Postmans Restaurants?

mark99

Featured Posts

This implies you can chose any post office.

6 minutes ago, MtB said:

This implies you can chose any post office.

or maybe not  Check if there’s Post Restante where you’re going  

image.png.20bd6fc9799e26645de20470746bb2c8.png

8 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

3 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Its up to the post office if they do it

Its always best to check beforehand to see if they will accept it. They are under no obligation to accept it and sometimes may not even be aware of the service. I have yet to find an office that will not do it though.

6 hours ago, reg said:

Its always best to check beforehand to see if they will accept it. They are under no obligation to accept it and sometimes may not even be aware of the service. I have yet to find an office that will not do it though.

Me neither. But it's definitely good to ask first as smaller offices will not like large items. They will also probably be unhappy dealing with your mail over a longer period (say, more than two weeks).

There's a list of regularly used Postes Restante on the Boatmail site, but beware: it's out of date and some offices are closed or changed address. DAMHIK.

Edited by Puffling

All good advice.

Can only add that some Post Offices are great with the service while others know nothing about it.

If you have to explain to them what Poste Restante is then walk away. 

I’ve used the service a lot over the years now and it’s really handy.

Just don’t take the piss with it and do check out the Post Office in person if you can.

Proper Post Offices are the best

PO’s at the back of shops not so good, they don’t usually have storage space.

Having said that Brewood’s PO is in the co-op and is great, I guess they have plenty of boaters using it. 
It’s all hit and miss, at least phone if your planning ahead for somewhere. 👍

58 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

There used to be a revolving restaraunt at the top of the post office tower iirc

download.jpeg

There was until they realised they could make more from using the area as an equipment area than they could renting it to Butlin's as a restaurant.

I took Mrs Hound there when it was a restaurant. Excellent food, but it was disconcerting to see your view had changed every time you looked up from your meal. The restaurant revolved so slowly and quietly that you were unaware of it except for the changing view.

• Happy 1

15 minutes ago, cuthound said:

There was until they realised they could make more from using the area as an equipment area than they could renting it to Butlin's as a restaurant.

I took Mrs Hound there when it was a restaurant. Excellent food, but it was disconcerting to see your view had changed every time you looked up from your meal. The restaurant revolved so slowly and quietly that you were unaware of it except for the changing view.

Looks excellent. I would have loved to have eaten there, but alas, I am too young.

You have to be a bit careful with Post Restante. We used to use it a lot when we were cc'ing, and always checked with the post office first. The one at Barlaston said it would be fine, so we passed on the address to our aunt, who wanted to send a birthday card to my hubby. When hubby went to collect it the couple, who had only just taken over the post office, said their postman of many years experience had advised them that they weren't allowed to take Post Restante and could get into trouble.

They sent the card back and it was never seen again. Only a card, nothing of value, but still annoying.

My recollection is that the Post Office Tower's revolving restaurant was closed as a security measure when IRA bombings became a threat in the 1970's. It was thought not to be a good idea to allow  public access to what was then a vital  communicatiions centre, bristling with the microwave antennas that were an essential part of the communications network before fibre optic cables took over. I visited it on an organised visit when an engineering  student  in 1968. We went from top to bottom to see its   communications equipment and were allowed a brief look in the revolving restaurant. It was a foggy November day and you could barely see the ground, so we never experienced the view over London.

43 minutes ago, MtB said:

But was it just the revolting restaurant at the top that rotated? Or was it the whole tower? 

The former I guess...

Otherwise all the wires into it would have got twisted up.

The devastating reason London's BT Tower's iconic revolving restaurant stopping spinning - MyLondon

1 hour ago, MtB said:

But was it just the revolting restaurant at the top that rotated? Or was it the whole tower? 

The former I guess...

Otherwise all the wires into it would have got twisted up.

IIRC it was only the outer ring of the restaurant that rotated, a bit like the outer ring of a giant ball-race -- there was a circular sliding joint in the floor about 20' in from the edge which moved at a couple of inches per second, and all the services (toilets, kitchens, lifts) were in the central core which didn't revolve.

It did make going to and coming back from the toilets interesting after drink had been taken since the entrance could be anywhere, and where you came out wasn't where you went in...

Edited by IanD