Gas locker

Featured Posts

Just now, Owls Den said:

Hello folks,

Can I put a padlock on a gas locker, or will that be breaking a regulation?

TIA

I think it will break the BSS requirements and if the worse happened in a fire the locked ocker could result in an explosion.

You can chain the cylinders together with a chain and padlock. That would stop a casual tea-leaf without cutting equipment.

• Greenie 2

I don't think you're supposed to but I do when I go away. Gas bottles are off in the locker and I figure it would take the fire service about 2 seconds to remove the padlock if they needed to for any reason. 

When I'm on the boat the locker is unlocked.

Just now, Tony Brooks said:

You can chain the cylinders together with a chain and padlock. That would stop a casual tea-leaf without cutting equipment.

Yes I've never really understood what the difference is between chaining the bottles inside the locker and locking the lid. Either way they can't be removed without cutting equipment. Cutting a padlock on the outside of a locker is probably easier than cutting a chain inside a locker.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Owls Den said:

Hello folks,

Can I put a padlock on a gas locker, or will that be breaking a regulation?

TIA

Yes to both.

Mind you, should the fire brigade attend I can't imagine them f-ing about looking for a padlock key. They will bust it open within a few seconds of finding it locked. 

3 hours ago, blackrose said:

I don't think you're supposed to but I do when I go away. Gas bottles are off in the locker and I figure it would take the fire service about 2 seconds to remove the padlock if they needed to for any reason. 

When I'm on the boat the locker is unlocked.

Yes I've never really understood what the difference is between chaining the bottles inside the locker and locking the lid. Either way they can't be removed without cutting equipment. Cutting a padlock on the outside of a locker is probably easier than cutting a chain inside a locker.

To me, the difference doesn't have anything to do with fire brigades etc.  The difference is "I can smell gas turn the cylinders off" somebody dashes out up with the lid and off with the gas.   Compared to "wheres the key?   I put it at X.  No its not there etc etc".

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, Jerra said:

To me, the difference doesn't have anything to do with fire brigades etc.  The difference is "I can smell gas turn the cylinders off" somebody dashes out up with the lid and off with the gas.   Compared to "wheres the key?   I put it at X.  No its not there etc etc".

Bit like a padlock on the back door when you are asleep on the boat with a fire in the front

12 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Bit like a padlock on the back door when you are asleep on the boat with a fire in the front

Depends on the design🤔

There is often a padlock on my slide but I can still open the doors from the inside😉