George Ward evicted.

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, dmr said:

As a vegetarian I find that very offensive. 😀

In about 100 years when we finally prove plants are sentient, vegatablists are gonna have a bit of a problem, I think... 

16 hours ago, MtB said:

In about 100 years when we finally prove plants are sentient, vegatablists are gonna have a bit of a problem, I think... 

Nah, don't worry about that, in twenty years time AI will control the world and will logically conclude that the best way to save the planet is for humans to eat each other. (no smiley here).

On 13/05/2023 at 09:05, Alan de Enfield said:

This one ?

That was quite an interesting little video, probably one of the only ones I've seen detailing (a part of the) the lives of people who are full time residents of the waterways. I'd like to watch more if I can as I'd have never found this video (7 year old video on a channel with 273 subsrubers, and that was the last video!).

I did try a search for 'continuous cruiser documentary' but I got a circular loop back to a thread here:

Don't know if that documentary ever got made. I did find a YT channel called "Crusing the Cut" that I'm going to look at.

If anyone has some other recomendations feel free to share😀

Most of the last few years 'living aboard' videos / Blogs tend to be young(ish) wannabe hippies dropping out of society, and who are portraying what a

wonderful life it is (but never mention the emptying of the toilet, or having to fetch water or gas down miles of muddy towpatch in the Winter), or, families in financial difficulties who cannot afford to rent a flat / house so end up buying a slum-boat and are ever bemoaning what a bad life it is and, C&RT in particular, by making them move when they want to stay where they are because it is 'handy for the school'.

Just view each blog type and see how it falls into line with your own circumstances and expectations

• Greenie 1

16 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Most of the last few years 'living aboard' videos / Blogs tend to be young(ish) wannabe hippies dropping out of society, and who are portraying what a

wonderful life it is (but never mention the emptying of the toilet, or having to fetch water or gas down miles of muddy towpatch in the Winter), or, families in financial difficulties who cannot afford to rent a flat / house so end up buying a slum-boat and are ever bemoaning what a bad life it is and, C&RT in particular, by making them move when they want to stay where they are because it is 'handy for the school'.

Just view each blog type and see how it falls into line with your own circumstances and expectations

Cheers, theres a multitude of blogs like you say and that 'Cruising The Cut' channel has a associated website with a page of other channels to explore - by his own admission he no longer maintains that page due to how many keep appearing.

No I was a bit more interested in any serious documentary put together about the CRT or Continuous Cruising esp a more up to date one, there were a few claims in that original video about CRT that (if true) are a bit worrying but it is a 7 year old video. CRT may now have a different attitude towards continous cruisers than these few individuals were painting a picture of.

Edited by WiggyDiggyPoo
a word

I quite liked the way the CRT geyser pointed out they are not a public body and therefore do not actually have to behave reasonably. 

I would suggest anyone thinking of pushing the edges of the law on canals have a little sit down and work out that it is a bad idea. 

I'm no clairvoyant but I can see the space at Greenwalls farm where they store the S8 boats might need more hardstanding as they will be getting a lot more boats. 

8 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I quite liked the way the CRT geyser pointed out they are not a public body and therefore do not actually have to behave reasonably. 

I would suggest anyone thinking of pushing the edges of the law on canals have a little sit down and work out that it is a bad idea. 

I'm no clairvoyant but I can see the space at Greenwalls farm where they store the S8 boats might need more hardstanding as they will be getting a lot more boats. 

Yeah I picked up on that, I think he had a legal advisor just off camera.

The CRT seems to have moved from a minimum distance requirement to one based on moving from one neighbourhood to another, they even go as far as saying specfying distance is not practical and give some definition of what a neighbourhood is.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/licence-your-boat/continuous-cruising

(Link on that page - follow the rules)

21 minutes ago, WiggyDiggyPoo said:

No I was a bit more interested in any serious documentary put together about the CRT or Continuous Cruising esp a more up to date one, there were a few claims in that original video about CRT that (if true) are a bit worrying but it is a 7 year old video. CRT may now have a different attitude towards continous cruisers than these few individuals were painting a picture of.

C&RTs enforcement has increased, particularly in the 'problem areas' of the South and South West.

There are now so many liveboards that do not want to follow the rules that C&RT are going to be coming down hard on them.

If you plan to be a liveaboard, then ensure you can comply with the rules.

If you cannot, then have a plan B in place for the day when they come knocking on your door.

The enforcement manager explained it thus ........... (its not difficult to comply, unless you go out of your way not to)

London Enforcement Manager Simon Cadek :

When we are looking at boat movements we are looking for characteristics of bona fide navigation, these fall roughly into four categories:

· Range: by range we mean the furthest points a boat has travelled on the network, not merely the total distance travelled. While the BW act does not stipulate what that distance is the Trust has previously said that anyone travelling a range of less than say 20 miles (32km) would struggle to satisfy the Trust that they are engaged in bona fide navigation and that normally we would expect a greater range.

. For the avoidance of doubt, a small number of long journeys over a short period of time, followed or preceded by cruising in a small are of the network would not generally satisfy the Trust that you are engaged in bona fide navigation.

· Overstaying: we look to see how often boats overstay, either the 14 day limit on the main length of the canal, or shorter periods where local signage dictates, for example short stay visitor moorings.

While we are flexible with the occasional overstay from most boaters due to breakdown, illness or other emergencies, we will look at the overall pattern balanced with range and movement pattern in order to form a view.

Overstay reminders are issued when a boat is seen in the same area for more than 14 days. While we are unable to say how far you need to travel each time you move, we would advise that you normally travel further than a few km each time.

This will prevent you from getting reminders and depending on the length of other trips you make and how many times you turn back on yourself, should increase your overall range over the course of your licence.

· Movement: Continuous Cruiser Licences are intended for bona fide (genuine) navigation around the network, rather than for a boat to remain in one mooring spot, place neighbourhood or area.

We would expect boats on these licences to move around the network such that they don’t gravitate back to favoured areas too often i.e. in a way that it’s clear to us that they’re living in a small area of the waterway.

The basic principle of this is that these licences are not intended for living in an area and if it looks like a boat is habitually returning to a particular part of the waterway then this would not generally satisfy the Trust.

Within an acceptable range we’d expect a genuine movement, so for example it would not satisfy the Trust if a boat went on a 60 mile trip during the course of say two weeks, then returned to cruise in an area of say 5 miles the remainder of the time (figures are examples only).

Generally speaking, the smaller the range the less we’d expect to see boats back at the same locations. Of course people need to turn around and they’re perfectly free to re-visit places they have been to before, it’s living in a small area on this kind of licence that would cause a problem.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

Interesting things happening in this country. Ridiculous increases in the value of property and policies which encourage ripoff landlordism will be felt on the waterways.

Masses of people on boats really don't want to be living on a boat but it is a cheap option so they do it. Give them a choice and they would be nowhere near a boat in a million yars. 

It is going to be a hard job for navigation authorities to sort this one out. Things have changed and are changing fast now. Population increase and 'interesting' attitudes is the order of the day. 

The highly visible and aggressive Section 8 (1983 Act) procedure is an interesting attempt to sort the problem out. One wonders if it will work. 

Other options include close canals such as the K&A and the London ditches and sell the land to property developers. 

Nice boat !

Section 8 

IMG_20230512_203343.jpg.c5501853c2e5bac5bca8966c0f9d3605.jpg

Edited by magnetman

13 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I don't think CaRT have a different attitude to continuous cruisers who understand and in the main play be their contract with CaRT. CaRT's attitude to those who take the contract and then do their best not to play be the rules may well be getting harsher.

You should not confuse continuous cruisers with continuous moorers

I don't.

2 hours ago, WiggyDiggyPoo said:

Yeah I picked up on that, I think he had a legal advisor just off camera.

The CRT seems to have moved from a minimum distance requirement to one based on moving from one neighbourhood to another, they even go as far as saying specfying distance is not practical and give some definition of what a neighbourhood is.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/licence-your-boat/continuous-cruising

(Link on that page - follow the rules)

It's easy really. Don't take the piss and you'll be fine. People like George are world champion piss takers and they usually end up in the same 'boat' - see what I did there 😆

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, Midnight said:

It's easy really. Don't take the piss and you'll be fine. People like George are world champion piss takers and they usually end up in the same 'boat' - see what I did there 😆

As he's on the orginal video I watched with a stack of around 10+ warnings from CRT, that its now 7 years later and the eviction process is only just beginning says the same thing!

43 minutes ago, WiggyDiggyPoo said:

As he's on the orginal video I watched with a stack of around 10+ warnings from CRT, that its now 7 years later and the eviction process is only just beginning says the same thing!

This is exactly why so many boaters (probably correctly) stick two fingers up at CRT. They see how behaving aggressively and uncooperatively like Mr Ward pays off big time in the way they leave you alone for months and years at a stretch if you behave badly enough.

He got away with it for a whole decade and loads of boaters will have taken note. CRT will be reaping in the future what they've sowed with Mr Ward, I predict. 

• Greenie 1
  • Angry 1

More hardstanding coming soon at Greenwalls. 

The DEFRA aerial image shows a lot more boats than the google space station view. 

Not sure on the dates of these but I think the CRT might be gradually cranking up the number of boats taken on Section 8. 

2 hours ago, magnetman said:

More hardstanding coming soon at Greenwalls. 

The DEFRA aerial image shows a lot more boats than the google space station view. 

Not sure on the dates of these but I think the CRT might be gradually cranking up the number of boats taken on Section 8. 

Ah well Andrew it looks like the Mickey takers are going to regret their actions! We have a little village on Eastwood visitors moorings that need moving on

43 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Ah well Andrew it looks like the Mickey takers are going to regret their actions! We have a little village on Eastwood visitors moorings that need moving on

I don't think CRT have anything like enough staff to move on all the boaters encouraged to push the envelope by the success of Mr Ward sticking two fingers up at CRT for a whole decade. 

10 hours ago, MtB said:

I don't think CRT have anything like enough staff to move on all the boaters encouraged to push the envelope by the success of Mr Ward sticking two fingers up at CRT for a whole decade. 

I think you maybe right, we have license checkers coming around the moorings once a month I will catch them next month and ask what is going on up there