Connecting standard waste to 3/4 hose

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Cal Ando said:

Thanks for trying Capt Birdseye.   Just for the record I got one of these connectors which screwfix advertise as to fit 40mm system with 1 1/2 BSP internal screw thread and its BRILLIANT apart  from TWO TINY FLAWS   1) it's not 40mm and 2) it's not 1 1.2 BSP   It is in fact 1 3/4 BSP which again is BRILLIANT if anyone else in the world used 1  3/4"BSP as a standard waste fitting.

Its designed to screw onto a compression type waste fitting instead of the nut, so it will fit an elbow or tee. Very useful item.

This is how tombstone Ted did it on my boat Dulcinea. 

IMG_20230516_161821.thumb.jpg.321c3438aa7f87d91395846f049d6f7f.jpg

The skin fitting is. of course, a welded-in stainless steel tube. 

Above this there is a normal stainless kitchen sink. 

Lever ball valve because it is a seagoing craft. 

The bottom end of the ball valve must have a hosetail screwed into it and the top end has been adapted to fit the standard sink waste. 

I agree with a poster earlier that you don't want a small diameter outlet on. sink because it will cause problems. 

To my mind if a person as a DIYer wants to enter a field that is normally carried out by professional tradesmen he should learn the professional language - not demand that the profession adapts to his lack of knowledge. When I worked as a plumber in the mid 50s there was no question that a rather box shaped thing in the kitched was called a sink, and a more bowl-shaped thing in the loo or elsewhere was a basin - where's the problem in that? The same as a hot tap was always on the left and cold on the right - it's now quite random, and the number of times I've found them fitted the wrong way round must be at least 1 in 4. It did get to be a pain when international measurements were adopted, and in many respects it is a messy bodge, but it was nothing to do with EC rules. There was always conflict between the different thread systems.

I understand that the ISO recommendation for whitworth pipe thread (the world standard apart from the US and its field of influence, and the petro-chemical industry) was to specify threads by G (or R) followed by the nominal size in fractional inches.  Mind you, when it was relevant to my work a couple of decades ago, I found that many European publications simply referred to them as "gas" or "gaz"  threads,  thus "3/4 gas" . 

I am pleased to say that, with excellent help from the previously mentioned Wonder Woman in Screwfix, (Noami from Tadley) I have resolved the issue of going from 1 1/4 BSP basin trap to 3/4" dia hose tail into the 3/4" barb in skin fitting.  It wasn't easy!   It took me 6 days and Naomi dedicated a total of about 90 mins to help resolve this issue, so well done to her and Screwfix for excelling on customer service and knowledge. 

Thus if anyone else finds this thread or has similar problems, I hope the solution described below resolves your issue.

You will need the following parts:

1    32mm basin waste with 1 1/4" BSP thread

1.  BES plumbing supplies Waste to Trap connector 1 1/4" BSP female to 1 1/2" BSP male part no. 15507

2 x Screwfix Floplast 40mm to 32mm push fit pipe reducer WC 38 screwfix part no. 69077

1 x screwfix Floplast Overflow & hose connector THC41 screwfix part no. 48625 "floplast hose connector"

1 x 2 1/2" or 70mm length of 32mm pushfit pipe

Note that the second 40 to 32 reducer is required only to provide an additional 32mm
compression screw cap for the Waste to trap converter which secures the push fit pipe.   

See the exploded picture and assembly below

To misquote Dirty Harry

"Uh uh I know what your thinking.   Did I use 32mm or 40mm pushfit pipe?.   Well to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself, But this is a .44 Magnum, [or is it a 1 1/2bsp thread to fit a similar 1 1/2" BSP thread, or a 1 1/2" something non-standard thread to fit a 40mm system or a 1 1/2" thread to fit a 40mm pushfit compression joint] thinking about this would blow your head clean off   ...you've gotta ask yourself one question "Do I feel lucky?" Well do ya punk?"

Thanks to all the contributors.   

assembly 2.jpg

exploded.jpg

Edited by Cal Ando
provide better quality pictures
  • Greenie 1

6 hours ago, Tam & Di said:

To my mind if a person as a DIYer wants to enter a field that is normally carried out by professional tradesmen he should learn the professional language - not demand that the profession adapts to his lack of knowledge. When I worked as a plumber in the mid 50s there was no question that a rather box shaped thing in the kitched was called a sink, and a more bowl-shaped thing in the loo or elsewhere was a basin - where's the problem in that? The same as a hot tap was always on the left and cold on the right - it's now quite random, and the number of times I've found them fitted the wrong way round must be at least 1 in 4. It did get to be a pain when international measurements were adopted, and in many respects it is a messy bodge, but it was nothing to do with EC rules. There was always conflict between the different thread systems.

I quite agree, and this is my point, that the items marketed today are contradictory to standards and produced by people who don't understand their own professional language.    A BSP 1 1/2" thread is specified as standard as 47.8mm major dia and 44.8 minor dia.   So why do I receive a professionally made item that advertises itself as 1 1/2" BSP thread that measures 53.7mm, (1 3/4" BSP), doesn't fit a standard 1 1/2" BSP but does fit other things labelled as "1 1/2" BSP" but clearly aren't.   I assume it's because the thread is, in fact 1 3/4" BSP but is labelled because it fits a push fit pipe of 40mm dia (which is 1 1/2") and if this is attached to something with a screw thread, the thread " is suitable for attaching something the EU decide to call 1 1/2" and thus we shall call  the thread 1 1/2" and as its a pipe thread and "a" standard and British we'll label it as "One and a half inch 'British' 'standard' 'pipe'" which is completely different to 1 1/2" BSP standards

It;s a bit like taking the standard 6'10" gauge of a narrowboat, converting it to metric (2082mm), rounding it up to the nearest convenient number (which in metric's case would be .a nice round 7' or 2133mm, going and finding a penichette slightly wider than that and declaring that boat's width as the new standard width of British narrowboats

Anyway, that#s probably enough ranting from me.  Off to find a darkened room

Edited by Cal Ando

Or, ten minutes with a 32mm clearance hole saw. A dab of paint. A 32mm skin fitting, a blob of 291 or butyl sealent. Do up the back nut. A 32 mm basin wast trap. A 32mm wast pipe, an elbow, another piece of pipe, another elbow, and a pipe to the skin fitting. A  job done properly, and no blocked wast pipe. :)

Edited by Peanut
basin

8 hours ago, Cal Ando said:

I am pleased to say that, with excellent help from the previously mentioned Wonder Woman in Screwfix, (Noami from Tadley) I have resolved the issue of going from 1 1/4 BSP basin trap to 3/4" dia hose tail into the 3/4" barb in skin fitting.  It wasn't easy!   It took me 6 days and Naomi dedicated a total of about 90 mins to help resolve this issue, so well done to her and Screwfix for excelling on customer service and knowledge. 

Thus if anyone else finds this thread or has similar problems, I hope the solution described below resolves your issue.

You will need the following parts:

1    32mm basin waste with 1 1/4" BSP thread

1.  BES plumbing supplies Waste to Trap connector 1 1/4" BSP female to 1 1/2" BSP male part no. 15507

2 x Screwfix Floplast 40mm to 32mm push fit pipe reducer WC 38 screwfix part no. 69077

1 x screwfix Floplast Overflow & hose connector THC41 screwfix part no. 48625 "floplast hose connector"

1 x 2 1/2" or 70mm length of 32mm pushfit pipe

Note that the second 40 to 32 reducer is required only to provide an additional 32mm
compression screw cap for the Waste to trap converter which secures the push fit pipe.   

See the exploded picture and assembly below

To misquote Dirty Harry

"Uh uh I know what your thinking.   Did I use 32mm or 40mm pushfit pipe?.   Well to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself, But this is a .44 Magnum, [or is it a 1 1/2bsp thread to fit a similar 1 1/2" BSP thread, or a 1 1/2" something non-standard thread to fit a 40mm system or a 1 1/2" thread to fit a 40mm pushfit compression joint] thinking about this would blow your head clean off   ...you've gotta ask yourself one question "Do I feel lucky?" Well do ya punk?"

Thanks to all the contributors.   

assembly 2.jpg

exploded.jpg

With that now being of such a huge length (depth), are you still able to get the water to drain out by gravity to the skin-fitting, or, have you had to lower the skin fitting to the water line, or, have you had to add a pump ?

24 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

With that now being of such a huge length (depth), are you still able to get the water to drain out by gravity to the skin-fitting, or, have you had to lower the skin fitting to the water line, or, have you had to add a pump ?

Remember the basin perches on top of the work surface, so maybe not as low down as those used to basins being inset would think, but I agree.

I notice a compression fitting that will seal onto glue type or push fit waste pipe, and would have thought similar could have been achieved with a shallow trap direct to the basin waste, which would give a 90 degree bend at a much higher level.

My similar looking setup drains by gravity, no problem. It's not as good as the kitchen sink one with larger bore pipe. 

Does it block? Yes, it needs unlocking every 2 to 3 years, which is a ten minute job. 

Would a larger bore pipe perform better? Again yes, but in my case increasing the existing hole size and adding a larger skin fitting would mean removing a radiator, which is my excuse for not having done the job properly in the first place. 

6 minutes ago, Meander said:

Yes it would.

All done in one elegant single fitting, instead of the monumental bodge bought from Screwfix.

Have to say though, a 1 1/4 x 1 1/2 bass bush would also have screwed straight onto the 1 1/4 waste tail, and accepted that Flowplast 40mm adaptor posted earlier in the thread.

11 hours ago, MtB said:

Yes it would.

All done in one elegant single fitting, instead of the monumental bodge bought from Screwfix.

Have to say though, a 1 1/4 x 1 1/2 bass bush would also have screwed straight onto the 1 1/4 waste tail, and accepted that Flowplast 40mm adaptor posted earlier in the thread.

Unfortunately no it probably doesnt.    Forgotten I'd found and a Waterline 1 1/4 BSP female to 1 1/2" male (plastic) bushing.   It arrived today and I eagerly ripped the screwfix version apart in anticipation of a neater, simpler and smaller solution.   No, it wouldn't fit onto the standard 1 1/4" BSP male waste fitting, neither would it fit onto a female 1 1/2" BSP fitting as advertised.  neither would it fit onto any of the screwfix fittings.   But apart from that - another brilliant bit of kit.   Great theory, just one TINY flaw - Doesnt work!  Thus I suspect that the " 1/14" BSP to straight 3/4" hose" probably wouldn't fit the 1 1/4" BSP trap either.

PS Floplast called me back today.  They confirmed that their 1 1/2" BSP to 3/4" hose adapter was indeed 1 3/4" BSP to 3/4 hose adapter as I stated and not 1 1/2" BSP as it stated on the packet.   This was why it didn't fit the (correctly advertised, marketed and machined) 1 1/2BSP to 1 1/4"BSP reducer from BES plumbing.    As the floplast  hose connector part fits most standard screwfix 40mm plumbing items with a screw thread, then whenever screwfix advertise something as 1 1/2" BSP what they SHOULD say is 1 3/4" BSP.   The conversation between me and Tam & DI seems even more poignant now that Floplast, as the 'professionals', have admitted not knowing (for 6 years!) what actual size their product either is or should be!  so much for standards, 'professional language' universal connectivity and Quality Control! 

The 1 3/4" BSP thread has not been recognised by the BSI as a standard  thread for use on pipes for many decades.  It is only recognised as a thread for mechanical fastening (as per the coupling nut of your 3/4" hose adaptor).  This is mentioned in the attached extract from the 1969 edition of Machinery's "Guide to World Screw Threads". 

Likewise, the 5/8" BSP thread used to be a standard coupling thread for attaching hoses to taps,  replaced several decades ago by the 3/4" BSP coupling. The Gardena hose connectors I bought in the 1970's  have a 3/4" female thread and were supplied with  two adaptors, one for 1/2" BSP  and one for 5/8" BSP. Nowadays hose adaptors still have the 3/4" thread, but only the 1/2" adaptor is supplied as the once-common 5/8" taps are no longer made.  A couple of years ago I  was able to give a 5/8" adaptor that I had never needed to an acquaintance who had an old garden tap with the 5/8" thread so he could attach a hose. 

20230517_231702-1.jpg

Edited by Ronaldo47
typos

9 hours ago, Ronaldo47 said:

The 1 3/4" BSP thread has not been recognised by the BSI as a standard  thread for use on pipes for many decades.

Curiously, the 1 3/4" BSP thread still appears regularly in the world of plumbing for one specific application (possibly because it is never used elsewhere) - it is the thread used on the immersion heater for a high pressure unvented hot water cylinder e.g. the Heatrae Sadia MegaFLO.

These have heater elements designed and manufactured to a higher standard than elements for conventional low pressure open-vented cylinders (which have a 2 1/4" thread). Done I imagine, to prevent cheap low pressure immersion heater elements being fitted into unvented cylinders.