River nene & wide beam

LounMac

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Not forgetting 6'6" air draft to get under the low bridges.

Nene now back on SSA but I'm not surprised. It's going to catch a few people out 😱

Yes indeed, even on the Nene itself. I went under Barnwell bridge again the other day. It's very low. You wouldn't want anything protruding from the roof.

7 minutes ago, sueb said:

Have you actually cruised on a boat this size? This is larger than my bungalow. I suggest if you need this amount of accommodation you need a house

Boo, nasty judgemental post!

What about all the big barges on the Thames and in Europe that people live on? So according to you they should all be living in houses? I'm glad you're not a politician and have no power.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 2
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Yes indeed, even on the Nene itself. I went under Barnwell bridge again the other day. It's very low. You wouldn't want anything protruding from the roof.

Boo, nasty judgemental post!

What about all the big barges on the Thames and in Europe that people live on? So according to you they should all be living in houses? I'm glad you're not a politician and have no power.

We were down barnwell last week too mainly looking at bats and the park with the kids 

23 minutes ago, Owls Den said:

Wide beams errrgghhhh.

Only joking 😅

Forgive my insolence, why would goin through backwards help?

Because the new part of the lock is deeper than the old part so when the water is at the lower level there is more depth by the bottom gates than by the top gates. OK if you are locking up but not if you are locking down.

Only downside is it's a long reverse to the winding hole 😉

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, MtB said:

There is enough ugliness on the system already without another one being added. 

Well there we have your anti widebeam prejudice laid bare. Not because they may not be suitable for the waterways they may be on but rather because you find them 'ugly'.

How sad and pathetic.

2 hours ago, Owls Den said:

Wide beams errrgghhhh.

Only joking 😅

He isn't joking really. 

But there are two more things the OP has possibly overlooked.

1) CRT look set to double the price of a widebeam licence to about £3k a year when they implement the results of the latest boater survey. This might change the calculus of monster widebeam Vs small house for accommodation.

2) In a few short years the government will be defunding CRT probably, which will send the canal system into terminal decline and with it, the value of all the boats floating in it. Does investing £100k+ in a new monster widebeam still make sense in the light of this probability?

6 hours ago, Loddon said:

Plus there is a depth restriction on Stanground that means over 2'7" draft you may have to go through backwards😉

And if you are anything like full length you will then have to travel in reverse gear for about a mile until you can turn to face forwards.

5 hours ago, LounMac said:

What we were thinking was being classed as a continuous cruiser I think it’s 15 miles a year.

Continuous cruising as a licencing option only applies on CRT waterways, and the Nene is run by the Environment Agency.

5 hours ago, MtB said:

He isn't joking really. 

But there are two more things the OP has possibly overlooked.

1) CRT look set to double the price of a widebeam licence to about £3k a year when they implement the results of the latest boater survey. This might change the calculus of monster widebeam Vs small house for accommodation.

2) In a few short years the government will be defunding CRT probably, which will send the canal system into terminal decline and with it, the value of all the boats floating in it. Does investing £100k+ in a new monster widebeam still make sense in the light of this probability?

I didn’t know that tbh but as working full time and my fuel bill for work is over 10k pa still seems like a cheaper option.

where can I find the information on what’s coming in the future?

7 minutes ago, LounMac said:

I didn’t know that tbh but as working full time and my fuel bill for work is over 10k pa still seems like a cheaper option.

Thinking of living on a boat just to save money over a house is madness…and the waterways really don’t need another continuous moorer trying to get away with the bare minimum cruising range…I suggest you look at a house or do a lot more research and hire a few boats first. 

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, frangar said:

Thinking of living on a boat just to save money over a house is madness…and the waterways really don’t need another continuous moorer trying to get away with the bare minimum cruising range…I suggest you look at a house or do a lot more research and hire a few boats first. 

Sorry I was planning on living in a boat for a different lifestyle witch also saves money. What research shall I do?

If you have not already done so, hire a boat for at least two weeks in summer.  Then hire again for two weeks in the middle of winter.  If you are planning to buy a widebeam, hire on locations which favour this style of boats.  Talk to people and look at every aspect of the lifestyle.

As has been said, rivers are living beasts.  Some react quickly to adverse weather and drop equally quickly, some very slowly but for longer.  Both types can be closed for long periods in winter.  Even the canals can become inpassible due to thick ice or snow.

Look at your lifestyle and work needs.  Remember you will have to generate and store every erg of electrical power you use in some way.  Every drop of water will have to be drawn by you.  If you want gas you will have to buy and store it.

A boats only aim in life is to eventually sink.  Hardware constantly degrades and systems eventually fail.  The same can be said for a property.  The difference is it will be you fixing it and maintaining it as boats are much more bespoke and unique.  You could pay professionals to do all this for you....... 

Remember the bespoke and unique bit.  This is where you start paying if you employ third parties to maintain it for you.  A family friend installs bespoke kitchens, bathrooms, bedrooms etc.  He is not cheap!  You are also at the mercy of the professionals skill set.  Some are very good, some not so.  Bit late to find out when the engine fails out in the sticks, electricity and gas runs out and you have to start bow hauling.

A different lifestyle it is.  What it costs depends on your comfort requirements and ability to get stuck in and work at it.

Most importantly is the whole of your family on message.  As you can see we are serial hirers.  There is a reason for this.  My wifes current medical needs preclude living on board.  We looked at it, planned, considered, raised the money and then walked away.  I was born on the banks of the Thames, she is from a farming family.  We are both used to slogging away outdoors in the depths of winter.  Some days it is fun.  Others not so.  If your family is not equally and totally invested in the lifestyle with all it entails you will have problems, and believe me, life bungs enough challenges at you without you making more of your own.

I would wish you luck but, as I have been told many times "The harder you work, the luckier you get"

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1

26 minutes ago, Ken X said:

If you have not already done so, hire a boat for at least two weeks in summer.  Then hire again for two weeks in the middle of winter.  If you are planning to buy a widebeam, hire on locations which favour this style of boats.  Talk to people and look at every aspect of the lifestyle.

As has been said, rivers are living beasts.  Some react quickly to adverse weather and drop equally quickly, some very slowly but for longer.  Both types can be closed for long periods in winter.  Even the canals can become inpassible due to thick ice or snow.

Look at your lifestyle and work needs.  Remember you will have to generate and store every erg of electrical power you use in some way.  Every drop of water will have to be drawn by you.  If you want gas you will have to buy and store it.

A boats only aim in life is to eventually sink.  Hardware constantly degrades and systems eventually fail.  The same can be said for a property.  The difference is it will be you fixing it and maintaining it as boats are much more bespoke and unique.  You could pay professionals to do all this for you....... 

Remember the bespoke and unique bit.  This is where you start paying if you employ third parties to maintain it for you.  A family friend installs bespoke kitchens, bathrooms, bedrooms etc.  He is not cheap!  You are also at the mercy of the professionals skill set.  Some are very good, some not so.  Bit late to find out when the engine fails out in the sticks, electricity and gas runs out and you have to start bow hauling.

A different lifestyle it is.  What it costs depends on your comfort requirements and ability to get stuck in and work at it.

Most importantly is the whole of your family on message.  As you can see we are serial hirers.  There is a reason for this.  My wifes current medical needs preclude living on board.  We looked at it, planned, considered, raised the money and then walked away.  I was born on the banks of the Thames, she is from a farming family.  We are both used to slogging away outdoors in the depths of winter.  Some days it is fun.  Others not so.  If your family is not equally and totally invested in the lifestyle with all it entails you will have problems, and believe me, life bungs enough challenges at you without you making more of your own.

I would wish you luck but, as I have been told many times "The harder you work, the luckier you get"

Thank you for your detailed reply definitely food for thought 

3 hours ago, LounMac said:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/anglian-waterways-bridges-locks-and-facilities-for-boaters

This link will give you much of the information you need at this stage.  Read and understand the Bylaws, as the EA do enforce them fully.

Bod

3 hours ago, LounMac said:

I don't really understand this. Do you mean you work from home and your heating fuel bill is £10k a year? or your petrol costs for travelling to work in the car are £10k a year?

If the former I reckon there must be something wrong with your boiler as my energy costs here in my cottage (larger than your proposed widebeam) are only about £4k a year. On the other hand there is only one of me. On the other, other hand I'm self employed and spent a lot more time here than if I had a proper job. 

Another suggestion would be to buy an existing widebeam and live on that for a while to see how it works for you before commissioning a new build. If you then decide to pack it in, the whole exercise will then have cost you perhaps £50k less as you won't be paying the 'new build premium'. 

Edited by MtB
Speeling.

10k was for fuel for work so I wouldn’t need to work on a boat. My wife has a good job working remotely all we need is internet 2 days a week.

the build out will be done mostly by my self and family(boat builders) so a sailaway seems the best option for us.

4 hours ago, LounMac said:

Sorry I was planning on living in a boat for a different lifestyle witch also saves money. What research shall I do?

Have a wander into White Mills Marina.Be a good afternoon out- they have a lovely cafe and friendly moorers and staff. There are a few I know there that started the same as you, several years later still loving it and now manage to get out on their (huge, widebeam) boats with no dramas sometimes too ...(when ts not on SSA 😀)

Having boatbuilders in the family is certainly a help, but don't underestimate the time involved in fitting out a sailaway. For most people that's measured in years rather than weeks, which isn't ideal if it's also supposed to be a home for you and your kids and a workplace. 

Cost wise, something like this is going to cost a similar amount up front to a widebeam sailaway (or something better with a mortgage...) and a lot less in the long run whilst having a similar amount of internal space and much better insulation. I won't dispute that Nene marinas are prettier than Peterborough and boats much more fun to sail than flats, but from a cost-saving perspective few things make less sense than a brand new widebeam!

19 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

Having boatbuilders in the family is certainly a help, but don't underestimate the time involved in fitting out a sailaway. For most people that's measured in years rather than weeks, which isn't ideal if it's also supposed to be a home for you and your kids and a workplace. 

Cost wise, something like this is going to cost a similar amount up front to a widebeam sailaway (or something better with a mortgage...) and a lot less in the long run whilst having a similar amount of internal space and much better insulation. I won't dispute that Nene marinas are prettier than Peterborough and boats much more fun to sail than flats, but from a cost-saving perspective few things make less sense than a brand new widebeam!

Or there is this for £72k, if accommodation is the primary goal. 

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/64410667/

6352a1393789edce3661b20e4790ce1e3a3cb3bb

15 minutes ago, MtB said:

Or there is this for £72k, if accommodation is the primary goal. 

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/64410667/

6352a1393789edce3661b20e4790ce1e3a3cb3bb

Something like that would come with the boat advantages of pretty marina surroundings and boat disadvantage of marina fees and maintenance costs (yikes, the fees are unusually large and it's non-residential too! lots of other lodge/park home options at marinas in Northants though...)

17 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

Something like that would come with the boat advantages of pretty marina surroundings and boat disadvantage of marina fees and maintenance costs (yikes, the fees are unusually large and it's non-residential too! lots of other lodge/park home options at marinas in Northants though...)

And I've just noticed the insanely high mooring fees too! 

Blackthorn at Ringstead is worth a visit as they have hardstanding, access for cranes and accommodate wide craft. If you visit, ask where the water level is in flood - you'll be surprised!

Totally impractical to CC on the Nene on a boat of those dimensions and it comes under the Environment agency so the CRT 14 day limit and slow enforcement will not apply. 

2 hours ago, BWM said:

Blackthorn at Ringstead is worth a visit as they have hardstanding, access for cranes and accommodate wide craft. If you visit, ask where the water level is in flood - you'll be surprised!

Clive has  extended the dolphins at the end of each pontoon by 5ft, the river can now come up 12ft and we will be safe 😀 won't be able to get to the boat due to the bank being underwater.

One year it did get to within 6" of the top of the old dolphins 😱

• Happy 1