George Ward evicted.

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, Pluto said:

As a Scouser, I regard this as a typical Tyke reaction. The problem is how some people interpret words of identity, and humour. Some can use them to show they understand difference, while others are just plain nasty. Complaining about the word is pointless, we should be looking to change understanding and what rights individuals have regarding their identity. Unfortunately we are living through a time when everyone seems to know their rights, but not the responsibilities which support those rights.

It seems that people are more focused on themselves than on others. They take offence at certain words or phrases rather than trying to understand the intention of the person using the word, context can change the meaning of the overall message. 

3 hours ago, magnetman said:

Actually rather a tricky thing to manage when you think it through. The only feasible way would be to take action using laws against fly tipping. Maybe the CRT can't do this. 

Surely they must have some control over their land as well as their waterways. 

I'd imagine it is either fly tipping or some form of aggrevated trespass (there is a right of access to the towpath but not any land beyond it)

But proving it in court would be difficult, while it maybe faily obvious that the piles of junk near some tatty moored boats probably belongs to the people on those boats, can you prove that against one individual- they'll just say it wasn't me it was the others.

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, Machpoint005 said:

But would you describe never using the N-word as an act of political correctness? 

I note that some people who could be desribed as N's are very happy to refer to themselves as N.  That's a bit confusing and a sort of racism???

Likewise I also have a number of gay friends who call themselves queer, but don't like it when others call them queer.

But the real smartarse answer is that I don't want to debate anything about wokeism because a fundamental of wokeism/cancel culture is that wokeists don't wan't to listen to anything that they disagree with 😀

• Greenie 3

On 11/05/2023 at 14:38, Athy said:

Perhaps in the sense that he was, er, attending to his ablutions at the time of their arrival.

You mean....he was squatting down the bank as he has been for years....😳

2 hours ago, dmr said:

I note that some people who could be desribed as N's are very happy to refer to themselves as N.  That's a bit confusing and a sort of racism???

Likewise I also have a number of gay friends who call themselves queer, but don't like it when others call them queer.

But the real smartarse answer is that I don't want to debate anything about wokeism because a fundamental of wokeism/cancel culture is that wokeists don't wan't to listen to anything that they disagree with 😀

You "don't want to debate anything about wokeism because a fundamental of wokeism/cancel culture is that wokeists don't wan't to listen to anything that they disagree with".

Bit like you, then. Just refuse to listen to any point of view but your own. And use insulting, racist language while being too mealy mouthed and chicken to actually use the word, just "N". Pathetic.

• Greenie 1

27 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

My ex neighbors Asian boyfriend actually liked being called The Wog, he said it stood for Western Oriental Gentleman & would argue with anyone who said otherwise.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, dmr said:

It's not that confusing, a word that was used for generations to belittle and demean is now being used by those it was used against to "own" the history in an ironic way.

Words like this are often used as well to signify being part of a gang or being good friends and  limited in use to that gang, a sign of pride and friendship in a way.

As an example, a ex military friend of mine tells of a time he worked in a small team of of 4, 3 white blokes and a black bloke, the right to use the "N" word was given by the black chap and accepted as banter within the close knit team (amongst other terms of abuse/friendship) but if anyone else used the word a very severe talking too would be had, it was a sign of trust and friendship

Edited by tree monkey
  • Greenie 4

19 minutes ago, buccaneer66 said:

My ex neighbors Asian boyfriend actually liked being called The Wog, he said it stood for Western Oriental Gentleman & would argue with anyone who said otherwise.

I'm sure he loved it, just like my mate, Les who was five foot one, told everyone he loved being called shortarse. And like all those Yorkshire cricketers enjoyed being called Pakis.

Truly amazing how naive some people are.

I'm sure if you nipped into a place full of Asians, including your ex neighbors boyfriend, and, being the only white face there, you'd greet him loudly by saying "Hi, how's my favourite wog?" and you'd all have a jolly good laugh.

Or, perhaps, if you wouldn't, you need to use your brain a bit?

• Greenie 3

I thought wog was 'westernised oriental gentleman' indicating someone who had adapted to life on these shores despite having completely different cultural norms in their background. 

A respectable furriner, if they exist. So to speak. 

My girls go to inner east London schools where they are part of the 1 percent (not an exaggeration) of kids who are white. 

Yes the bangalis do have racist terms for indigenous people as well but who cares? As humans we are all constantly trying to solve the same basic problem which is that of being a skeleton covered with flesh and muscles with an oversized brain at the top end and poorly adapted feet. 

It makes little difference where you came from you still have to eat and shit relatively often and hope not to get run over by something. 

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

You "don't want to debate anything about wokeism because a fundamental of wokeism/cancel culture is that wokeists don't wan't to listen to anything that they disagree with".

Bit like you, then. Just refuse to listen to any point of view but your own. And use insulting, racist language while being too mealy mouthed and chicken to actually use the word, just "N". Pathetic.

Thats a bit of an over the top response from you for a post that had a smilley at the end.  Its not lack of courage that I don't use the N word or any other contraversial words, its probably breaking the law, would offend some peoople, and possibly get the forum into trouble.

When have I used racially insulting language?

However I do generally value free speach so a lot of wokeism is of deep concern to me.

Some yars ago I had a letter from an estate agent to my Limehouse address. It was addressed to Mr Nigg Nogg. My name is Mr Crosby. 

I don't know if someone was having a laugh but I found it quite funny because it isn't a black african area at all. Brixton and other parts of London might be but Limehouse is more of a white middle class and bangali area. 

Was it bad to find this funny? 

My theory is that if such terms are buried under the label of 'too offensive' things go sour and I think it happens quite quickly. 

10 hours ago, DandV said:

Shall we leave it simply as leaving a mess in any public space is unacceptable. 

And the bigger the mess, the more unacceptable, without ascribing any further labels, woke or otherwise, to the mess. or any identifiable population or ethnic  group.

George occupied and despoiled both public land and water, that he was not entitled to, and his despoilation significantly degraded that environment. His  significant environmental degradation eventually correctly provoked legitimate action by the controlling authority of land and  water affected.

His actions were independent of any other identifiable population or ethnic group.

But he may have some support from the National Association of Boat Owners, which like the IWA supports the boating interests of it's particular members. Just very different boating interests. 

I think you need to research the above organisations as I can assure you George has NO support from the organisations mentioned.

Edited by sueb
Typed in wrong place

10 hours ago, DandV said:

But he may have some support from the National Association of Boat Owners, which like the IWA supports the boating interests of it's particular members. Just very different boating interests. 

I very much doubt that, but he may well have had the support of the NBTA (No Boats Move Anywhere, - AKA, National Bargee Travellers Association) as they

don't represent 'boating interests' and neither does he.

The boat geyser gave the game away quite a while ago when he used the words 'adverse possession' to describe the CRT taking the boat. 

This is a term used by squatters who 'know their rights'. 

I think he is a squatter. I would put money on him having been involved in squatting houses before it was made a criminal offence in 2012 after which he found his way to the canals, as did all the other entitled squatters. 

I hope they don't screw the place too badly. It is quite nice living on boats. 

• Greenie 1

11 hours ago, DandV said:

I am a member of NABO and I dont support him

Edited by ditchcrawler
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

The boat geyser gave the game away quite a while ago when he used the words 'adverse possession' to describe the CRT taking the boat. 

This is a term used by squatters who 'know their rights'. 

I think he is a squatter. I would put money on him having been involved in squatting houses before it was made a criminal offence in 2012 after which he found his way to the canals, as did all the other entitled squatters. 

I hope they don't screw the place too badly. It is quite nice living on boats. 

Maybe we should start using the term "squatter" rather than "continuous moorer"? Isn't that technically what is being done? Which gives two nicely derogatory terms for those ripping off the system - squatters and dumpers.

9 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Maybe we should start using the term "squatter" rather than "continuous moorer"? Isn't that technically what is being done? Which gives two nicely derogatory terms for those ripping off the system - squatters and dumpers.

It was pretty much impossible for boats to be left littering the towpath when working craft held sway. The terms towpath dosser or towpath squatter came into use when it first started to happen, in the 60s. I've not heard them used much since that time. They are obviously perjorative, but do express how such actions were regarded by those wishing to use canals in the normally accepted manner right from the beginning, long before it became such a severe problem. Even back then BWB never gave their lengthsmen sufficient back-up for them to nip it in the bud.

10 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Except that dumping is a perfectly legal, permitted and legitimate way of using a boat. 

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it should be lumped together with illegal towpath squatters.

• Greenie 1

16 hours ago, tree monkey said:

It's not that confusing, a word that was used for generations to belittle and demean is now being used by those it was used against to "own" the history in an ironic way.

Words like this are often used as well to signify being part of a gang or being good friends and  limited in use to that gang, a sign of pride and friendship in a way.

As an example, a ex military friend of mine tells of a time he worked in a small team of of 4, 3 white blokes and a black bloke, the right to use the "N" word was given by the black chap and accepted as banter within the close knit team (amongst other terms of abuse/friendship) but if anyone else used the word a very severe talking too would be had, it was a sign of trust and friendship

I have seen this many times whilst in the Army. The nearest I have come to it in civil life was at my local Indian restaurant, where Mush called us pinkies or whities! We went to his sister's wedding in Bradford and had a great time, the invitation shows the level of affection he had for us and for him by us. 

It is interesting walking thru' the streets and markets in Cambodia you keep hearing the shout "Barang" and it travels by 'shout' all across the Market place.

Thinking it maybe meant something like "Fresh bread for sale", and there being no sign of a stall selling bread nearby I asked my Son what they were selling, he replied "it is a warning / notification to all the stall holders that there is a white, western, person in the market"

Didn't worry me at all, but imagine the outcry if similar were to be done here, but substituting 'a person of colour'.

12 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Short dumps are ok. 

It’s the long protracted dumping which can be a strain to the system. 

A dumper is also squatter. 

• Greenie 1