Help me fix this . . .

Featured Posts

On 15/05/2023 at 21:18, EnglishRose said:

We had a sort of wooden door knob sort of thing on the accelerator handle and it's fallen off. 

I think the first sentence in this thread is probably a clue here. 

This was not original equipment and those threaded parts are wooden. 

i.e. a bodge when the original handle came off. 

Original handle part being like this :

IMG_20230519_133536.jpg.4dab0bc1d5edf0c20e13a3e56002181b.jpg

You can see the part below which would locate into the hole while the rest of the rubber grip sits over the top of the lever. Rubber will have perished in the sun. 

2 hours ago, magnetman said:

You can see the part below which would locate into the hole while the rest of the rubber grip sits over the top of the lever. Rubber will have perished in the sun. 

Sun? 

Ah yes, I think I can remember that....

Edited by MtB

The OP Boat is from 1991. That is 32 yars ago! My boat with outside controls has a morse lever with a rubber top on it and is showing signs of deterioration and it is 5 yars newer. 

The old part will have crumbled. I'm sure somewhere there are replacements but no idea where. 

It seems that Lewmar took over the whitlock brand at some stage so they might have the item in an obsure drawer. 

Or A-A-Arkwrights might have it but not sure if they are open all hours these days. 

Edited by magnetman

4 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Yeah, I know what it is. I was questioning the spelling incase anyone else didn't know what you were referring to.

Nut Insert

Shortened to 

Nutsert

Right, so my other half just told me they have the knobs that fell off! Pics attached. The thread is actually metal once I had scraped off what I thought was wood is actually just glue, likely the glue that secured the knobs in the first place! 

The thread seems pretty impossible to get out and is very secure. It has like a small washer either side too.

20230519_175843.thumb.JPG.5e2a4895b6e49e22b53173bcc47fd330.JPG

20230519_175548.thumb.JPG.45c63bc860ed37e71ee07989b4fa368e.JPG

And this is what they looked like on (obviously I'm just placing them on for this pic as they aren't very secure)

20230519_175522.thumb.JPG.a20b2a05c61de5460c0bc7f6e74d8e19.JPG

Better pic of the thread which is metal not wood.

20230519_175457.thumb.JPG.6bbb4ecc3ac19cda4e6cf403d96e9c16.JPG

And the throttle handle is some kind of metal.

• Greenie 1

52 minutes ago, EnglishRose said:

Right, so my other half just told me they have the knobs that fell off! Pics attached. The thread is actually metal once I had scraped off what I thought was wood is actually just glue, likely the glue that secured the knobs in the first place! 

The thread seems pretty impossible to get out and is very secure. It has like a small washer either side too.

20230519_175843.thumb.JPG.5e2a4895b6e49e22b53173bcc47fd330.JPG

20230519_175548.thumb.JPG.45c63bc860ed37e71ee07989b4fa368e.JPG

And this is what they looked like on (obviously I'm just placing them on for this pic as they aren't very secure)

Better pic of the thread which is metal not wood.

20230519_175457.thumb.JPG.6bbb4ecc3ac19cda4e6cf403d96e9c16.JPG

And the throttle handle is some kind of metal.

The handle is almost certainly a light aluminium alloy, it may have a high zinc content, but that is of no concern to you.

It looks as if one of the "stubs" is bent. Have you tried to unscrew it from the handle, in case it is screwed into a nut cast into the handle.

If that stub is bent, then cutting the stubs off and drilling the handle, so you can hold whatever you want to use as a knob/knobs with a long nut and bolt. This at least will help keep whatever you use looking square and neat.

10 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

It looks as if one of the "stubs" is bent. Have you tried to unscrew it from the handle, in case it is screwed into a nut cast into the handle.

If that stub is bent, then cutting the stubs off and drilling the handle, so you can hold whatever you want to use as a knob/knobs with a long nut and bolt. This at least will help keep whatever you use looking square and neat.

Unfortunately impossible to unscrew it. Looks like hacksaw is the only option and cut it off and then drill it.

Just now, EnglishRose said:

Unfortunately impossible to unscrew it. Looks like hacksaw is the only option and cut it off and then drill it.

As I suspected, cast into the lever during manufacture.

If an ordinary hacksaw blade cuts it, then it should drill OK. If the ordinary hacksaw seems to polish it rater than cutting, then it has been hardened, so you need cobalt hacksaw blades and drills. I got mine from Toolstation

Mix a handful of car body filler. Pick it up with a plastic glove and mould it onto the top of the lever into a hand shaped knob. Let it cure, it will get warm, let go and remove the glove.  Sand it a bit to smooth it and you have a custom knob that fits your hand perfectly. Dab of paint, done.

Edited by Tracy D'arth
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, EnglishRose said:

Those are just ordinary wooden door knobs from a DIY or hardware store, which have presumably replaced the original handle. I think I would be tempted just to glue them, or something similar, back on the existing thread stubs. I would take the opportunity while they are off to give them a good sanding down and repaint first.

• Greenie 1

FWIW. I think that originally the handle on the control looked more like this one.

Top Mount Sealux Marine Lever Control

Ignore the fact that the illustration has a very different body. So whoever posted the side handle from a drill is not so far out apart from size.

I think that I can remember controls like the OP's with a dark wood piece on either side where the wooden parts looked more like half a large duffel coat toggle like this:

I would have thought cut in half and drilled would give a far nicer job than those two wooden door knobs.

• Greenie 1

15 hours ago, EnglishRose said:

That's it! Doesn't look half bad. His father in law made it.

To make it more comfortable to gggrip, I'd wrap string round and round it until it's flush or a little proud all over. The string can be varnished or painted over.