Beta 38 Water Pump

Withywindle

Featured Posts

The water pump on my 2005 Beta 38 (keel cooled) is starting to leak, only slightly at the moment, but I want to carry a spare on board in case it suddenly fails 

There are two different pumps available for the Kubota V1505 engine the difference being the integral impeller size which is either 60 or 69 mm. Ideally I’d rather order the pump rather than removing the pump to measure the impeller then having to wait for the new pump to arrive. 

I’m looking at Jem Engines in Falkirk who seem to offer good quality aftermarket Kubota parts, £75 in this case including a new gasket which I think is pretty reasonable. 

I asked Beta Marine but they weren’t very forthcoming with the impeller size but predictably were very keen to sell me one of their pumps at their usual ‘premium’ price. 

Can anyone advise on the normal impeller size for the Beta 38?

I suspect that Beta would have no idea what sized impeller was in a given engine unless they went back to Kubota with the engine number and Kubota was able and willing to tell them. It may well have altered over the years according to what was available in the quantity Kubota needed at the time. I would caution against relying upon what another boater has unless it is someone like @Eeyore who seems to be on top of the manuals etc.

I am thinking about the various water pump options on the small BMCs that do not seem to be documented, or the various distributors fitted to some petrol engines over the years.

Edited by Tony Brooks
  • Greenie 1

Cant help on which is the correct pump, but if twer me I would change it before it fails, as in straightaway, sods law otherwise will prevail and it will fail when you very least want it to!!

15 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Cant help on which is the correct pump, but if twer me I would change it before it fails, as in straightaway, sods law otherwise will prevail and it will fail when you very least want it to!!

I second that. Engine water pumps are very erratic in their failure mode and can appear to cure themselves for a while. It is very likely that the leaking coolant is also getting into the bearings and rusting them. 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

I suspect that Beta would have no idea what sized impeller was in a given engine unless they went back to Kubota with the engine number and Kubota was able and willing to tell them. It may well have altered over the years according to what was available in the quantity Kubota needed at the time. I would caution against relying upon what another boater has unless it is someone like @Eeyore who seems to be on top of the manuals etc.

I am thinking about the various water pump options on the small BMCs that do not seem to be documented, or the various distributors fitted to some petrol engines over the years.

Same advice as @Tracy D'arth really, just can’t keep up with all the changes nowadays. @Withywindle a few picture showing any obvious differences would of course be most appreciated.

The water pump on my Beta 43, the one on the end of the camshaft with the rubber impeller, Jabsco?? started to leak a couple of years ago. Took the old seal and bearing to the local bearing shop -£3 for new ones.  Fiddly job but still perfect

19 minutes ago, Bee said:

The water pump on my Beta 43, the one on the end of the camshaft with the rubber impeller, Jabsco?? started to leak a couple of years ago. Took the old seal and bearing to the local bearing shop -£3 for new ones.  Fiddly job but still perfect

That would be a fresh water pump, wet exhaust?  I thing the OP is talking about the engine cooling pump in the front of the block.

• 5 months later...

I know this is an oldish post but I thought I’d provide an update…

I was able to get Beta Marine to provide me with the impeller size in the end, however there was some confusion, the parts people told me it was 60mm and technical support guys said 69mm! In the end they had a discussion amongst themselves and agreed upon 60mm. I bought the 60mm pump from Tracpartz a big agricultural/construction parts dealer in The Netherlands, but despite the best intentions didn’t replace it until today. 

Off came the old pump but guess what, it was the 69mm one! Thankfully I was on our Marina so it wasn’t a complete disaster. We’ve recently moved the boat to the Midlands and Bryco the Kubota engine dealer in Daventry is very close by, so I was able to source the correct pump from them immediately and fitted it without any issues. It was a genuine Kubota pump so the sting in the tail was the price, £150 (ouch), which was still cheaper than Beta Marine but only just. I was however impressed with the excellent quality - the pump was made by BTK the exact same one as the original, if it lasts as long it’ll be a good investment. The aftermarket one (probably Chinese) that I would have fitted looked somewhat inferior by comparison. 

So that’s all done. The Kubota part number is 16251 73034 and 16239 73430 for the gasket. 

• Greenie 1