George Ward evicted.

Featured Posts

10 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

However, Magnetman did not use the term Gypsy or Traveller, which do describe defined groups. 

No, I used those terms and see nothing wrong in doing so. They're not terms of abuse but some people will get triggered and find offense in anything.

• Greenie 1

It wasn't about labeling an individual. 

I think it is incorrect to suggest that the boat geyser was solely responsible for the mess. I believe there is a group who think it is okay to do this, and the CRT are partly to blame as well. There should really be a zero tolerance policy on this. Anything left on towpath not in use should be removed. 

It is quite an interesting topic because this is obviously basic human behaviour around territory but at the same time it is fly tipping. 

Actually rather a tricky thing to manage when you think it through. The only feasible way would be to take action using laws against fly tipping. Maybe the CRT can't do this. 

Surely they must have some control over their land as well as their waterways. 

Getting people moving around more would help. 

My interpretation of pikey is that is that a descibes a certain sub-culture within our society, just like punks and goths. Its not racist and is not an alternative name for travellers, though quite a lot of pikeys do come from a traveller background, especially new age travellers.

Pikeys have specific ways of dressing and their culture involves a a fair bit of low level crime and general anti-social behaviour.

I think some people do now use pikey as an alternative term for traveller but this is not really correct.

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, blackrose said:

No, I used those terms and see nothing wrong in doing so. They're not terms of abuse but some people will get triggered and find offense in anything.

Including it would appear Microsoft Word - I had to write a report that included reference to Gypsy Lane in Frome where I live, the MSWord editor kept suggesting I change it to Traveller, Romany, or Romani...

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, dmr said:

My interpretation of pikey is that is that a descibes a certain sub-culture within our society, just like punks and goths. 

I am offended on behalf of punks and goths. 

How dare you compare them to pikeys!

;)

I know a goth who is a surfacing man. 

Edited by magnetman

2 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I am offended on behalf of punks and goths. 

How dare you compare them to pikeys!

;)

Be careful this could be the onset of 'woke' a nasty ailment affecting people from outside of Yorkshire.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Midnight said:

Perhaps to avoid offending our woke friends maybe you should have said "Scumbags living on the towpath are not acceptable." 

Shall we leave it simply as leaving a mess in any public space is unacceptable. 

And the bigger the mess, the more unacceptable, without ascribing any further labels, woke or otherwise, to the mess. or any identifiable population or ethnic  group.

George occupied and despoiled both public land and water, that he was not entitled to, and his despoilation significantly degraded that environment. His  significant environmental degradation eventually correctly provoked legitimate action by the controlling authority of land and  water affected.

His actions were independent of any other identifiable population or ethnic group.

But he may have some support from the National Association of Boat Owners, which like the IWA supports the boating interests of it's particular members. Just very different boating interests. 

• Angry 1

4 minutes ago, DandV said:

Shall we leave it simply as leaving a mess in any public space is unacceptable

And the bigger the mess, the more unacceptable, without ascribing any further labels, woke or otherwise, to the mess. or any identifiable population or ethnic  group.

George occupied and despoiled both public land and water, that he was not entitled to, and his despoilation significantly degraded that environment. His  significant environmental degradation eventually correctly provoked legitimate action by the controlling authority of land and  water affected.

The voice of (at least partial) sanity...

16 minutes ago, DandV said:

Shall we leave it simply as leaving a mess in any public space is unacceptable. 

His actions were independent of any other identifiable population or ethnic group.

But he may have some support from the National Association of Boat Owners, which like the IWA supports the boating interests of it's particular members. Just very different boating interests. 

Yes I totally agree with you but in Yorkshire we call those types 'scumbags'. As nobody admits to being one identifies as one and the National Association of Scumbags doesn't exist, nobody is offended.

Edited by Midnight
Incorrect use of modern English language

2 minutes ago, Midnight said:

Yes I totally agree with you but in Yorkshire we call those types 'scumbags' and as nobody admits to being one and the National Association of Scumbags doesn't exist nobody is offended.

I actually don't have any difficulty with the term scumbag, (as long as I am never described as one) as it does not imply belonging to any particular ethnicity, or belief structure, or any organisation, or movement. It is applied in a purely personal capacity. 

It is simply a way of expressing behaviour that you find very unacceptable, without ensnaring others. 

And to me George's behaviour was sufficiently unacceptable that the requisite authorities had to intervene. 

37 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

Including it would appear Microsoft Word - I had to write a report that included reference to Gypsy Lane in Frome where I live, the MSWord editor kept suggesting I change it to Traveller, Romany, or Romani...

On behalf of a chain gypsy, "I am offended that I should be called a Traveller, Romany etc".

368_4-12.jpg

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Midnight said:

Yes I totally agree with you but in Yorkshire we call those types 'scumbags' and as nobody admits to identifies as being one and the National Association of Scumbags doesn't exist nobody is offended.

As a Scouser, I regard this as a typical Tyke reaction. The problem is how some people interpret words of identity, and humour. Some can use them to show they understand difference, while others are just plain nasty. Complaining about the word is pointless, we should be looking to change understanding and what rights individuals have regarding their identity. Unfortunately we are living through a time when everyone seems to know their rights, but not the responsibilities which support those rights.

• Greenie 2

7 minutes ago, DandV said:

I actually don't have any difficulty with the term scumbag, (as long as I am never described as one) as it does not imply belonging to any particular ethnicity, or belief structure, or any organisation, or movement.

"The Oxford History of English" refers to:

......young people who use charver or pikey to identify a contemporary style of dress or general demeanour suggest an aimless "street" lifestyle, (unaware of the Romani origin of the first or of connotation with "gypsy") 

29 minutes ago, DandV said:

Scant evidence of that this time around, wasn't there?

I think he may have chuffed them off by taking the £8k crowd fund and doing nothing with it. Or was it used to buy MARCH HARE when CELTIC became too precarious to live on? Or has he always had it? 

One of those American evangelical groups ran a website that included news feeds from other media, but automatically substituted certain words that offended the evangelicals. Until they caused a wider upset, by repeatedly changing the name of sprinter Tyson Gay to 'Tyson Homosexual'.

28 minutes ago, Midnight said:

Be careful this could be the onset of 'woke' a nasty ailment affecting people from outside of Yorkshire.

I do struggle with all this wokeness and political correctness, much of it is illogical, dishonest and just plain daft, and I am a fairly logical engineer  so get quite offended by it all 😀.

I met a "person" on the K&A who desribed "itself" as part of the Pikey Navy. Are you allowed to apply offensive terms to yourself?

and can racism extend to countyism?   what about the term "Yorkshire Tyke"  (and there is a boat somewhere with that name).

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, dmr said:

I do struggle with all this wokeness and political correctness, much of it is illogical, dishonest and just plain daft, and I am a fairly logical engineer  so get quite offended by it all 😀.

I met a "person" on the K&A who desribed "itself" as part of the Pikey Navy. Are you allowed to apply offensive terms to yourself?

and can racism extend to countyism?   what about the term "Yorkshire Tyke"  (and there is a boat somewhere with that name).

I identify as a 'Yorkshire Pudding' but would not be offended unless someone poured hot gravy over me and tried to eat me on a Sunday lunchtime.

Edited by Midnight
  • Happy 1

I would be a little surprised if NABO wanted to support Mr Ward. It looks like even the NBTA won't touch him with a largepole. 

47 minutes ago, DandV said:

7 minutes ago, magnetman said:

These are generally of thin wall aluminium with plugged ends. 

Prolly quite difficult to use as a longshaft then, as buoyancy of a very lightweight longshaft makes them awkward to use. 

2 hours ago, blackrose said:

I disagree. I think it's perfectly reasonable  discuss the wider issues including other groups of people who behave in a similar antisocial way in terms of how they disrespect the local environment and their neighbours. You find the term "pikey" offensive which is understandable because it does cross the line, however you then conflate that with more reasonable discussion and seek to shut that down. It's called cancel culture.

Is that the same as using the N-word in public? If not, why not? It is unacceptable under any circumstances.

1 hour ago, dmr said:

Tyke isn't derogatory. It's a term used by those who are jealous of them. 

But would you describe never using the N-word as an act of political correctness? 

1 hour ago, MtB said:

Prolly quite difficult to use as a longshaft then, as buoyancy of a very lightweight longshaft makes them awkward to use. 

Indeed. They are for not touching things with.