Tow

Jason rigby

Featured Posts

11 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

What has actually been stolen? Or has it just been vandalised?

Is it the Morse control lever and cables? Be easier and cheaper to get that fixed than pay for a tow. There is a Lymm Boat Club - maybe they could help?

It's lister sr3 think that 

Just now, Jason rigby said:

It's lister sr3 thinking  that 

14 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

What has actually been stolen? Or has it just been vandalised?

Is it the Morse control lever and cables? Be easier and cheaper to get that fixed than pay for a tow. There is a Lymm Boat Club - maybe they could help?

Thinking that lister sr3

I think that you mean the control has been stolen as well as the instrument panel, including the ignition switch.

Just say it is a Lister SR 3 is worse than useless. That could have one of two different gearboxes. One with a big lever stuck up through the floor plus a throttle control, or one that uses a single lever control to alter the speed AND select ahead, neutral, and reverse.

Someone who knows what they are doing could hot wire the cables to get the engine going. If it is the type with the big lever it is often possible to use a length of string or wire to operate the throttle, but operating the gear selector on the type with a single lever control is not so easy, but if no locks are involved it is perfectly possible to select the gear by hand on the gearbox.

I assume the wirirng cables have all been cut rather than disconnected from the instrument panel.

Now, how about helping yourself by telling us exactly what has been stolen and what damage has been done to the wiring and control cables.

• Greenie 2

5 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I think that you mean the control has been stolen as well as the instrument panel, including the ignition switch.

Just say it is a Lister SR 3 is worse than useless. That could have one of two different gearboxes. One with a big lever stuck up through the floor plus a throttle control, or one that uses a single lever control to alter the speed AND select ahead, neutral, and reverse.

Someone who knows what they are doing could hot wire the cables to get the engine going. If it is the type with the big lever it is often possible to use a length of string or wire to operate the throttle, but operating the gear selector on the type with a single lever control is not so easy, but if no locks are involved it is perfectly possible to select the gear by hand on the gearbox.

I assume the wirirng cables have all been cut rather than disconnected from the instrument panel.

Now, how about helping yourself by telling us exactly what has been stolen and what damage has been done to the wiring and control cables.

Already put panel on with oil light and key ignition it turn 

26 minutes ago, Jason rigby said:

Already put panel on with oil light and key ignition it turn over don't want damage engine doing make shift throttle cable and stop getting price on tow (rescue) then can sort out sorry didn't no 4t like keep it short and simple 

25 minutes ago, Jason rigby said:

Already put panel on with oil light and key ignition it turn over don't want damage engine doing make shift throttle cable and stop getting price on tow (rescue) then can sort out sorry didn't no 4t like keep it short and simple 

Most marine diesels need no electricity to run, only to get them started.

It won't start if the stop control is not in the run position.

You can't damage the engine by running it with no electrics connected from the instance it starts, and even if you have some engine electrics connected, the alternator is the only thing that is at potential risk.

You can't damage the engine by using the control on the gearbox to put it in and out of gear.

If you decide to get the engine going and make slow progress to the marina, just ask.

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

As someone pointed out, your short, cryptic posts do nothing to help your cause.

I have no intention of trying to guess exactly what you mean and what has happened.

Exactly this. Unless you're on a severely restricted data plan or in an area with almost no connectivity there is no reason to be brief. If you want help then people need proper descriptions of the problem.  Photos would help too.

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

Most marine diesels need no electricity to run, only to get them started.

It won't start if the stop control is not in the run position.

You can't damage the engine by running it with no electrics connected from the instance it starts, and even if you have some engine electrics connected, the alternator is the only thing that is at potential risk.

You can't damage the engine by using the control on the gearbox to put it in and out of gear.

If you decide to get the engine going and make slow progress to the marina, just ask.

It will start but stop it got jump in engine day cut off diesel 

Just now, Jason rigby said:

It will start but stop it got jump in engine day cut off diesel  the prop go's round wire it before crane came at 2 

18 minutes ago, Jason rigby said:

It will start but stop it got jump in engine day cut off diesel 

If it is a choice between paying for a tow or taking it slowly, I know which I would do. Not convenient, but perfectly possible,  especially as it is a broad canal.

What I have done in related circumstances (controls fell apart rather than being stolen) is have someone in the engine room to operate them and agree some hand signals. Doesn't need much - faster/slower, forwards/neutral/reverse. You can swap around to avoid getting too bored or deaf. Anyone you could travel with?

Alec

• Greenie 1

My experience of insurance is a small claim will be recouped in the next premium and you will pay the increase for ever ...........as the coppers always used to say ......lock it up if you dont want to lose it.

8 hours ago, Jerra said:

Has it occurred to any of you offering such good help the communication problem may be because English isn't their first language?

Yes, but it is still a communication issue, and that does not explain the conflicting statements and lack of answer to the question about the control and cables. Even the destination was unclear until pressed. If what you say is true, then maybe writing in his language, putting it into Google Translate, and copying and pasting the output into the forum may have helped. The odd bit of what looked like text speak does not help.

I wondered about English not being the first language too but when I had a wee peep at his earlier posts, most of them were understandable . Perhaps the OP has a communication problem at the moment. I feel he is crying out for help and several are trying to give it but the lack of  understandable communications isn't helping either side.

12 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

If it is a choice between paying for a tow or taking it slowly, I know which I would do. Not convenient, but perfectly possible,  especially as it is a broad canal.

This  puzzled me got a price on a tow  untill told them engine not working there reply was we can't tow it because the engine not working? I always fort if breakdown get it fixt bank side or towed to  a place get fixt 

7 minutes ago, haggis said:

I wondered about English not being the first language too but when I had a wee peep at his earlier posts, most of them were understandable . Perhaps the OP has a communication problem at the moment. I feel he is crying out for help and several are trying to give it but the lack of  understandable communications isn't helping either side.

My first language English it hard because I have dislecea and yes it spell wrong think unless comes up on phone  I have to try put it another way yes it might be hard to understand sorry if communication hard it hard for me think a will just call day on this thank for your replys 

30 minutes ago, Jason rigby said:

This  puzzled me got a price on a tow  untill told them engine not working there reply was we can't tow it because the engine not working? I always fort if breakdown get it fixt bank side or towed to  a place get fixt 

That's just daft. If the engine was working you wouldn't need a tow!

Someone gave me another mobile engineer's card yesterday with a recommendation, Tony Weston 07920 115820. He's in Chester apparently but travels widely. I've not used him, just passing the number on.

1 hour ago, Jason rigby said:

I always fort if breakdown get it fixt bank side or towed to  a place get fixt 

I accept that you don't wish to continue, but this quote is not the case. The choice is to get it fixed bankside or somehow get it to a place to be fixed.

If you can't get it fixed bankside then your choices to get it to a place to be fixed are a tow, as you say, OR bow haul it manually, or rig things, so you can boat to the fixing place. Although we do not know exactly what type of boat you have but an SR3 suggests it is a narrowboat with a trad or cruiser stern so whilst steering you are close to the engine.

You will move forward slowly tickover, and being a wide canal you have plenty of room to avoid other boats. If you can not get a tow, then I would drive it to the marina. If you need to know how to bow haul it to the marina, just ask, because there is a technique to avoid constantly pulling it into the bank.

Edited by Tony Brooks

41 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

That's just daft. If the engine was working you wouldn't need a tow!

Someone gave me another mobile engineer's card yesterday with a recommendation, Tony Weston 07920 115820. He's in Chester apparently but travels widely. I've not used him, just passing the number on.

After the move and cranes I haven't got choice yet to pay for parts yet the only choice is move it to mooring then do it as get payed