water pressure issues (but only cold)

Featured Posts

Hi all,

We have had some issues with our water pump/ morco boiler/ shower in producing enough pressure to have a shower comfortably. the pressure is at around 2bar if i remember correctly I dont know the flow rate of the pump the accumulator is set at 1 bar as I was advised to set the accumulator at half the pressure of the pump. the issue in the shower is that when the temp is set to 38 water flows for  amater of seconds and then the only way to get water from the shower is to have the temperature at full whack. I have  afeeling that a stronger pump would help but is there anything I am missing?

Thanks

This may need clarifying. On the face of it saying "the issue in the shower is that when the temp is set to 38 water flows for a mater of seconds and then the only way to get water from the shower is to have the temperature at full whack" makes it sound as if the water flows, the pressure drops, but the pump won't cut back in, but I don't think that is what you mean.

Dodgy thermostatic shower mixer closing off the water when it gets to temperature so the only way to get any water is to set the temperature gauge hotter than the water, or at full so it can not close. Is water from the cold supply getting to it. Some mixers have a fine gauze strainer on the inlet unions, remove the mixer and check for blockages. While the mixer is off put it full cold setting and try to blow air, flush water through from a hose and then the same for full hot setting. Then repeat the process and blow / flush backwards from the shower hose connection.

Edited by PeterF

2 minutes ago, PeterF said:

Dodgy thermostatic mixer closing off the water when it gets to temperature so the only way to get any water is to set the temperature gauge hotter than the water, or at full so it can not close. Is water from the cold supply getting to it. Some mixers have a fine gauze strainer on the inlet unions, remove the mixer and check for blockages. While the mixer is off put it full cold setting and try to blow air, flush water through from a hose and then the same for full hot setting. Then repeat the process and blow / flush backwards from the shower hose connection.

But this is a Morco which I take to be an instant gas water heater, so a mixing valve is unlikely because on many the temperature is set on the boiler. Usually by adjusting the flow rate. maybe modern versions of such heaters do have some form of mixing or thermostatic gas control, but I doubt it. If temperature is set on the boiler, then turning it up would reduce the flow rate rather than increase it. I accept this may be a thermostatic shower mixer control, and if so I agree it is probably suspect.

thanks for the help, It is a new shower with  the same problem as the old one. i had previously blown through the pipes and checked all gauze in the shower. I will remove and follow the processes again.

54 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

This may need clarifying. On the face of it saying "the issue in the shower is that when the temp is set to 38 water flows for a mater of seconds and then the only way to get water from the shower is to have the temperature at full whack" makes it sound as if the water flows, the pressure drops, but the pump won't cut back in, but I don't think that is what you mean.

the pump kicks in as supposed to but never gets back to original pressure to when the tap is opened at the start.

Thanks, that and the other part of your reply suggest that it may well be a pump supply VOLUME problem (not pressure, because when given a chance it can pump the accumulator up to the cut-out pressure). I suspect one of: the main cold supply from tank valve is not turned fully on, the strainer on the pump inlet is blocked, the outlet pipe on the tank is partially blocked (often rust), or for some reason some of the individual pumping chambers in the pump have packed up - possibly leaking valves.

Thermostatic regulated showers don't work well with instant gas heaters.

A straight mixer shower works better as you can regulate the temperature on the heater.

DAMHIKT

Edited by Loddon

If you have already cleaned and checked the shower mixer and replaced it and it still does the same I am with Tony that you have a restriction elsewhere in your system. The other area for a restriction is in the shower hose and spray head, especially if you are in a hard water area, the nozzles cab block.

A shower with a TRV in it will slow down the delivery if the hot water if the temperature of the water is above the required. As the heater is a simple device this reduces the flow through the heater which can cause the temperature to rise. Thus causing the thermostatic mixer to reduce the flow further.

if the setting on the thermostatic mixer is above the water temperature coming from the heater then it isn't so much of a problem.

solution is to get a mixer that is not a thermostatic one, you will soon learn where to set the lever and to shout at anyone who uses a tap when you are in the shower🤔