Contactless Payment Pump Out Machines - CRT Trial

Withywindle

Featured Posts

The latest CRT boater update announced the trial of contactless payment pump out on a handful of machines in the North West which if successful would be rolled out nationally. 

I came across one today at Anderton Services. Initially it had me confused, mainly down to CRT failing to update the already outdated instructions on the machine or explain what the new gadget was.  I have to say, however, I thought it was a vast improvement. It will accept and contactless payment card and you can also use your phone, as I did, if you have it set up for contactless. It worked flawlessly. 

My only worry is what will happen if I don’t manage to use the old style cards I still have before the old machines are phased out. Will I get a refund or credit from CRT I wonder? I hope they’ll think of that one. 

IMG_5445.jpeg

I did suggest this to them quite a few years ago, and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who did.

The paper pumpout cards have always seemed to be more trouble than they are worth - everyone either trades or refunds half the cards they get, and can't rely on them working after that.

12 hours ago, PeterF said:

How long before the mobile antennae get broken, hopefully if it works a more robust design will be used when rolled out properly.

Yes the antenna aren’t great, having said that they are tucked away at the top and in the case of the machine at Anderton it would have been very difficult to hit them with the pump out hose. 

My biggest issue is, if this is supposed to be a trial CRT could have presented it a little better. By that I mean amending the old instruction plate to reflect the new card reader and perhaps putting a notice in the cabinet explaining that it was an evaluation and perhaps providing and email address so people could give their feedback.