Help me fix this . . .

Featured Posts

It is a bit awkward to deal with that.

Could you cut a slot in a tennis ball and force it over the top?

Might make it easier to handle.

Other option would be to get the wooden bits off and put a large diameter bolt through it to get a T bar effect.

If there were tools available I would drill and tap from above and put a small stud in the hole. Then screw a threaded ball onto the stud.

• Greenie 1

Actually, I think it was two knobs, one on each side.  I think that is a thread on the sticky out bits, but not a normal one.

I would wire brush both threads, measure the lower diameter, cut a length of broom handle and drill a hole very slightly larger than the size measured in one end and then push hard while screwing it onto the thread. If it doesn't go on then drill out 0.5mm larger and try again until it does. Then remove, varnish and refit with epoxy or polyurethane glue. repeat for the other side.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Actually, I think it was two knobs, one on each side.  I think that is a thread on the sticky out bits, but not a normal one.

Yes you are right there was two knobs, one on each side not too dissimilar to one you'd find on a kitchen cupboard or similar.

14 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That'd look nice.

That's what our's look like :

Versatility-35-13 Throttles.jpg

Funny you should mention the morse controls. 

These are just behind me 

IMG_20230515_215250.thumb.jpg.344d7f42fd51701853baa771dde45e5b.jpg

Certainly the best ones they did. I've had others but the chrome is to die for in a wheelhouse. 

Edited by magnetman

I wondered if it was one of these ones. Not a google Lens AI search.

0148170_r2_DIS08ig.jpg

The plastic part will probably degrade over time so one would hope it was a replaceable part.

Not sure it is though.

https://www.compass24.com/motor/piloting/switching-systems/189017/single-lever-remote-engine-control?sPartner=google_products_com&number=148171_8&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=freeshopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5uCb1pz4_gIVw4VoCR3RBwtCEAQYByABEgIrTPD_BwE

• Greenie 1

9 hours ago, MtB said:

I think fixing them to the lever will be a problem unless they have an internal thread that matches the horizontal stubs. If so, the base would need removing.

• Greenie 1

Saw the inner stub off.  Drill out the remains in the handle with  an 8mm drill.  Work up in sizes from 3mm if needed. Saw off any remaining outer stub.

Find a knob on the web with an M8 internal thread.  The old style round ball for a Morso Squirrel stove, for example, but there are others.  Have a look at the MSC Big Book for a selection of knobs.  Others at 

https://www.sinclair-rush.co.uk/categories/handles-handwheels/ball-knobs/?id=49202&gclid=CjwKCAjw04yjBhApEiwAJcvNoaftZ7mqgprnK762QKG2Oak-_4OJODS27duJe8u1MAcjhAVumeAaFhoC4hQQAvD_BwE

Bolt new  knob to lever.  You could even have one either side with a bit of M8 studding in between.

Jobsaguddun.

N

Edited by BEngo
Add linky.
  • Greenie 2

Another approach would be get the bits out of the hole then find the correct size fully threaded bolt for the hole, buy a bolt about 4 inches long and also buy a piece of plastic tube the right size to slip over the bolt. Fix the bolt with a  locking nut so that the threads stick out one side, slip the tube over the rest of the bolt leaving enough space to put another locking nut on the end.

• Greenie 1

Lurk around a golf course and nick a couple of golf balls. Drill holes in em a tight fit on those studs and glue em on, Gorilla glue is pretty powerful. Or visit a fair ground and a coconut shy, have a go and if you knock a coconut off, refuse it and demand two of the wooden balls instead. Fix on same as per the golf balls.

• Greenie 3

4 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Even allowing for recent ramping inflation, I think you are paying too much for your chips.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Yes there probably is a reason but nobody knows what it is!

Ebay links generally still work if you truncate them by deleting everything after the question mark. Like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264311284330?

On 15/05/2023 at 22:05, magnetman said:

I wondered if it was one of these ones. Not a google Lens AI search.

0148170_r2_DIS08ig.jpg

The plastic part will probably degrade over time so one would hope it was a replaceable part.

Not sure it is though.

https://www.compass24.com/motor/piloting/switching-systems/189017/single-lever-remote-engine-control?sPartner=google_products_com&number=148171_8&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=freeshopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5uCb1pz4_gIVw4VoCR3RBwtCEAQYByABEgIrTPD_BwE

Thanks for all the responses. We have been doing some research.

@magnetman That looks similar but is horizontal rather than vertical fitting (and I presume that makes a difference as the throttle would be in neutral pointing permanently to the right )!

This is ours (which isn't in great condition) and the throttle above that label.

IMG-20230516-WA0005.jpg.d51009a1828072375368a6a4501c28cf.jpg

After a lot of emails we also have been suggested that we can get a replacement lever here https://shop.chastheboat.co.uk/products/replacement-control-for-tx172103-lever-only-bbtx007380?variant=31792790241338&sfdr_ptcid=40016_100_647032003&sfdr_hash=770fcf66da59c9fa78aace2035ddd1fc&gclid=CjwKCAjw9pGjBhB-EiwAa5jl3ICttY72mdrUUbpeahjkkKupUmO0jFcVD_hwfbb46LMBOb8H58QZKhoCo5cQAvD_BwE and the company said replacement like for like should be ok as "it's on a spline with a grub screw keeping it in place".

I don't know whether just to order the lever or something like @magnetman suggested and get the whole new thing now as it's looking a bit knackered.

Other half says if we are going to replace it properly may as well now. The wooden ball knobs would be far cheaper though!