Adderley lock 4 top gate

Philip

Featured Posts

This is a long shot but I was wondering if anyone can remember the current Adderley lock 4 top gate being fitted or if anyone knows when it dates from? I know from old photos that it was the same gate in 2000 as now but don't know more than that.

There are a few subtle curious features; it doesn't have a date plaque or evidence of where one used to be. There are some other finer curious details but perhaps a bit too anorakish to go into them!

17 hours ago, Philip said:

perhaps a bit too anorakish to go into them!

I think you seriously underestimate the anorak quotient on this forum!

Go on, post a picture, you know you want to :D 

17 hours ago, Heartland said:

This was the top lock in 1997

863120.jpg

There were some interesting top gate arrangements on this flight, which I presume still remain

863181.jpg

And as if to make my point - lower picture: three sets of Northwich paddle gear - the gate foot board is mounted high enough to go over the lock wall which means there is no recess for it, and it is offset from the gate to allow the paddle spindle through. Note the small recess on the opposite wall which dates back to when the lock had double top gates. 

On the top picture note two ladders on the same side of the lock. As a general rule narrow locks only have one ladder and where to ladders are provided they are on opposite sides. 

Edited to add, I've just noticed an extra paddle on the non-towpath side - not a Northwich Paddle so perhaps original?

Now, where did I leave my anorak... 

1 hour ago, magpie patrick said:

And as if to make my point - lower picture: three sets of Northwich paddle gear - the gate foot board is mounted high enough to go over the lock wall which means there is no recess for it, and it is offset from the gate to allow the paddle spindle through. Note the small recess on the opposite wall which dates back to when the lock had double top gates. 

On the top picture note two ladders on the same side of the lock. As a general rule narrow locks only have one ladder and where to ladders are provided they are on opposite sides. 

Edited to add, I've just noticed an extra paddle on the non-towpath side - not a Northwich Paddle so perhaps original?

Here's one...one slightly unusual feature is the rectangular cut-out bit of the balance beam, to the right of the gate paddle; it has a separate piece of wood or metal bolted into the wood. I don't know its purpose and I haven't seen this presently on other wooden gates along this stretch but old photos show quite a few narrow SU top lock gates had it, between around the 50s-90s.

I think this lock also has a bigger middle paddle sluice than the others as the spray enters more directly, and from memory it didn't have a gate paddle in the 90s but one was fitted around late 90s/2000 - the listed status usually prevents this from happening. Just makes me wonder if it's a very old gate that has lasted well, albeit in a tatty state now.

image.png.ba94a4bb0dab8b6834f69abbc1fd1d54.png

Edited by Philip

50 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Isn't that just a metal bracket supporting the footboard?

I think you're right. It only seems to be on this gate though, looking at photos, but was more common years ago which makes me wonder how old the gate is.

1 hour ago, Heartland said:

This is a 1966 view from bridge 76 from the RCHS Collection

ES6284.jpg

Thanks for this, may I ask which part of the RCHS collection this is in please? I had a look at the website and the B&LJ bit of the Shropshire Union but couldn't find this photo?

Edited by Philip

On 17/05/2023 at 11:56, magpie patrick said:

The extra paddle allows them to run water through the bye-wash. Its locked up so it can't be played with.