Maintenance cover

karanight

Featured Posts

9 hours ago, MtB said:

Unless they can demonstrate user error.

If the OP simply doesn't understand how to use the product, this is not necessarily the fault of the manu.

AND...

If Matty is right and its a Collingwood boat, the OP will have a fight on their hands. Collingwood will have a decade of experience fending off claims from every other customer for perceived manufacturing faults. 

The OP has a flat domestic battery bank it appears to me.

9 hours ago, MtB said:

The question is why?

"CRR" have said its a faulty alternator. 

9 hours ago, MtB said:

Seems unlikely to me to be the boatbuilder's fault.  

Could be as simple as they've left the immersion heater on.

Even if its that the immersion heater was left on and running from the domestic bank, sure it could damage the domestic bank over time if the alternator also didn't work, but would it have irreparably damaged the domestic bank if it had worked okay? Or even damaged them in one discharge? After all, the OP has a report from the "CRR", which is what a claim escalation would use as evidence.

Definitely claimable, but its reasonable to send someone out on Monday.

11 hours ago, Stroudwater1 said:

This ^^ - many boaters will have jump leads and are often more than happy to help out in the sort of situation you were in. do get some decent ones and you never know you could help the next boater in trouble. 

Is your boat brand new or just new to you?  

I would try being firm but polite and maybe chat with the RCR and see if they can contact the boat maker with their findings.

It does sound odd to have an alternator pack in so rapidly? 

It's a new boat

14 hours ago, matty40s said:

The engine, alternator and battery bank should be covered under warranty, so if Collingwood cant fix it over a weekend and ruin your battery bank, then they have to replace those as well.

I like your photos

11 hours ago, MtB said:

Could be as simple as they've left the immersion heater on.

How could leaving the immersion heater on damage the alternator, I would have thought doing that would possibly damage the batteries but certainly not the alternator. As it is, I haven't turned the Immersion heater on, I've not even tried it to see if it works because the waters been hot all the time as I've been cruising.  I did turn the inverter on to see if it would boil a 1700 watt kettle, it turned on but I changed my mind and used the gas hob to finish it off.  Other than that I haven't used the inverter at all.  I've had the 2500 watt inverter set to charge only the rest of the time which is what the electrician recommended when I'm not using it

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

If you believe Ebay it implies 130 strands each of 0.30mm  but a reputable cable supplier says 126 strands each of 0.40 mm is rated at 110 amps. and that is £6 a meter.

They will be fine for joining the battery negatives for charging, but whether they will jump start from the domestic bank will be suck it and see. I simply don't believe the 1000 amps, although it may be true for a minute or two while the cable heats up.

So where do I get one from.  I understand what you say about ebay and that is why I asked for advice on it

28 minutes ago, karanight said:

So where do I get one from.  I understand what you say about ebay and that is why I asked for advice on it

I am never going to give a definite answer to and proposed purchase from Ebay, Amazon or the like because there is no way such technical details can be trusted. I have fallen foul of that myself. I told you that I make my own jump leads up. I also told you that the ones listed would work for combining both battery banks for charging, but MIGHT not be the best for actual jump-starting. I would have thought that at £6.99 they must be worth a punt.

30 minutes ago, karanight said:

I've had the 2500 watt inverter set to charge only the rest of the time which is what the electrician recommended when I'm not using it

That is the best way, but please read the manual and ensure that there is no way the inverter cum battery charger (a combi-unit) can start inverting the 12V to supply the charger. This is a potential problem when you are on a shoreline and the mains fails. it leads to flat and likely ruined batteries.

1 minute ago, Paul C said:

That would be possible with a separate inverter and charger but a combi???

Yes, those that allow the inverter to supplement the shoreline supply in cases of low power supplies. It depends on how it is set up. Basically, the supplementing function needs turning off.

14 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I would have thought that at £6.99 they must be worth a punt.

I'll look at a chandlers like Midland, I would have thought they would have a suitable one

The alternator has been charging all day yesterday and also this morning, ~I say charging because the red charging light hasn't come on at all whereas it was on before the batteries died.  Would that mean that it's likely to be OK  now

11 minutes ago, karanight said:

I'll look at a chandlers like Midland, I would have thought they would have a suitable one

By all means look at chandlers but expect to pay a marine mark up which will probably be a multiple of that Ebay price. The trouble is that you probably do not have the experience to look at the cable core or the size of the crimp where an eye terminal has been attached and judge if the core is man enough for the job. If it is sold by a reputable retailer as suitable for starting a diesel, it probably will be.

12 minutes ago, karanight said:

Somewhere like Halfords or any local motor factor should be able to supply you with heavy duty jump leads of a good length, aim for the ones rated for large litre engines like THESE

3 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

Somewhere like Halfords or any local motor factor should be able to supply you with heavy duty jump leads of a good length, aim for the ones rated for large litre engines like THESE

@karanight Halfords say these have 35 square millimetres cross sectional area of copper, you will often find these figures moulded into the insulation of the cables. Should be fine.

On 15/05/2023 at 10:32, Tony Brooks said:

By all means look at chandlers but expect to pay a marine mark up which will probably be a multiple of that Ebay price. 

Chandleries can be top price. But  I  bought a couple items from the chandlery at the marina recently. Some toilet chemical and a tub of grease.

Both were cheaper than internet prices.

On 15/05/2023 at 10:33, Hudds Lad said:

Those are the ones I have for my S60 D5 which has a rather nice battery (100Ah /  850 CCA) which is in the boot.

The only jumper leads that are any good ,you make with 400A welding cable ,and solid copper clamps. ......some truck electric places will sell the makings........beware of Chinese terminal clamps that look like copper ,but are actually steel.

Also if buying cheap your copper cables are often  multi strand cca where cca is copper clad aluminium.  The eBay cables mentioned earlier are cca.  Aluminium has reasonably good conductivity, but not as good as copper, so power is lost in the cable, but it is also not as flexible as copper, and tends to break if bent too often.  I would never buy cca jump leads.