Engine Bilge painting

Featured Posts

I’m going to have another go at painting my engine bay. Last time I don’t think I did enough preparation and de rusting.

I’ve got some damboline bilge paint. 
Im going to de rust and clean and have some vatacn rust treatment when I’m done. 

what’s the best undercoat if needed to use with danboline?

When I had the engine on Helvetia removed for re-building, I de-reased the engine bilge very thoroughly, sanded it, and painted it with two generous coats of Finnigans Smoothright, which has been re-branded as Hammerite Smooth.  The result was excellent, easy to clean, and with no rust after ten years.

Danboline is excellent for bilges. If you ring International Paints for advice their Technical man used to be excellent with a lot of practical experience. I have asked his advice on several occasions and he was always knowledgable and helpful. You don’t just get the feeling he is reading the Technical Data Sheet back to you. Good luck it’s not a nice job!

12 minutes ago, Peugeot 106 said:

Danboline is excellent for bilges. If you ring International Paints for advice their Technical man used to be excellent with a lot of practical experience. I have asked his advice on several occasions and he was always knowledgable and helpful. You don’t just get the feeling he is reading the Technical Data Sheet back to you. Good luck it’s not a nice job!

I had the same experience when I phoned Finnigand(Hammerite) for advice about the resistance of Smootrite to heat and oil.

27 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

I had the same experience when I phoned Finnigand(Hammerite) for advice about the resistance of Smootrite to heat and oil.

I’ll put a plug in for SML as well. Their Technical Help man is also excellent. In this day and age it’s good to know who knows what they are talking about!