Four Counties Ring - Advice and suggestions

EnglishRose

Featured Posts

Hi

We are planning a 10 night/11 day break on the Four Counties Ring, starting from our home moorings at Grindley Brook bridge 28 (we don't need to go through any of Grindley Brook locks). 

We have a 26ft narrow boat so any advice or things we should consider helping us plan I'd be really grateful. We know about Harecastle Tunnel and getting there between 8-12 or prebooking the day before.

4 minutes ago, Pie Eater said:

See the canalplan website and put your details in with preferred daily sailing times.

If you go anti clockwise you could detour up the Caldon canal if you have time.

If you go clockwise you can still do the Caldon, its not one way through Stoke bottom lock, and you then descend Audlem with its vicious bywashes rather than struggle getting into the tail of locks.

• Greenie 1

30 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

No shops between Middlewich and Nantwich! 

Yeah, but possibly a positive.
Basically the Middlewich Arm, either a few hours transit.  or stock up and rest for a few days. 
The Middlewich Arm is great because there’s nothing but country and some cracking views. 

There is a walk down to the pub at Church Minshall, but again no shop of I remember right.

32 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Just go Church Minshull and chill for 10 days. 

There’s a very good pub you need to visit on the Shroppie, at High Offley….if only I could remember the name. 

Its the Anchor - lots of character but in terms of real ale its not really a lot to write home about. There are plenty of other pubs on the Ring that are canal side or close proximity that are a lot better than the Anchor..

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, StephenA said:

Its the Anchor - lots of character but in terms of real ale its not really a lot to write home about. There are plenty of other pubs on the Ring that are canal side or close proximity that are a lot better than the Anchor..

Shocking

Absolutely shocking !

Name a better one

go on

dare you

very dare you 

Just now, Goliath said:

Shocking

Absolutely shocking !

Name a better one

go on

dare you

very dare you 

The Badger, The  Holy Inadequate, George and the Dragon,  The Cheshire Cheese..... The Red Lion and  The Sandbrook Vaults in Market Drayton, The White Bear in Middlewich

3 minutes ago, StephenA said:

The Badger, The  Holy Inadequate, George and the Dragon,  The Cheshire Cheese..... The Red Lion and  The Sandbrook Vaults in Market Drayton, The White Bear in Middlewich

Agree with you about the Holy Inadequate and White Bear plus i would throw in the Blue Bell also on that stetch and the Swan, Borehole and the Titanic pub whose name i have forgotten in Stone. The kidneys take a bit of a thrashing over them few days/weeks when in that area. Can't place the George and Dragon if you can helpme out. Agree about the Anchor regarding the beer quality but the pub is good.

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, Steve_C said:

Agree with you about the Holy Inadequate and White Bear plus i would throw in the Blue Bell also on that stetch and the Swan, Borehole and the Titanic pub whose name i have forgotten in Stone. The kidneys take a bit of a thrashing over them few days/weeks when in that area. Can't place the George and Dragon if you can helpme out. Agree about the Anchor regarding the beer quality but the pub is good.

G&tD is in Gnosall Village opposite the Horns (which isn't a bad pub in itself).

31 minutes ago, StephenA said:

The Holy Inadequate 👍

the rest are goodish,

you can’t put the Cheshire Cheese in the mix?

16 minutes ago, Steve_C said:

16 minutes ago, Steve_C said:

blue bell pretty good,

borehole great

the Anchor tops them

if you don’t get the Anchor 🤷‍♀️what can I say?

😃

11 minutes ago, StephenA said:

G&tD is in Gnosall Village opposite the Horns (which isn't a bad pub in itself).

Yes, that ticks my list too 🍺

7 minutes ago, Goliath said:

The Holy Inadequate 👍

the rest are goodish,

you can’t put the Cheshire Cheese in the mix?

blue bell pretty good,

borehole great

the Anchor tops them

if you don’t get the Anchor 🤷‍♀️what can I say?

😃

Yes, that ticks my list too 🍺

Last time we were in the CC all the beers were in fine form.

From a beer point of view the Anchor is Wadworth 6x, and only an OK pint of it to be honest.

14 minutes ago, StephenA said:

Yes! Of course it is. Cracking friendly pub, excellent beers and not overpiced iirc. Been in a couple of time. Good chippy on walk back to canal.

• Greenie 2

18 minutes ago, StephenA said:

Last time we were in the CC all the beers were in fine form.

From a beer point of view the Anchor is Wadworth 6x, and only an OK pint of it to be honest.

This is where we differ

I’ve just had 5 superb pints, each a different type, couldn’t get better beer,

could have stayed for more, for they were moorish,

fresh and tip top condition, 

but the pub was pretty empty, 

maybe 3 other people at any time,

in a big pub

Id rather have 1 6X in a local pub with natter and gossip, 
and the chance someone might turn up with guitar or whatever ( but not accordion, penny whistle, bag pipes or spoons)

and then the 1 pint turns in to a session 😃

• Haha 1

Away from beer Nantwich has an excellent butcher, baker, fishmonger and cheese shop and its a lovely walk into the town from the canal. Penkridge has Jaspers bakery which in our opinion is only matched by Wedgies at Hockley Heath for cream cakes!! The butcher at Penkridge is also good note they and Jaspers are shut on Mondays. Audlem is a must for the Mill shop which has all things relating to canal books etc. There is an honesty box at the top of the flight which sells good cakes.

We prefer to go down the locks from Harecastle to Middlewich as the locks are very fierce fillers and boat control can be difficult - you might be OK as you only have a short boat. and can stay at the very back of the locks - we can't do this with our 62ft one.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Ex Brummie said:

The Emperors New Clothes, if you can catch it open.

The last time we did the four counties and the Caldon we had lots of excellent beer in various pubs, but definitely not in the Anchor -- stale 6X, mmm.... not 😞

Lovely pub, shame about the beer...

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 1