit while trying to feel around the bottom of the tank, and stopped filling up when I could feel water underneath. I'm a bit worried I'll find more water in the next few days as this tank hasn't lasted long. The tank is under the bed and insulated so quite hard to get at to precisely locate a leak (I was looking in the wrong place for a long time), and I have no idea if it's a better idea to try and patch it up myself (or with what?) or get it replaced.

The pump had been going when it wasn't in use maybe once/twice a day that I could hear, which I've been told is an indication of a leak somewhere. Then yesterday, it started going off continually and I have no idea why so I've turned it off.

Would be great to hear anyone's suggestions/advice!

Edited by squid
clarity

7 minutes ago, squid said:

Would be great to hear anyone's suggestions/advice!

Get a different boat! 

No but seriously, this is typical of the problems one gets with boats and your inventiveness and resourcefulness is being challenged. 

The pump running twice a day *could* just be back flow through the non-return valve. Or yes it could be a leak ANYWHERE on the domestic water system. Got any dripping taps perhaps? If not, find and inspect every inch of water pipe. This is what any plumber you employ would have to do anyway, but at your expense. 

Re the tank, same applies. Expose and inspect every inch of it. Or abandon it and fit a new one. 

No plumber will be able to sort the tank if even you cannot get at it.  You will pay a king's ransom for a "plumber" to explore your boat until he finds the leak. And if it is the tank he will have no idea how to fix it.

Do yourself a favour and find the leak yourself rather than pay someone to tear the boat apart and charge you.

• Greenie 1

16 hours ago, Goliath said:

[...]

Yesterday I lost a full tank of water

A joint had come free and the pump just pumped the lot into the bottom of the boat.
Didnt know it were happening because I was driving the boat. 
Was Simple to fix but a right pain having to pump out the bilge.

But hey..

Describe your problems and someone here may be able to help.

That's one advantage of fitting your own pipework - at least you know the joints are done right. Good news is the current mild and dry weather will dry out those bilges of yours nicely.

Not like the unfortunate boater moored on the permanent moorings at Bosley top lock, who lost a tank into his boat in December last year. Four days of freeze had just ended in a thaw when he returned to it.

I've had a few parsnips and carrots in my bilge, but so far no leeks. Or leaks. I have these as a first alert...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Topvico-Flood-Sensor-Detector-Security/dp/B07311Z536/

1 hour ago, Puffling said:

That's one advantage of fitting your own pipework - at least you know the joints are done right. Good news is the current mild and dry weather will dry out those bilges of yours nicely.

Not like the unfortunate boater moored on the permanent moorings at Bosley top lock, who lost a tank into his boat in December last year. Four days of freeze had just ended in a thaw when he returned to it.

I've had a few parsnips and carrots in my bilge, but so far no leeks. Or leaks. I have these as a first alert...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Topvico-Flood-Sensor-Detector-Security/dp/B07311Z536/

OK, so I think I have narrowed the leak down to one end of the tank and assume it's going to be one of the welded edges. Someone I chatted to at a boatyard said I'm likely to need to replace the whole tank. I have optimistically gone over the edges I could reach with waterproof gorilla tape but think that is going to be a temporary mend at best. Does anyone here have experience or advice for fixing such a leak or am I more likely to hae to replace the whole tank? Would getting someone to reweld it be cheaper than buying a new tank? I've also noticed the lank is just sitting on little bits of styrofoam on the base plate, is that OK or should it be sitting higher up?

39 minutes ago, squid said:

OK, so I think I have narrowed the leak down to one end of the tank and assume it's going to be one of the welded edges. Someone I chatted to at a boatyard said I'm likely to need to replace the whole tank. I have optimistically gone over the edges I could reach with waterproof gorilla tape but think that is going to be a temporary mend at best. Does anyone here have experience or advice for fixing such a leak or am I more likely to hae to replace the whole tank? Would getting someone to reweld it be cheaper than buying a new tank? I've also noticed the lank is just sitting on little bits of styrofoam on the base plate, is that OK or should it be sitting higher up?

Is it stainless steel?

I've seen similar on S/Steel tanks. The problem will be that will be very thin and welding is very hit and miss on old tanks. Another thing to check is that there is sufficient ventilation toin the tank and that it is not blocked. Such a blockage can cause flexing and weaken the tank.

I fixed a leak coming from the stainless steel tank and it turned out to be the rubber hose inlet pipe was loose. One of the jubilee clips just needed tightening. Could see the stain line down the side of the tank. Had to drill an 80mm access hole in the side of a kitchen base unit. Reverse layout. I felt great to find it!! Charged him £40.

James. 

• 1 month later...

Hi, me and my tank again. I've now uncovered the tank and watched it filling up, and the leak appears to be in the most inconvenient place, on one of the bottom edges of the tank. It's a stainless steel tank, I don't know how old it is but the boat is 25 years old.

So I'm going to have to get the tank out whatever. I'm wondering if I should:

- try a DIY mend with CT1 or similar sealant

- get someone to weld that edge

- or get a new tank

I'm now on the K&A, any advice or recommendations for welders or where to get a new tank gratefully received, thanks!