Black Prince Water Tank

Al Wilson

Featured Posts

Hi, we have just purchased our first narrowboat, it's a 1989, 56' ex Black Prince, with the big windows in the saloon. I'm hoping someone may be able to help us work out where we put in fresh water.
Everyone tells me the inlet is at the front, but I can't find anything!
There are two inlets half way down the left side (looking forward), the second one has a brass label that says "pump out", the first has no label.
There is an inlet on the right side of the boat toward the rear of the boat, it has a brass label, but on the label are symbols that I can't make out, potentially another pump out?
Under the double bed are two tanks, the one closest to the wall is steel, the other is stainless steel. I think there is another tank under what would have been the right side bed as you get on the boat.
Any suggestions would be very useful! thank you

16 minutes ago, Al Wilson said:

There are two inlets half way down the left side (looking forward), the second one has a brass label that says "pump out", the first has no label.

If both are fairly close together and one is much smaller than the other, then the small one is probably for the rinse hose for the holding tank.

Yes, they are next to each other, I think you are correct.

Having read a few forums, it appears that Black Prince narrowboats had two tanks side by side for "waste" . Once one was full the "waste" would flow over into the other tank apparently.

When we recently bought our narrowboat "Rose", the pump out toilet had been removed, so these are now redundant and I may remove them in the future.

Seems odd though, to have one tank steel and the other Stainless steel, perhaps one was replaced in the past?

Anyway, that's a different subject, back to; where is the filler for fresh water?

13 minutes ago, Al Wilson said:

Yes, they are next to each other, I think you are correct.

Having read a few forums, it appears that Black Prince narrowboats had two tanks side by side for "waste" . Once one was full the "waste" would flow over into the other tank apparently.

When we recently bought our narrowboat "Rose", the pump out toilet had been removed, so these are now redundant and I may remove them in the future.

Seems odd though, to have one tank steel and the other Stainless steel, perhaps one was replaced in the past?

Anyway, that's a different subject, back to; where is the filler for fresh water?

Maybe the previous  owner put a stainless steel water tank in where the pumpout tank was removed from. Boats get modified, I take it you didnt buy it from the hire company 

6 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Maybe the previous  owner put a stainless steel water tank in where the pumpout tank was removed from. Boats get modified, I take it you didnt buy it from the hire company 

I think he meant the tanks are still in place (he plans to remove them later) and was just referring to the fact the toilet had been removed.

Simplest thing would be to go to your sink tap and then trace the pipes back to the tank. Once you know which tank, look for the pipes coming off it at the top. Most probably two of them, a filler and a vent/overflow.

29 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I think he meant the tanks are still in place (he plans to remove them later) and was just referring to the fact the toilet had been removed.

I was going by the comment "Seems odd though, to have one tank steel and the other Stainless steel,"

1 hour ago, Al Wilson said:

There should be a strainer between the tank and water pump, but that is not a filter. If there is a filter for the fresh water, it is usually under the sink and feeding a special tap. Once you have looked inside most fresh water filters that have been in use for a while, you may well decide, just like loads of other boaters, to do without one.

41 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

There should be a strainer between the tank and water pump, but that is not a filter. If there is a filter for the fresh water, it is usually under the sink and feeding a special tap. Once you have looked inside most fresh water filters that have been in use for a while, you may well decide, just like loads of other boaters, to do without one.

That will serve me right for skim reading. What a stupid post.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Pie Eater said:

Turn a tap on and follow the sound of running water back to the water tank and then look for the inlet.

This may not work if they've run out of water, they could of course fill the tank and try this method :D 

Hi all, thank you for your suggestions. Clearly since it stopped being part of the Black Prince fleet (a long time ago!), several changes have been made to the boat. There is no evidence or indication that there was ever a water tank at the front of the boat. Having dismantled the bed and followed the pipework through, I've found that the stainless steel tank in the middle of the boat, holds fresh water and is fed from the first inlet on the port side (with no label). The water pump had stopped working and this was one reasons why I wanted to establish which tank held water. Subsequently, having checked the electrics, I've found a remote switch for the water pump which had been turned off! Again, thanks one and all for the advice, much appreciated.

• Greenie 2